New and need coil advice for MXT

cs70

Dec 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks, new here, hunting in Pensacola Fl area. I bought an MXT back in 2008. Then some things happened and long story short, I didn't pull it out of the closet until recently.

I took it out the other day to a very trashy area wooded area, with my factory coil. More times than not, there was more than one target under the coil footprint. I also took it to a sandy beach and located many fishing lead weights, pull tabs, etc. I've been reading about mineralized soil, and I *think* we do have that. I know when I was a kid we had a lot of iron in our well water. And obviously, we have saltwater beaches. Our soil is very acidic. ( Front yard is ph 5.9 - 6.0 )

The beaches obviously have potential for coins and jewelry, but we have a lot of history here, so relics are a potential target at some point. I remember before I stopped using it, I did find a civil war lead bullet and an 1800's era dime.

I am definitely looking for a smaller coil for trashy areas, and I've been reading opinions about dd vs 5.3, and honestly just as confused as ever, though I'm thinking that either would probably be fine , or at least better than what I've got ( factory coil ). I've read that pinpointing is better on the 5.3, which for a newbie, would be helpful, but also have read for high mineral soil, the dd is better.

Any input would be helpful!

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 4 X 6 DD coil works well. Also the 8 X 6 SEF DD works well too. I have used both on my MXT and prefer the SEF. More coverage and it separates in the trash well with good depth.

Welcome Aboard!!

OP
OP
C

cs70

Dec 18, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 4 X 6 DD coil works well. Also the 8 X 6 SEF DD works well too. I have used both on my MXT and prefer the SEF. More coverage and it separates in the trash well with good depth.

Welcome Aboard!!

Thank you.

I actually was wondering about the detech coils, as far as performance. Seems they are quite a bit cheaper than the whites coils, and money is definitely a consideration right now. They have some smaller search coils that are almost half the cost of whites, like the 6" dd excelerator ( $87.47 right now )

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look in the classifieds here. There is usually someone selling good used coils. Thats what i do! I havent tried the excelerator coils. I have heard a mix of good and bad reviews on them.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you.

I actually was wondering about the detech coils, as far as performance. Seems they are quite a bit cheaper than the whites coils, and money is definitely a consideration right now. They have some smaller search coils that are almost half the cost of whites, like the 6" dd excelerator ( $87.47 right now )
I love the Detech coils. They are awesome usually go deeper and are more stabil than Whites.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread