Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings T-Net Nation. I spent three hours yesterday out in the woods experimenting with a new detecting technique. Rather than bee-bopping around off trail, I focused all of my energies slowly ( painfully so) scanning old carriage paths. These paths have been in use for 300+ years and the ground is highly contaminated with all manner of trashy signals. However, I found that by inching along these paths and paying very close attention to the tones/ VDI readings, I could pull out desirable targets. It's not the most exciting style of detecting, but I won't argue with the results.

11.18 hunt 1.jpg

11.18 hunt 2.jpg

The dimes are all pretty beat up, but that's ok in my book. Oddly enough they are dated 41,42,43, 44, and 45. There also was a fair amount of wheaties, a buffalo nickel, and assorted other stuff.

11.18 hunt 4.jpg
11.18 hunt 3.jpg

I can't believe I've been walking right over all of these finds for the past ten years. I guess a little patience goes a long way with the detecting gods.
Hope everyone has an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday!

Upvote 44
SM, you are so absolutely spot on with this approach. The only reason I don't do it more is because I'm so cheap and have yet to buy a sniper or 8" coil for my Nox 800, or I would do it more. My greatest spill ever, as noted in my signature, came from doing this. Right in the middle of the old road. You have inspired me to get back to this method. Congrats on a productive hunt!

Nicely done! A complete WWII Mercury collection in one hunt….very cool. Like the Buffalo too. Congrats!

Nothing unusual about the dates on your mercs. When WW2 started the mint kicked production into high gear. With virtually everyone working for the war effort a lot more coinage was needed. Get a coin Red Book and look at production numbers. The US stamps out coins like crazy at start or during wars. Holds true for civil war, WW1 and 2.

Greetings T-Net Nation. I spent three hours yesterday out in the woods experimenting with a new detecting technique. Rather than bee-bopping around off trail, I focused all of my energies slowly ( painfully so) scanning old carriage paths. These paths have been in use for 300+ years and the ground is highly contaminated with all manner of trashy signals. However, I found that by inching along these paths and paying very close attention to the tones/ VDI readings, I could pull out desirable targets. It's not the most exciting style of detecting, but I won't argue with the results.

View attachment 2115880

View attachment 2115881

The dimes are all pretty beat up, but that's ok in my book. Oddly enough they are dated 41,42,43, 44, and 45. There also was a fair amount of wheaties, a buffalo nickel, and assorted other stuff.

View attachment 2115882View attachment 2115883
I can't believe I've been walking right over all of these finds for the past ten years. I guess a little patience goes a long way with the detecting gods.
Low and slow is my motto.

That was a really productive hunt showing the results, well done!.

So often so many have the tendency to cover as much ground in the least amount of time.
Then as you have done slow down and concentrate on a small footprint for a longer period of time.

I have seen many running around like flapping chickens around a site-putting only larger targets in the pouch, as they tend to miss the majority of finds.

Very well done neighbor!! Keep up the great work!

Fantastic finds thanks for posting

Great job on the new technique. Slooooowwwww is the way to go. The coins are great, but those are some fine relics too. Looks like a piece of art with the grouping and great photos. Thanks for the post.
-MM-

View attachment 2115880

View attachment 2115881

View attachment 2115882View attachment 2115883
Awesome Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back