EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By this Winter research time, I found a home site, that still is occupied, but the original house is gone, with another one built on the site in the 1800's.
It has a pretty small yard that I can access, but in the tiny break in the rain yesterday, I gave it a quick once over. It paid off!
I didn't find a ton of Colonial, a little bit of everything really - which is cool.

Finds 2-2.jpg Finds 2-2 b.jpg

A couple of nice Colonial buttons and buckle maybe 1800's..
But there was a nice little surprise -

Tnet KG III VIRGINIA HP OBVERSE.jpg KG III VIRGINIA HP REVERSE.jpg

When I first dug it, I thought is was a new state quarter. I began to remove the dirt and saw a small divot in the center and thought it was a decorated flat button. Then, I turned it over and saw the same mark, realized there was dirt in a hole. When I removed it, I saw the Crown and Crest and I was sure I had Spanish silver!! Then I turned it over again and could swear it looked like a KG on the obv. I was stumped until I got it home and got it cleaned.
Talk about down and up, up and down... Wow!
When I finally could clean it, I thought, since it's the size of a U.S. quarter, that I had a farthing.
Imagine my surprise when I could see the back had the NIA on the other side it usually is and I could barely make out VIRGI opposite it.
In the pics, I had to light the coin from several directions to get the details to show.
OMGosh, I am happy as I could be, hole and all that it's a 1773 KG III VIRGINIA Half Penny!

Can't wait to go back.

Upvote 19

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the VA Halfpenny! Good luck on your return. The original house site may be a short distance away from the current house.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a killer find bro. A hole Va is something anybody would be psyched to find. And it's got better detail than 88% of the ones I've seen :-). Happy for ya man. Great research

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful save!

Kinda makes one wonder why they ever punched a hole in the coins. Didn't seem to keep them from being lost, now did they. ;)

WTG!

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully more access will open up for you. That's a ice hunt I know I'd be excited with the Va half penny. Can't wait to see what else you find. Good luck.

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Awesome coin to find and in good shape. Keep it up, looks like your going to have another good year. HH!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Your pics are sweet, and your finds ever sweeter. Congrats on some really nice finds! GL&HH.

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common for the day, a hole in the center of a coin indicates that it was used as a washer. Better than wasting a day's time to go into town and get washers

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Nice little surprise" Yea I would say so!! Big Congrats Chris. Added character with the hole! Hole or no hole it's nicer than the one I HAVEN'T found........lol Congrats Buddy!!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the VA Halfpenny! Good luck on your return. The original house site may be a short distance away from the current house.

Thanks Steve;
The firsts are always special. I still didn't know what I had until I looked it up! lol
The present house is over the old house site, but the footprints are different. The early homesite included two other yards, both small. I have permission for the one next to this one, but not the one behind it, (yet) ;)
The down side for now, is that both yards I can do, have above ground pools in them, and added the dirt from installation to the yards. Imagine what's under the pools!

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you find some cool stuff dude, That's a neat coin

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a killer find bro. A hole Va is something anybody would be psyched to find. And it's got better detail than 88% of the ones I've seen :-). Happy for ya man. Great research

Thanks Abe. That's my first, so I am psyched! The first colonial coin I found had a big old square nail hole in the center too! So this little teeny hole suits me just fine. So far, I think the ground around here is pretty kind to coins, so I am really blessed.
Research does pay off, because I wouldn't have known about an older home there first.
HH!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the finds!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful save!
Kinda makes one wonder why they ever punched a hole in the coins. Didn't seem to keep them from being lost, now did they. ;)
WTG!

Hahaha! Really! I've wondered - go figure.. good for us though, eh? Thanks for the kind words. HH to you as well.

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hopefully more access will open up for you. That's a ice hunt I know I'd be excited with the Va half penny. Can't wait to see what else you find. Good luck.

Congrats! Awesome coin to find and in good shape. Keep it up, looks like your going to have another good year. HH!

Thanks so much guys. Hopefully I can get the house behind this one. I already have access to next door. I'm happy when you hit a site and find enough stuff like this to let you know it hasn't been picked clean already!

Collector, you know you're only 20 min. from me? PM me sometime if you want to do a hunt somewhere..

Happy Hunting and LL guys!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You're definitely moving in the right direction Chris. Hopefully you can pop out a colonial silver next time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions