EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By this Winter research time, I found a home site, that still is occupied, but the original house is gone, with another one built on the site in the 1800's.
It has a pretty small yard that I can access, but in the tiny break in the rain yesterday, I gave it a quick once over. It paid off!
I didn't find a ton of Colonial, a little bit of everything really - which is cool.

Finds 2-2.jpg Finds 2-2 b.jpg

A couple of nice Colonial buttons and buckle maybe 1800's..
But there was a nice little surprise -

Tnet KG III VIRGINIA HP OBVERSE.jpg KG III VIRGINIA HP REVERSE.jpg

When I first dug it, I thought is was a new state quarter. I began to remove the dirt and saw a small divot in the center and thought it was a decorated flat button. Then, I turned it over and saw the same mark, realized there was dirt in a hole. When I removed it, I saw the Crown and Crest and I was sure I had Spanish silver!! Then I turned it over again and could swear it looked like a KG on the obv. I was stumped until I got it home and got it cleaned.
Talk about down and up, up and down... Wow!
When I finally could clean it, I thought, since it's the size of a U.S. quarter, that I had a farthing.
Imagine my surprise when I could see the back had the NIA on the other side it usually is and I could barely make out VIRGI opposite it.
In the pics, I had to light the coin from several directions to get the details to show.
OMGosh, I am happy as I could be, hole and all that it's a 1773 KG III VIRGINIA Half Penny!

Can't wait to go back.

Upvote 19
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Common for the day, a hole in the center of a coin indicates that it was used as a washer. Better than wasting a day's time to go into town and get washers

Are you kidding or serious?
I could see it, but the two I have have no compression marks or scratches on the face of the coins, from the nut or nail or whatever they used.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Nice little surprise" Yea I would say so!! Big Congrats Chris. Added character with the hole! Hole or no hole it's nicer than the one I HAVEN'T found........lol Congrats Buddy!!

Thanks man! I agree.. they had a good reason for putting that hole in there.. this one is nice and neat too, no nail in this one! lol
And I know what you're saying, it's my first, so it looks sweet to me! Yours is coming!

May we ALL find things we haven't ever found before, may our wish lists be filled, may we be surprised by what we find in '15 !
For many of us, as soon as the snow melts, the ground thaws, etc. etc. This was the first day I could go in a week!
Appreciate your post. HH!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man you find some cool stuff dude, That's a neat coin

Thanks for the encouragement F75PAH! I think it's neat too. This is only my second year after a 30 year break, and I KNOW not to take my finds for granted. I realized this when I was watching "Diggers" on TV. (Yes, I watch Diggers) One of the guys found a coin and he got very excited because it was his first. And I already had three. I thought, "Man, these guys have been looking for how long?" Then I knew just how blessed I was, here, I stumble along and pop what may be a find of a lifetime for many folks. I see the same thing here. Guys seem to pop up with the most amazing stuff. I think I'll never find something that good.

But, I went ten months before I ever found a Indian Head cent, the same for a Buffalo nickle, I STILL have a time finding silver.. (oh, for a seated, a Barber) All I mean to say is, Keep swinging that coil.
There are great things in the ground for all of us to discover. History underneath our feet that will be lost without us.
Can't wait to see your soon coming finds post! HH!

Last edited:
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the finds!

Thanks Prof! Just for taking the time to say so is encouraging.

I would be freakin out if I pulled that!! Must be more!! Good luck!

I WAS! First, I thought, "Oh, Crap, a new quarter" , Then when I thought it was a button, I thought, "Well, that's pretty neat." Then a spanish coin, I started shaking.. SHAKING!
When I didn't know what it was, I was puzzled.. I knew it was neat. I wanted to run right home and find out, but I knew, with this weather, this might be my only chance for a week, but I don't remember what I dug after it. lol
Thanks for the post and encouragement for more! I hope the same for you.. HH

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're definitely moving in the right direction Chris. Hopefully you can pop out a colonial silver next time.

Thanks. You know Bill, after your kind sharing of advice and all, YOU were the first person I thought of when I thought it was silver! Haha!
It's funny, but I am not kidding.
It is there, in the ground, waiting for me.. This was close, next time!
Ah, yes. Next time.
That being said - I like what it IS. I didn't have one. Didn't even know there was one.. love those firsts. And I love the research before - and after. (Where is it? then- What is it?)
Congrats again on your awesome finds, can't wait to see what else you guys find there. The coins are still there somewhere..

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Youre in my backyard. Maybe even my neighbor. LOL

No matter where you live on the Eastern Shore of Md your next cob or cut Spanish is probably right around the corner -literally.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Youre in my backyard. Maybe even my neighbor. LOL

No matter where you live on the Eastern Shore of Md your next cob or cut Spanish is probably right around the corner -literally.

Oh yeah, I'm all for that. Have you found colonial silver yet. ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice copper! Congrats on the find day of hunting. The next time you go back just take a minute and sniff-sniff for the silver you're going to walk over it soon, good luck.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice copper! Congrats on the find day of hunting. The next time you go back just take a minute and sniff-sniff for the silver you're going to walk over it soon, good luck.

Thanks pepperj, I'm sniffin for silver alright.. But on the shore we all have sinus problems !
I know it's coming.. patience.. patience.. lol. HH

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, quite a bit of it now. Several from the mid 17th century too. We once got 19 Spanish silvers out of one group of fields back in the 90s when I hunted everyday. There's a lot of it on the eastern shore.

Just how close are you anyway ?
I knew someone had been here getting all the silver's !

edlynne

Nov 9, 2013
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP, Ace 250, XP deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I also found a button with a hole punched in it. I wasnt sure the reason. I believe the button to be from London early 1800"s. Someone suggested it was used as a whizzer?
hEwvY4C.jpg

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see the cold did not slow you down, Nice digs..:thumbsup:

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, I also found a button with a hole punched in it. I wasnt sure the reason. I believe the button to be from London early 1800"s. Someone suggested it was used as a whizzer?

That's interesting.. haven't found a button with the hole.. but, what's a "whizzer?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread