What's new

Needing a translation ASAP

N. Drake

Jr. Member
Joined
May 1, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I'm looking for anyone who can translate some spanish for me. Its old, like from the 1600's, and it think it may deal directly with the treasure hunt I'm working on currently. If anyone can help me out let me know and I will post a picture of what needs translating.

Thanks
Nate.
 
Have you tried the "Google translator" ? Worked good for me.
 
Yeah, I've been working with some different translators but its not been working well because the language has changed so much.
 
It's a long shot but maybe approach a university in Spain they should have some linguists on staff who could handle it
for you.

Regards + HH

Bill
 
the name Iluian mean anything to any spanish historians?
 
I cannot read nor write Spanish, I have enough problems with English.
 
There's a couple from the University of Santa Clara, who have written some books on the history of the CA missions, by utilizing Spanish language records (diarys, mission records, etc....). I heard a presentation from them, when they were giving some lectures at a talk I attended. And yes, the writings are a bit different than modern spoken spanish. Not only because perhaps language changed, but also because in written form it was "formal" back then, verses perhaps what they spoke, which was not "formal". Anyhow, if you need to be hooked up with these persons, let me know. What is the source of the thing you need translated by the way? A treasure map? :)
 
Since you offered, post the sentences you wish to have translated.
I have no doubt someone in this Forum will nail the translation.
Seeing the words in a sentence may facilitate the translation versus giving us word by word.
Don.........
 
It read - El tesoro está enterrado en el arghhh

meaning

The treasure is buried in the arghhh... :tongue3:
 
Family Search indexing, the Latter Day Saints project to digitalize old records, has a very good training section on old Spanish. Some characters have nothing in common with modern characters.

The best thing to do, unless it is secret, is to post it here. A year or two ago, we had such a project, and in the end I think they translated it. It had something to do with building a fort, or something like that. Anyone remember?
 
poblaciondebaldi00agui_0005.webpspt2.webp
These are the two things i need translated to get an idea of what i'm dealing with, if anyone can help out i'll post more pages. I'm looking for the spanish gold in springfield mo still if anyone else has been working that case.

Thanks
Nate.
 
iulian 1810.webpATTACH=CONFIG]699157[/ATTACH]
Yeah, that was my bad. It is Iulian. Here's the pics of were I found the inscription. One i went over in paint so it could be seen better.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    49.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Hey Nate,

I tried to look up Iulian on some academic databases I have access to and, although my Spanish is a little rusty, I discovered the name of a poet called Iulian (Julian in some sources) del Casal. He spent time in Cuba amongst other areas, but unfortunately, this individual was born in 1863 and died in 1893, so he's out of your date range. However, this could perhaps be the name of a decendant? The Spanish often shared names through generations, and writers of all kinds are notorious for marking their names on sites... Egypt is a prime example! Casal could be a family name too, as in Iulian (del=of the) Casal.

Hope this helps, I'm still studying a little Spanish, but happy to help in any translating I can.

And by the way; sic parvis magna ;)

Cheers,

J Wiltshire
 
Hey thanks J Wiltshire

sic parvis magna is right!

I'm planning on taking a metal detector out there asap and see what i can find. the only problem is its about an 8 mile hike through dense forest to get to the cave... not an ideal location. I guess I could float the river up but I don't have a canoe..
 
View attachment 699152View attachment 699153
These are the two things i need translated to get an idea of what i'm dealing with, if anyone can help out i'll post more pages. I'm looking for the spanish gold in springfield mo still if anyone else has been working that case.

Thanks
Nate.

Here's my crack at Page 1. I'm at work now, so I don't have time for Page 2, but I'll give it a go just as soon as I do. Good luck!

"PUBLICATION OF BALDIVIA. MOTIVES, AND METHODS FOR THAT FOUNDATION. DEFENSES OF THE KING OF PERU, TO RESIST the enemy invasions by sea, and land. PEACE REQUESTED BY THE INDIAN REBELS OF CHILE, ACCEPTED, AND SURRENDERED by the Governor: and stated that they have until the ninth of April of the year 1647. AD. PHILIPO IIII. N. S. The compassionate, Catholic King of Spain. and Emperor of the Indias. By the Master Father Fray Miguel of Aguirre, of the Order of Saint Aguflin, Qualifier of the Holy Office, Highest Professor of Scholastic Theology in the Real University of the Kings. Year of 1647. Printed in Lima, in the house of Julian Santos of Saldaña, By Jorge Lopez of Herrera."

EDIT: Now that I actually read it (and tried to decipher Page 2), this doesn't look like it's going in the direction of any clue towards the disclosure of a hidden treasure. Also, the second page has a lot of bleed from the text behind the page, which makes it very difficult to read. Can you try to copy that page again, but cleaner? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Hey thanks Victor!
I can't get much of a better picture b/c its from an online book I found.
The name I found on the cave wall matched the a name in the book but it could be a false lead b/c it could be a common name..
Having ties to the king of Spain though makes it is interesting.
Thanks again for the help man!
 
Hey thanks Victor!
I can't get much of a better picture b/c its from an online book I found.
The name I found on the cave wall matched the a name in the book but it could be a false lead b/c it could be a common name..
Having ties to the king of Spain though makes it is interesting.
Thanks again for the help man!

Oh, okay. It's just really tough to read with the bleed-through from the text on the opposite page.

Whatever happens, I hope you find the treasure! We're rooting for you!!! :icon_thumright:

Take care...
 
The wife is Mexican, not Spanish and she could read the book pretty easily, but the ornamental writing gave her trouble at first. She looked at the carving and said it was Julian, a name, and the date 1810. I'm not an expert on so called Spanish treasure symbols, but maybe you should pay some attention to that 1810. The line with a half circle above the number indicates something and maybe 1810 is not a used as a date. I have seen a lot of inscriptions left by hispanics in the past around this part of the country, and those guys pretty much always included the month and day with the year. Maybe the drawing means a closed tunnel and 1810 is a measurment to how far it is. Just a wild thought and different way to look at it. Good luck and have fun!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom