Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think it is similar to how the grain weight works for bullets. The heavier it is the harder it hits. Maybe that makes sense.
Or like the metal clip on the nose of a balsa wood glider; changing its orientation can significantly change flight characteristics.

Position of the bannerstone on a spear shaft (front, middle, rear) could modify the spear's flight characteristics.

This is all just SWAG, of course. 🤪

Kinda reminds me of those Roman dodecahedrons found all over Europe; common enough, but nobody really knows for sure what they're for... 🤓

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gut feeling looking closer at it is that it is a reproduction.

This wing butterfly banner is a style I have not seen in the past.

You only show the one side and the hole angle. Please show the other side.

These lines indicate a sander, possibly a belt sander.
View attachment 2138626
Yep, those lines would not be there if it was genuine artifact and the hole does not like right either. 99.9% chance it is reproduction.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a few rocks in there ... yeh . But I had used the banner stones to mark that shell so I could go get my phone.
Sorry, not seeing it, going to have to draw arrow point to banners stone.

Last edited:

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Icircled them in blue. They're a style referred to as the pick style. Usually they are found with holes through the center. The earlier made one (like these) don't have holes, they have a groove across the outside. I left them at my parents with other shell items I found that day.

Attachments

• 20231223_134501.jpg
    20231223_134501.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are calling them bannerstones? Where are the holes, never seen any completed bannerstone with out a hole and there are no grooves visible in pictures,

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
You are calling them bannerstones? Where are the holes, never seen any completed bannerstone with out a hole and there are no grooves visible in pictures
I am in fact calling them bannerstones. I found them in Arkansas. It wasn't until recently that I figured out what they were myself. I'm not sure of the material they're made from. I've never seen it here in the south. To be honest I think they're on the rarer side because they don't have the holes and are primarily from a specific area. I hit a gravel/sandbar on the creek there in Arkansas and found these, a shark tooth, Puck style game stone, shell pendant and 3 unordinary shells one being a cup, one center holed gorget with animal on it and the other not sure. Oh and the bottom of a clay pot.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in fact calling them bannerstones. I found them in Arkansas. It wasn't until recently that I figured out what they were myself. I'm not sure of the material they're made from. I've never seen it here in the south. To be honest I think they're on the rarer side because they don't have the holes and are primarily from a specific area. I hit a gravel/sandbar on the creek there in Arkansas and found these, a shark tooth, Puck style game stone, shell pendant and 3 unordinary shells one being a cup, one center holed gorget with animal on it and the other not sure. Oh and the bottom of a clay pot.
Take them to an artifact show and see what they say.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
they look like antler to me.

Most pick bannerstones are made of anything from slate. Other material may be Chlorite, Quartz, but most are slate.

the next arkansas show is April 12-14 at Northwest Holiday Inn Convention Center, Springdale, Fri 10:00 am Sat/Sun 8:00 am

I agree with Treasure_Hunter that taking them to the show if possible would be useful information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread