2.6 MB · Views: 32
Upvote 4
OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Not broken but has a fire pop on it. Good find
On both sides too. Every piece I've dug has been the same way! I wonder if a grass/brush fire would cause that pop? I assume it's hot enough to change the color while the flints on top of the ground but the intensity of heat don't last as long compared to when they heat treated it .

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
On both sides too. Every piece I've dug has been the same way! I wonder if a grass/brush fire would cause that pop? I assume it's hot enough to change the color while the flints on top of the ground but the intensity of heat don't last as long compared to when they heat treated it .
Not a bad question cause the farmers dad when he farmed the same property in the 50s all the way until the 90s used to burn the fields to help fertilize for planting and I often wondered if it didn’t help with some of the colors I found in those fields. All no till now but I’m hoping he will disc it this year but I doubt it.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Not a bad question cause the farmers dad when he farmed the same property in the 50s all the way until the 90s used to burn the fields to help fertilize for planting and I often wondered if it didn’t help with some of the colors I found in those fields. All no till now but I’m hoping he will disc it this year but I doubt it.
I actually found it outside the shelter mixed in with runoff gravel from the shelter above. Both shelters though have hearths. There's a video on youtube about heat treatment for flint. It explains the color change process. I've noticed alot of the flakes I've been seeing are colored red like they've been in a fire. But they even feel different too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread