What's new

Need some help IDing this coin

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2008
Messages
2,445
Reaction score
176
Golden Thread
0
Location
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this coin while detecting in Springfield, Oregon and don't
know what it is. One side says "copy" at the bottom of the coin and
the other side has what looks to be a Roman or Greek lettering that
I don't know. The coin seems to be brass that was pressed between
to plates of some sort and then antiqued. I suspect it may be a token
of some sort but would appreciate information from this forum to help
with the ID, a possible date or where it originally came from if possible.
Thanks ..............Gold Nuggets :hello:
 

Attachments

  • P7210102.webp
    P7210102.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 632
  • P7210101.webp
    P7210101.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 629
I think it may be one of the Readers Digest giveaways like I said earlier. http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57095

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57095

As you might guess from the word "COPY" stamped into the reverse, it's not a genuine coin. It's a modern replica of an ancient coin; every year one or two of them pop up here on the forum. They were apparently produced as part of a promotion for a Reader's Digest book on Ancient Greece; the large hole in the middle of the obverse was added to these replicas so they could be glued onto a piece of cardboard. There are several entries of this coin on the FORVM fake ancient coins database; this listing explains their origin.
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fakes/displayimage.php?pos=-3715
 

Attachments

  • coins replica of ancient greece.webp
    coins replica of ancient greece.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 625
  • coin greekGela%20Tetradrachm.webp
    coin greekGela%20Tetradrachm.webp
    11.2 KB · Views: 668
  • coins replica of ancient greece.webp
    coins replica of ancient greece.webp
    6.6 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0
You guys are terrific when it comes to quick IDs and
excellent documentation for the coin in question. I
sincerely thank all of the responders for the ID of the
coin and will mark this one as "solved".
Gold Nuggets :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
That replica was conceived by Dory Development Company (DDC) and initially sold by DDC and the Charlton Mint.
Don.....
So available for anyone to buy, good imfo Don :thumbsup:

SS
 
Upvote 0
Mackaydon said:
That replica was conceived by Dory Development Company (DDC) and initially sold by DDC and the Charlton Mint.
Don.....
I spend a lot of time here and consider this guy to be an authority on coins.
 
Upvote 0
I remember my Grandpa getting one of those with his Readers Digest probably 20 years ago.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom