Need to hear something really exciting!!!

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am feeling kind of low here lately... As far as detecting goes... This is one of the only things that I have done on my own. Completely on my own. No one I knew started detecting before me. Lets start a thread about how we got into this hobby. I am sure there has been many of conversations about this before but let's put it all in one thread. Here is my story. I will keep it short and simple.

My grandpa bought me my first detector back when I was about 7 years old. Of course I was a stubborn kid and wasn't interested. I put it up in the barn and didn't touch it for around 14 years. Then one day I ran across it got it out and found around 20 wheat pennies in my parents yard. And me, with the obsessive personality I have, I had to take it more serious. That's when I found this forum and all you great people.

Lets hear your stories

Upvote 0

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started about 2 months ago. I've always been sorta intrigued by the idea but never thought much of it.

I started coin roll hunting and found this forum and posted in the CRH board for a bit. I got bored one night and started checking out the metal detecting and today's finds forum. I mentioned that I want to try it to my boss and he said that he had an old MD in his shed that I can borrow. The day after using it I bought a Fisher F2 and now I'm completely hooked.

I already want to upgrade lol

Sledgod2

May 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I let a buddy of mine stay at my place for a couple of months so he could be closer to his job site and in return he gave me his old Bounty Hunter Quick DrawII. Didn't take me long to get hooked... I'm fairly confident I'm going to get an XP Deus this winter as a Xmas gift to myself... Then it's time to pay it forward and give the BH to someone else that's thinking of getting into MDing:icon_thumleft:

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked in a factory in '84, and there was this middle aged lady everyone said was nuts. She and her husband would use their vacation time to go South and hunt for the lost Confederate gold. She would go to a psychic who she claimed would go into a trance and draw pictures of the treasure's location, not a map, but trees and hills and fields etc. I got to know her and thought it was all pretty funny...until she brought in some of their finds to show me...Changed my attitude!!!

She recommended a Garrett master Hunter 7, got one and my first ever dig was a (dateless) Standing Quarter! Used that MH7 untill last Sept...can't believe it gone :sad1: (The new GTP is gettin' the job done though!)

OP
OP
bmelvin20

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worked in a factory in '84, and there was this middle aged lady everyone said was nuts. She and her husband would use their vacation time to go South and hunt for the lost Confederate gold. She would go to a psychic who she claimed would go into a trance and draw pictures of the treasure's location, not a map, but trees and hills and fields etc. I got to know her and thought it was all pretty funny...until she brought in some of their finds to show me...Changed my attitude!!!

She recommended a Garrett master Hunter 7, got one and my first ever dig was a (dateless) Standing Quarter! Used that MH7 untill last Sept...can't believe it gone :sad1: (The new GTP is gettin' the job done though!)

That's a funny story! Love to hear stuff like that. Crazy lady must have been doing something right.

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a funny story! Love to hear stuff like that. Crazy lady must have been doing something right.

That was 30 years ago, I haven't thought about her in a quite a while. I was a teenager and that was my first full time job...that lady had bayonets, belt plates, smashed musket balls she claimed had spirits attached to them, and all kinds of silver coins and buttons from battlefields. She would talk of hearing voices from the past in old trees, and of shadow people soldiers passing by at the sites they would night hunt. Gave me cold chills in the middle of a workday...now I'm wondering what became of her. Too few people like her in the world.

ironman

Aug 16, 2012
The Woodlands,Texas
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to find gold and silver and coins now I do it for the hunt more than anything never know what might be hiding

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started with a magnet on a stick after a injury that put me out of work. I was looking for meteorites. I soon found out there is many types of hunting, and detectors. First year or so I used a bounty hunter, and had no clue how good it could get. I made the jump to a better more advanced machine and started finding gold and silver in the parks. I also like to take it to old campsites where I usually find someones buried trash. Seems that is the new way to dispose of your trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread