sscindercoop
Silver Member
- Joined
- Apr 14, 2009
- Messages
- 2,603
- Reaction score
- 806
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Central New York
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Upvote
0
Does anyone have any info on this piece ? Found it today in the same area as the other 2 artifacts. Thanks
Nope not stone, Some type of bone I thought fish gill when I first seen it.is it stone.. at first glance it looks like plating or some sort of scale.
I agree gill bone cover it is smooth as glass and does have a gloss to it. Im wondering how it was preserved and why. Thanks coopIt appears to be one of the opercular bones -perhaps an interopercular- part of the gill cover of fish. I am uncertain as to species of fish, but maybe in the Percidae Family.
The preservation seems extraordinary . . . Is it totally silicified -glass-like- or is that a trick of the camera? The completeness of the bone argues for a recent age, but the preservation is the question.
I agree gill bone and yes its got a glaze that looks like glass it also is smooth like glass
I agree gill bone cover it is smooth as glass and does have a gloss to it. Im wondering how it was preserved and why. Thanks coop
It might be useful to know where geographically your opercular bone was found and what were the circumstances in which it was preserved.