NEVADAS RULES FOR DETECTING ARE REDICULOUS!!!

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Re: NEVADA'S RULES FOR DETECTING ARE REDICULOUS!!!

if it is end of topic do not respond any more.
Simple: why do folks think public property should be treated any difference then PUBLIC???????
You do NOT own it. Yet you desire to go dig it up. Such is not a normal thing short of the sand box for children.

Of well such Bs should get most public areas shut down with in ten years.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

if it's public property, I am the land owner, that's what public means.
public property is owned and funded by the general public, my taxes pay for it.
it's for the use of the general public. If you destroy it or break a law while on it, then you are causing a problem for others who may wish to use it.
MDing on public property, with the exceptions of historic and or national parks and other places as designated by legislature, is not illegal.
lost causes, you seem like you want to push your values on others, I respect your opinions, but they are just that,
your opinions. they have no bearing on where others MD or how.
It still comes back to RESPECT.
always leave the area better than you found it. PERIOD

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have never encountered any problems hunting in state parks here in Oklahoma. I've been asked if I am finding anything a couple of times. Once a state game ranger told me a lady had lost a ring and there was a reward if I find it. (I didn't) Another time a park employee told me a good spot to look. I think the secret is to be inconspicuous. Don't dig up the area manager's lawn for instance. And how are you or anyone else going to decide how old an object is unless it has a date on it? I don't think it will be a problem unless you make it one. Federal parks and land is a horse of a different color. They will go out of their way to nail your arse. Monty

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sniffer you couldn't have said it better. That is basically the point i was trying to get across to people. that public land is owned by the American tax payer. If lost causes wants to keep this hobby confined to his back yard then let him.

Rylflush

Jun 7, 2012
Of your respectful to the land and people you shouldn't have any problems unless there just power hungry and *****. Respect the land first and foremost. The lake is the only exception, you can't get away with anything there.

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe Causes is a new Gore-Bama green/mineral appointed Tzar & only takes the green bags to the store as well.

What lake? I have permission to hunt on a Natl. Forest lake (which they had to build 20' wide sluices in while Constructing because 5 mill. of gold was bulldozed & sluiced) i can hunt Natural or Beaches or Any way i want , forest boss says so.

D.C. says MD'ing on BLM & Forest is fine (i talked on Phone to Head there) it's only the digging that Requires respect & Common sense short of a full mining Plan on Claim. Some need more Education b4 they Speak , Ken~Digs

Last edited:

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simpy The Standard Forest & BLM Lands (Not Parks, Monuments, Landmarks, etc.) It's Not Prospecting that's not permitted it's The DIGGING OR METHOD OF REMOVAL & THE AMOUNT OF IT, PERIOD. Also No Artifacts, Aniquities, the Standard No-No's.

Last edited:

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ~ included in the Etc. are Road & misc. Closures for : Washouts, Butterflys, Tooth Fairies, Toads, Gargoyles, Special Ferns or Flower, Leprechauns, Rare Birds, Bigfoots, and On & On . Because Lest you Forget , these Flora & Fauna have More Rights Than Taxpayers like Me and You :)

Last edited:

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be thankful that your MDs are battery operated and therefore virtually silent. Where do you think your hobby would be if the detectors were powered
by gas engines, like our dredges?

kenpodetector

Jan 1, 2012
Northern NV. and Kennesaw Ga.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Gold Monster, SDC2300.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected in all places in Nevada including State Parks, City Parks and many Ghost Towns. Never had one problem and of course private property with permission. So maybe this isn't the right hobby for some and watching reruns of Bonanza might better.

I don't even know why we are even bringing the topic of private property up in the first place I started this post on the topic that the laws that are in effect for our public lands, parks etc are ridiculous. It goes without saying of course you ask permission to detect PRIVATE property, I know in my state if you just wonder onto someones property with out permission thats a good way to get shot! end of conversation there is no use even arguing this. Most everyone that has read this agrees with me on this except for lostcauses. like I said end of topic!

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simpy The Standard Forest & BLM Lands (Not Parks, Monuments, Landmarks, etc.) It's Not Prospecting that's not permitted it's The DIGGING OR METHOD OF REMOVAL & THE AMOUNT OF IT, PERIOD. Also No Artifacts, Aniquities, the Standard No-No's.
I have been questioned by BLM , F&G and forest service and i just said i was nugget hunting under the 1872 mining law.
luckly the rangers never ask what was in my bag with the metal trash i picked up.

be a good guy and have a bag just for metal trash you find while MDing and any Artifacts, Aniquities go into the bag with the trash till you get home.

jlfales

Tenderfoot
Mar 22, 2013
Sanford Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Jeff I seen you need a permit to metal detect in Reno Nv. I went to Idewilled Park office ask the lady for a permit she took my driver license filled out my card and i was on my way. She was very nice

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is detecting in ghost towns and old mining camps ok ? i am a little confused
davin

spacewench

Feb 22, 2016
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With 85% of NV land owned/controlled by the federal government, I'd say that makes for a ton more places to detect than any other state in the US.
From the NV BLM website:

"Using metal detectors on public lands: Metal detector use is allowed on public lands. Modern money may be collected, but coins and artifacts more than 100 years old may not be collected."

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The park managers take the easy route and just say NO. It is best to just go detect and keep a low profile. Don't dig any holes, use a screwdriver and leave the place cleaner than you found it. If approached by a "ranger" and told detecting isn't allowed, apologise and say that you didn't know about it and are only looking for some recent coins to maybe buy a coffee or Coke. Smile an show the junk you have found and I used to carry a plastic garbage bag with some trash that I had picked up. This goes a long way toward getting you to detect the area while he looks the other way. You may never get written permission, but you won't need it if you are friendly to the manager. He considers the park his, treat it as such and you will get to detect sometimes.

Well said Sandman! I can't tell you how many times showing nails, razorblades, needles, sharp aluminum can slaw, etc. has changed the mindset of said authorities. Usually I find after they've seen the trash as Sandman stated, they tend to be more favorable toward your presence as they see it having value (you're cleaning up the place).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pocket in my finds bag that I use when land hunting. I keep nails and other trash in it in case I am confronted by park ranger.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
is detecting in ghost towns and old mining camps ok ? i am a little confused
davin

Davin, you'd have to be specific and say what kind of land the ghost town or mining camp is in. Ie.: Federal, state, county, city, or private. And even WITHIN each of those categories, is oft-times different types of land. Ie.: different types of federal land (BLM, NFS, national parks, etc...), and different types of state land (state park land, road right of way, etc...). And then even within each of those could be sub-rules that govern your question: Ie.: whether the coin found was 99, versus 101 yrs. old. (but seriously now, do you think anyone follows you around with a calculator ??)

Just avoid obvious historic monuments and bored archies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread