Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's a hugh callenge to find all the links from the first of my clan, but i'll keep researching.
adam-eve.jpg

Don........

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some more interesting Great Grandfathers. :skullflag:

Attachments

• 13th GGF Soloman Side.jpg
    13th GGF Soloman Side.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 139
  • rev rev.jpg
    rev rev.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are a few "highlights" from my Ancestry.com DNA results, and now over 780-hours of research and detective work. There is no narration, just some music. It is part of a file I have put together for my kids, and grandkids. :skullflag:

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,

About 10 years ago I joined Ancestry.com and started on my family tree. I got so into it and found it so interesting that when I went on line working on it, I wound up spending 10 to 12 hours a day. I kept running into a dead end regarding my g grandfather on my fathers side and I didn't know why. The rest of my family, on both sides although pure German, were Pennsylvania Dutch and therefore there were pretty clear family records back into the early 1700's and beyond. I hired a professional genealogy investigator off of Ancestry back about 9 years ago now and paid $2000.00 to find out info on the g grandfather who turned out to be from Germany. For that two grand, I found out the ship he came here on with my g grandmother, the date he left and arrived here and where he left from in Germany and the name of the ship. More info would cost me more money so I declined going further in that direction back then. Please keep in mind that I was and had been a professional investigator for many years, so I was aware that as an investigator your contacts were very important and also that data bases that you enroll in do cost money. I just thought, as a professional, that although the info I received was helpful and truthful, it was VERY expensive for what I got as results. About 6 years ago I got off Ancestry.com and stayed off for 6 years until about two months ago when my 87 year old mother in law asked me to do the search on her family tree. Now, I'm back on Ancestry.com again working both her tree and my family tree again.

As has already been said, BE VERY CAREFUL on Ancestry about what info you use and incorporate into your tree, especially several generations back. Check and double check what you put into your tree as your line. Also, the member who commented about finding someone in another country to barter with for researching records is a great idea and jump on that offer to help you get into that. You are very lucky that member offered to share that with you. Good Luck Terry. If I can help a fellow Vet with any of this just holler Bro.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you most sincerely Unclebuck257!!! :occasion14:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was doing some work on FamilySearch.org today and got a bit of a scare. I was reading about the history of a member of my father's family about 8 or 10 generations back. Using their feature to show the link to me, it came back showing a link through my mother's family!! Looked like my parents may have been related a few hundred years ago. As it turns out, there was some bad data put in there, involving 2 different people with the same name and year of birth. However, I did find the link through my father's family to George Washington. Apparently they were proud of being related to him as there are a couple of people in the tree named George Washington 'Last name'.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot help, but I would like to find out where I came from
you think ancestry is good?

Ancestry has a lot of really helpful stuff but is quite expensive. I would recommend trying to access it from a library or something, my library gives me ancestry.com (with the library version, slightly more limited than normal but still quite nice). With the library version you can only access it from a library but my library gives me access to something that I can get to from my home computer called heritage quest online. From what I see it is pretty much the same thing as ancestry but free. I would recommend trying out the things you can access from the library and there are also a good number of free websites out there. Try checking out familysearch.com. There are others also, and historical societies can be helpful to.

It might be a good idea to start out with the free things to get back a little ways and see if you really do want to invest in a subscription website like ancestry.com

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried contacting your local Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Church)?
They probably have been to Cheshire England and copied and archived all the parish records that may have existed 'back in the day'.
Unless your earliest known ancestor is of prominence (nobility) the chances are great there may be no earlier record.
Don........

All Mormon info. Is on family search.org for free.and do is rootsweb.com.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be on the lookout for spelling changes in last names. I have run into several of them. O' Sullivan to Sullivan, Childress to Childers, even my own. My immigrant Clore family member was Michael Klarr. Fortunately lots of research done already on the 2nd Germanna Colony in VA. You might go to that sight and look around if you have early VA ancestors. I'm also lucky that Michael's written records go back to 1500's in a church in Germany. In early times church records are the best, if not only, sources. Early American genetic pool was not that big. My wife and I have found several cross connections, even some shared family members.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Using 23andme I found a third cousin in Western USA. I did some digging and found that my grandmother's grandfather had descendants, running across the USA, and finally connecting to her. But, that was not third cousin, much farther apart. So, there is another link for her as third cousin. I think I know how, but it will be hard to prove.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone wants some FREE help on the genealogy send me a PM. I would now qualify as a professional genealogist and researcher but don't want to bother with that additional certifications. And I don't really want another job. But if anyone wants some free help, let me know. I have 11 proven lineages for the DAR and am also a member of the Jamestown Society. With those two organizations, EVERYTHING has to be documented, so I scored big!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My DNA results are back, and it has made tracing my family line much, much, more precise! I can trace the Soloman/Solomon line unbroken, back to 1390. On my mother's side, I can trace the Goodwin family back to 1535. Some interesting relatives:

Sir William Bradford (Knight; Lord of Walton Steeton) Fairfax 1405—1453 15th Great Grandfathereat-grandfather

Sir Thomas Gibson, Baron Gibson of Durie, Clerk of the Sessions for The Scottish High Court 1469—1515 15th Great Grandfather

Sir Andrew Judde, Knight, Lord High Mayor of London, Mayor of Calais, Master of Skinner's Co, Merchant Adventurer, 1492-1588 13th Great Grandfather

Pictured: My Great Grandmother Florence Rowe, with my Grandmother Lillian, and her brothers Jim and John. My Grandmother Lillian, with her husband, Col. James L. Miller, and Gene Autry, in Hollywood.

6-6-22 (1).jpg

Looks like our families came from the same neighborhoods.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
......and then there is the complication of adoptions....
Also secret adoptions, though without DNA that may not be apparent. In times when unwed motherhood not only ruined the girl, but the whole family, if a girl got pregnant, she and her mother hid away and the baby was eventually presented as a sibling , not a child. And, many years ago, raping the local women was very common during invasion.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Like in Ukraine?
I have no idea what is happening over there. I know a lot has been said but propaganda mills are running strong so I cannot say with personal confidence what is really happening, But, yes, if there is mass rape then that would be the same, of course. I do not want to get gigged for politics here.

In fact, the only reason I mentioned it, is because it is extremely relevant in genealogy. But, a lDS woman told me that her church does not care about true blood, only the family structure. I sort of like that because I am very paternal and not all my daughters; and nieces; and granddaughters are actually my blood relatives.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piegrande, if any of your relatives want to get into any of the big societies like the DAR, or Jamestown Society or Order of the Magna Charta, it is by blood. Now adopted people can also get in, by use of DNA tracing to birth parents.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Piegrande, if any of your relatives want to get into any of the big societies like the DAR, or Jamestown Society or Order of the Magna Charta, it is by blood. Now adopted people can also get in, by use of DNA tracing to birth parents.
I don't know much about those societies. A cousin who is a very determined genealogist did come up with a connection to a man who moved to, I think, Jamestown in 1622, Again, this is by memory, so it could be another town. There weren't too many towns in 1620

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
I joined geni and put in enough relatives I knew of and the company connected as many more as they got from other member's tree! Then one day I got a message from geni that I was related to Eleanore Roosevelt. And later I figured out if I took a famous person and googled them with the word geni, it would compare my lines because I stayed logged in and told me HOW I Was Related! And OMG, my mom's family came from the first English monarchy! Plantagenet group and Welch Kings from before England was formed And since they use to marry princesses off to other King's sons, I am distantly related to early Monarchies(Usually Queens) from Denmark and several others. Then I tried the Roman Emperors and geni showed how many great(26-35) great grandfather's certain ones were to me! It was shock and awe all the way. I never paid for any of this information at all. It took like 7 years on geni to discover ALL of this!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread