What's new

Need some good advice

Truth

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
14,366
Reaction score
32,167
Golden Thread
2
Location
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 1872 rare New Orleans token made of copper. The token it bent like a taco shell. What is the proper way to flatten it out?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Upvote 2
110a8aee4d87ad7fb2ee41efa13804cb.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I place items between two thin pieces of wood. I place the "sandwich" in a vise and slowly crank it until flat! Best of luck, Sub 8-)
 
Nice find! Take great care when straightening the token use wood on both sides as "Subterranean" said and compress it slowly. The larger bend is almost at 90 degrees, may need a slight bend backward before using that method. GL & HH
 
You don't need an actual "vise" - a mid-size C-clamp will work fine.Just a little more awkward to use.

...Unless you wanna buy a vise to hold the C-clamp?!?!? :dontknow:
 
CAREFUL, IMO that might break it. If I were going to try and straighten it. I'd heat it up some first.
Good luck, easy does it, a little at a time and try to spread out the bend as to not stress in just one area, especially at first.
 
Why flatten it? It is one of a kind now.
The rim area will remain uneven where bent unless damaged.
Anywhere your padded material touches it ,when pressure is applied can at least remove the patina ,if not worse.
Do pad any compression device used. While vice jaw caps can be used ,they are protective more on flat stock than curved.
 
CAREFUL, IMO that might break it. If I were going to try and straighten it. I'd heat it up some first.
Good luck, easy does it, a little at a time and try to spread out the bend as to not stress in just one area, especially at first.

That's what I'm afraid of. I do think a little heat would be necessary.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Why flatten it? It is one of a kind now.
The rim area will remain uneven where bent unless damaged.
Anywhere your padded material touches it ,when pressure is applied can at least remove the patina ,if not worse.
Do pad any compression device used. While vice jaw caps can be used ,they are protective more on flat stock than curved.

I don't know I would just like to see it in a case. And I do appreciate your advice :) I also found this the other day the blue my mind and rock my world.
b3467ec6a109060323633bcb047ec921.jpg
d44589e8ecce7a0f792e3d0b88d9b410.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Wow! That is a nice large piece of silver, Congratulations! :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom