Sunday Funday xx

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Ahh it was cold wet and windy out there today, back to the same fields as yesterday, I headed off across to a far flung corner of the field today and left himself in his favourite corner! 😆 xx

I found this gorgeous little dress fastener, then this weird thing, it’s 5cm long and super heavy 🤔, then a little broken buckle, pot leg and 2 bits of plate, lead seal, musket ball and corset bit, 2 tack pins and possible brooch bit (?) a leg…. (Found by himself) maybe a cannon and latch, strap end and odd little bits, decorative piece, another strange little piece (?) buttons, 4 pre dec, a holed token (?) not sure what this battered disk is, then my lovely Roman which I believe is Constantine 2nd, Roman soldier spearing a fallen horseman AD 348 ~ 358 😎….. himself found the next one, and he also found this battered hammered No ids for these 2 yet! xx

Despite the cold and damp day, we still had a fab day xx
IMG_9975.jpeg
IMG_9976.jpeg
IMG_9977.jpeg
IMG_9978.jpeg
IMG_9979.jpeg
IMG_9980.jpeg
IMG_9981.jpeg
IMG_9983.jpeg
IMG_9984.jpeg
IMG_9985.jpeg
IMG_9986.jpeg
IMG_9987.jpeg
IMG_9993.jpeg
IMG_9989.jpeg
IMG_9990.jpeg
IMG_9995.jpeg
IMG_9994.jpeg
IMG_9996.jpeg
IMG_9997.jpeg
IMG_9998.jpeg
IMG_9999.jpeg
IMG_9974.jpeg
IMG_9970.jpeg
IMG_9969.jpeg

Upvote 29

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a lovely grouping of recoveries.
Congrats on the great looking crisp Romans.
Yes that's a cannon but I don't know if that's part of the carriage that it sat on, hope somebody will know.

#10 looks very similar to this description. (There will be other opinions on what it is )

Screen Shot 2023-11-19 at 5.48.32 PM.png

I would love to know what that two pronged fork is actually-it's really cool (just needs a handle and you could have a prodding device)

Great looking clothing fastener you got today.
That is a weird looking character with the spiked hair.

So well done on the silver, bronzes, and the great relics.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya whoa and wow!

What a haul.
Pretty sure you have a whoyawhazzit in there. And a Joe Willie hook up thingiedo.
Buttons and coins. (I think..)

The sheet metal looking item reminds of all things an out of context paintbrush bristles meet handle holder/cover.
So let me reverse it in my imagination and use it for a roman helmet topper /horsehair plume. Or boar bristle like a paint brush.
That is if Romans wore helmets. With toppers.

A hand fan made from large feathers could be held in a similar fashion too. Or...

Fantastic looking recoveries!
Ancient means no longer in existence. (?) Making your recoveries , relics of ancients and not ancient relics. Sure seems the relics are ancient as well though to me. Well , maybe they are over here! But you more than gotta kinda be on the X over there too.

Thanks for sharing.
If an ancient looking cloaked figure turned up in one of your site pics , it would fit in just fine.
A boney hand reaches out and a voice states it dropped silver a few hundred years ago on the very spot. I'd be coughing up silver I never found ; before trying to catch up with my vapor trail of the rest of me rocketing out of there...
l.o.l..
(A good daytime hunting site in my mind. )

OP
OP
blossom

blossom

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2022
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Yes that's a cannon but I don't know if that's part of the carriage that it sat on, hope somebody will know.

#10 looks very similar to this description. (There will be other opinions on what it is )

View attachment 2116023

I would love to know what that two pronged fork is actually-it's really cool (just needs a handle and you could have a prodding device)

Ooh that would be epic if it was one of those! Thanks Peps! 😆 xx The pronged item is super heavy for its size…. I so want it to be something special! xx

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh it was cold wet and windy out there today, back to the same fields as yesterday, I headed off across to a far flung corner of the field today and left himself in his favourite corner! 😆 xx

I found this gorgeous little dress fastener, then this weird thing, it’s 5cm long and super heavy 🤔, then a little broken buckle, pot leg and 2 bits of plate, lead seal, musket ball and corset bit, 2 tack pins and possible brooch bit (?) a leg…. (Found by himself) maybe a cannon and latch, strap end and odd little bits, decorative piece, another strange little piece (?) buttons, 4 pre dec, a holed token (?) not sure what this battered disk is, then my lovely Roman which I believe is Constantine 2nd, Roman soldier spearing a fallen horseman AD 348 ~ 358 😎….. himself found the next one, and he also found this battered hammered No ids for these 2 yet! xx

Despite the cold and damp day, we still had a fab day xx
View attachment 2115909 View attachment 2115910 View attachment 2115911 View attachment 2115912 View attachment 2115913 View attachment 2115914 View attachment 2115915 View attachment 2115916 View attachment 2115917 View attachment 2115918 View attachment 2115919 View attachment 2115920 View attachment 2115921 View attachment 2115922 View attachment 2115923 View attachment 2115924 View attachment 2115925 View attachment 2115926 View attachment 2115927 View attachment 2115928 View attachment 2115929 View attachment 2115930 View attachment 2115931 View attachment 2115932
Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2116023

Haven't got time right now to pull up my image of these on a 19th C magic box, these are 19th C & went on many types of boxes, they were mis-IDed in a book by Michael Mitchiner & for many years I believed & quoted it until I saw them instistu. They sell well on ebay...lol

The hammered is another Soldino.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven't got time right now to pull up my image of these on a 19th C magic box, these are 19th C & went on many types of boxes, they were mis-IDed in a book by Michael Mitchiner & for many years I believed & quoted it until I saw them instistu. They sell well on ebay...lol

The hammered is another Soldino.
Have you written to PAS and set them right on this error?

Looking on the site there are 6 examples of these alone.
One would believe that they have the knowledge base to know if they were or weren't.
I have always thought that the information on PAS was very credible or is it just bollocks?

So I will have to go with the PAS reference till you pull up your 19th C magic box reference.

Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 5.18.35 PM.png

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you written to PAS and set them right on this error?

Looking on the site there are 6 examples of these alone.
One would believe that they have the knowledge base to know if they were or weren't.
I have always thought that the information on PAS was very credible or is it just bollocks?

So I will have to go with the PAS reference till you pull up your 19th C magic box reference.

View attachment 2116438
There are plenty of mistakes on the PAS, especially when they start referencing their own mistakes. Although on this I note the first one quotes the book that got it wrong - Mitchiner (1986: no.s 939-942)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are plenty of mistakes on the PAS, especially when they start referencing their own mistakes. Although on this I note the first one quotes the book that got it wrong - Mitchiner (1986: no.s 939-942)
From the years of posting/research/recording have you made an effort in getting any of these mistakes rectified?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the years of posting/research/recording have you made an effort in getting any of these mistakes rectified?
I try in the past & they just ignore you, maybe resources issues.
Found the photo I took. not the best as it was on TV:
Knights of the Holy Sep. ID.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I try in the past & they just ignore you, maybe resources issues.
Found the photo I took. not the best as it was on TV: View attachment 2117257
Thanks getting the photo of the item
Seeing a picture of it (image) there's still questions that I wonder about.
I don't know what the program's content was (subject).
For all I know it could be a travelling antique show. :dontknow:

Was the item an artisan item where they took items from anything and put them on something else. :dontknow:
If a popular item (hardware) there'd be still items floating around in antiques sales today, one would think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions