What's new

Need some button help..better pics of snake button..I put it on the scanner

jpitt1970

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
343
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
Huntsville. Al
Both found near Manassas on parent's neighbor's property

1st..apparant navy button..one peice, concave..eagle on branch sheild w/ anchor to right, surrounded by 13 stars. wreath on back, cannot make out maker's mark.

2nd..snake swallowing tail around rim around field of 13 stars..1 peice button, shank missing, but solder visible. no maker's mark, just reverse image of front.
 

Attachments

  • Button1.webp
    Button1.webp
    866 bytes · Views: 604
  • Button4.webp
    Button4.webp
    1.3 KB · Views: 557
  • Button3.webp
    Button3.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 552
  • scan001001.webp
    scan001001.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 683
  • scan002001.webp
    scan002001.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 720
Re: Need some button help..

Post a close up of the snake, that is a banner find!

Considered Rev War period military or political and very collectible!!!

Listed as AUS.b. (page 146) in Military Buttons of the American Revolution (Don Troiani)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

Whoa cool buttons The top one is a US navy about 1810 or so and Iron patch is right on with other. I dug one of those navies in an 1863 New York camp near Warrenton years ago.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

I'll try to get a better pic later, unfortunately that was as good a pic as I could get, even w/ the macro setting...my camera sucks..
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

Is there an old house or house site where you dug them? I would be back there pounding that place to death.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

jpitt, The snake biting tail is a patriotic (Albert PC 4 (RV 25)

The other scan is too small for my eyes to see clearly enough to be sure of variety.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

vayank54 said:
Is there an old house or house site where you dug them? I would be back there pounding that place to death.
Pounded it has been, but back in the late 80's & early 90's.
The neighbor's farmhouse is shown on all the battle maps of the area and was used as a field hospital. It was burned down during one of the battles & rebuilt on the original foundation after the 2nd battle of Bull Run.....really close to the unfinished railroad, Sudley Church & Catharpin Post office...a mile or so north of the "Stone House"..New York troops were stationed on our property for 72hrs. There is actually a cannonball in the foundation of my Parent's house..the original owner was in the process of excavating it out and left for a while to get help with it, when he came back, the concrete was poured....
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

I know the area and probably hunted myself back in the 70's. I had a friend who lived on featherbed lane almost across from Deep Cut and he knew a lot of people around there. we did really well in that area. That's a shame about the cannon ball. I hope you get some more good things out of that place. Do you live in Manassas? I lived in Manassas Park for about 20 years and moved back out to the Catlett area. just wondering if we might have met sometime.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

vayank54 said:
I know the area and probably hunted myself back in the 70's. I had a friend who lived on featherbed lane almost across from Deep Cut and he knew a lot of people around there. we did really well in that area. That's a shame about the cannon ball. I hope you get some more good things out of that place. Do you live in Manassas? I lived in Manassas Park for about 20 years and moved back out to the Catlett area. just wondering if we might have met sometime.

I'm in Florida now, my folks still live there, on what is now Old Farm Ln..it was an unnamed street when I lived there. I graduated from Stonewall in '88
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

jpitt1970 said:
vayank54 said:
I know the area and probably hunted myself back in the 70's. I had a friend who lived on featherbed lane almost across from Deep Cut and he knew a lot of people around there. we did really well in that area. That's a shame about the cannon ball. I hope you get some more good things out of that place. Do you live in Manassas? I lived in Manassas Park for about 20 years and moved back out to the Catlett area. just wondering if we might have met sometime.

I'm in Florida now, my folks still live there, on what is now Old Farm Ln..it was an unnamed street when I lived there. I graduated from Stonewall in '88

Oh Ok I think I know which road you mean. I graduated from Brentsville, Yes, cow pie high, in 72 Oh well just thought we might know each other. Guess not though.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Need some button help..

vayank54 said:
jpitt1970 said:
vayank54 said:
I know the area and probably hunted myself back in the 70's. I had a friend who lived on featherbed lane almost across from Deep Cut and he knew a lot of people around there. we did really well in that area. That's a shame about the cannon ball. I hope you get some more good things out of that place. Do you live in Manassas? I lived in Manassas Park for about 20 years and moved back out to the Catlett area. just wondering if we might have met sometime.

I'm in Florida now, my folks still live there, on what is now Old Farm Ln..it was an unnamed street when I lived there. I graduated from Stonewall in '88

Oh Ok I think I know which road you mean. I graduated from Brentsville, Yes, cow pie high, in 72 Oh well just thought we might know each other. Guess not though.
I forgot about calling Brentsville "cow pie high"..thats funny
 
Upvote 0
They have bumper stickers now that have a picture of a cow, the pie symbol and HI. Sadly soon there will be no more cow pie high. They are building a new school about 3 or 4 miles away. I am working there and dug a couple gardner bullets, a couple roundballs and flat buttons and a really rough Va half penny.
 
Upvote 0
Every time I go back home, I get lost!!! There is so much new crap built and the friggin illegals are overrunning the place, my sister calls it Manaxico.
 
Upvote 0
There have been some discussions about putting a gate on 234 @ the Stone house & another @ Featherbed ln with only residents & guests having a transponder to open them.waaaay to much traffic through the area now
 
Upvote 0
jpitt1970 said:
Every time I go back home, I get lost!!! There is so much new crap built and the friggin illegals are overrunning the place, my sister calls it Manaxico.
I can understand that. They have built up the area like crazy. It's like that until you get out to Nokesville and then it hasn't changed much. Yep I've called Manassas the same thing. My wife got mad at me. I said I was going to have a shirt made up. "AMERICA, taken from the Indians and given to the ........." Hmm I'd better not say anymore about that on here ha ha
 
Upvote 0
jpitt1970 said:
There have been some discussions about putting a gate on 234 @ the Stone house & another @ Featherbed ln with only residents & guests having a transponder to open them.waaaay to much traffic through the area now
I hadn't heard that but that would suck. Man a gate at 234 would really screw things up. Featherbed wouldn't be so bad but since both go through parts of the battlefield that would make it hard for visitors to get to those sites. there has to be something better that can be done. But that might require thinking and some hard work. Might be a bit much to ask of our public officials.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom