never gonna forget the copper trail

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
So pleased to be out digging today, we were blessed with plus temps the last couple of days after a snowfall following our last hunt on Monday.

Iron Patch and myself were able to pick up right where we left off, well in the same area; the landowner of the fields had a little chuckle when I showed up at his backdoor again, I still think he thought we were nuts for detecting on a day like today! This morning we were swinging in sideways rain and snow!

But we've been out in much worse!

Hunting some fairly old sites today, and made a few good finds!A few relics, a few buttons, and of course some coins!
Not much to write home about in the relic department, I must have been in the old barnyard of the site when I dug the horse reins pieces and the crotal bell; the unforgettable find was the elephant head, found on my trip back to the car just before we left. I was thinking it was just a scrap of aluminum, until I noticed him starring back at me!

We didn't recieve much button love today ,although we made a last hour dash to an old site that gave up some miltary buttons in the past, all we got were some plain ones and a couple of muskei balls.

Coins for me included a nice five cents silver and some coppers. An 1815 token from our area, a bouquet sou, and a first for me, a Rutherford token from Newfoundland (St, John's variety) Sadly, I hacked this one with my shovel, only my nicest token this year

Quite possibly our last hunt of 2015. I'll be spending Christmas with family, turkey (not IP), and friends, and wishing I could be out digging!

If the temps stay good look for a post around New Years!

Attachments

• uhs.JPG
    uhs.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 104
  • uhc.JPG
    uhc.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 116
  • uhe.JPG
    uhe.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 121
  • uhf.JPG
    uhf.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 98
  • uhr.JPG
    uhr.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 117
  • uhrr.JPG
    uhrr.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Upvote 11

Mudslide

Sep 18, 2005
Brandon,VT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I feel your pain about the nick but it's not as bad as you think. Good job!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
You fellas have done well on the "Trail" for sure....

At the end of the Trail on the way home it was more like this..

~Blaze~

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear ya'll got one last hunt in for 2015. Is that elephant head part of a pin, toy, what???

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still digging at this time of the year and there's still hope right up till the New Year here as well. Very cool Elephant head and nice Fishie as well. Getting more coppers is always fun as well. Keep digging your December finds plate is getting full, hope you'll dig an awesome silver for the Xmas bonus.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I like the elephant and the old coppers.
Glad yall could make it out one more time.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Still digging at this time of the year and there's still hope right up till the New Year here as well. Very cool Elephant head and nice Fishie as well. Getting more coppers is always fun as well. Keep digging your December finds plate is getting full, hope you'll dig an awesome silver for the Xmas bonus.

If I get another chance I'll be happy with whatever I end up with
I got some really nice finds this year and if it's a done deal, still no regrets; we put ourselves on some awesome sites that could have given up some other great finds but I got what I got.....I knew I should have zigged when I zagged lol

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice variety of finds.

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
It's great you guys got in another hunt...that elephant head is pretty cool...I like the coppers too....I'd love to find one of those 5 cent silvers...I've heard people call them fish scales...congrats

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
It's great you guys got in another hunt...that elephant head is pretty cool...I like the coppers too....I'd love to find one of those 5 cent silvers...I've heard people call them fish scales...congrats

Thank you
Yeah fish scales, I guess they're small, round, thin, and shiny like the nickname

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll have to hit the "Roxbury" again in the Spring... it's turning out to be not too bad a site.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds, I like the elephant, I found a silver kid's elephant ring one time, reminds me of yours.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys pounded that area unmercifully and have the goods to prove it. Congrats on a killer fall season and I'm looking forward to you guys getting back out after the deep freeze (if we even have one).

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
We'll have to hit the "Roxbury" again in the Spring... it's turning out to be not too bad a site.

The Roxbury, I think we have a name for that site, Rochdale or Rutherford would have been a good choice too!

I may try to convince Billy to turn that field and plant it, that would be nice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread