Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings T-Net Nation. I spent three hours yesterday out in the woods experimenting with a new detecting technique. Rather than bee-bopping around off trail, I focused all of my energies slowly ( painfully so) scanning old carriage paths. These paths have been in use for 300+ years and the ground is highly contaminated with all manner of trashy signals. However, I found that by inching along these paths and paying very close attention to the tones/ VDI readings, I could pull out desirable targets. It's not the most exciting style of detecting, but I won't argue with the results.

11.18 hunt 1.jpg

11.18 hunt 2.jpg

The dimes are all pretty beat up, but that's ok in my book. Oddly enough they are dated 41,42,43, 44, and 45. There also was a fair amount of wheaties, a buffalo nickel, and assorted other stuff.

11.18 hunt 4.jpg
11.18 hunt 3.jpg

I can't believe I've been walking right over all of these finds for the past ten years. I guess a little patience goes a long way with the detecting gods.
Hope everyone has an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday!

Upvote 44

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SM, you are so absolutely spot on with this approach. The only reason I don't do it more is because I'm so cheap and have yet to buy a sniper or 8" coil for my Nox 800, or I would do it more. My greatest spill ever, as noted in my signature, came from doing this. Right in the middle of the old road. You have inspired me to get back to this method. Congrats on a productive hunt!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done! A complete WWII Mercury collection in one hunt….very cool. Like the Buffalo too. Congrats!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing unusual about the dates on your mercs. When WW2 started the mint kicked production into high gear. With virtually everyone working for the war effort a lot more coinage was needed. Get a coin Red Book and look at production numbers. The US stamps out coins like crazy at start or during wars. Holds true for civil war, WW1 and 2.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings T-Net Nation. I spent three hours yesterday out in the woods experimenting with a new detecting technique. Rather than bee-bopping around off trail, I focused all of my energies slowly ( painfully so) scanning old carriage paths. These paths have been in use for 300+ years and the ground is highly contaminated with all manner of trashy signals. However, I found that by inching along these paths and paying very close attention to the tones/ VDI readings, I could pull out desirable targets. It's not the most exciting style of detecting, but I won't argue with the results.

View attachment 2115880

View attachment 2115881

The dimes are all pretty beat up, but that's ok in my book. Oddly enough they are dated 41,42,43, 44, and 45. There also was a fair amount of wheaties, a buffalo nickel, and assorted other stuff.

View attachment 2115882 View attachment 2115883
I can't believe I've been walking right over all of these finds for the past ten years. I guess a little patience goes a long way with the detecting gods.
Low and slow is my motto.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That was a really productive hunt showing the results, well done!.

So often so many have the tendency to cover as much ground in the least amount of time.
Then as you have done slow down and concentrate on a small footprint for a longer period of time.

I have seen many running around like flapping chickens around a site-putting only larger targets in the pouch, as they tend to miss the majority of finds.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well done neighbor!! Keep up the great work!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic finds thanks for posting

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the new technique. Slooooowwwww is the way to go. The coins are great, but those are some fine relics too. Looks like a piece of art with the grouping and great photos. Thanks for the post.
-MM-

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2115880

View attachment 2115881

View attachment 2115882 View attachment 2115883
Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread