What's new

new dirt images

larson1951

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
4,974
Reaction score
3,894
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
virtual hunt IMG_3415.webpIMG_3416.webpIMG_3417.webpIMG_3418.webpIMG_3421.webpIMG_3422.webpIMG_3423.webpIMG_3428.webpIMG_3429.webpIMG_3430.webpIMG_3431.webp
 
Upvote 0
#4 buffalo teeth
#6 below and to the left of the pottery is a broke flaking tool or quill flattener which i left lay
#7 two broke and mostly buried scapula shovels
#8 broke buffalo scapula shovel
 
Nice Larson..almost like being there. It looks like another big snow storm headed your way.
 
Nice Larson..almost like being there. It looks like another big snow storm headed your way.

well billy boy......that's why i am heading over there right now, before the storm gets here it is 1:00 pm central time, by 2:00 i will be cold....but maybe find something worth posting....please wish me luck

stevie boy
 
Good luck good luck good luck good luck good luck good luck good luck good luck good luck good luck lood guck
 
Hope you find a killer Steve. The way that ground looks I'd say your chances are pretty good. It looks like there is lots of stuff exposed.
 
Larson when you walk the field. How do you keep track of what you have walked and what you havent? I am having trouble keeping track when I walk the fields. I was thinking on bringing little markers next time I go. What do you use?
 
I know that was not directed to me.. but I personally think once you have located a high concentration area..you should walk the same area several times especially if it has rained between or you had your eyes peeled for material of different size or color.
 
Thanks but every where I go there is lithic. I do know the hot spots. But I am talking about walking the main sections as in the whole field and the rows. I have a habit of walking 5 rows at the same time and me being in the middle row cause the field is so large. The rows shift from time to time. And if I see something I tend to lose track as to which row I was in before I saw it.
 
Sorry.. triangulate if nothing else.
 
Larson when you walk the field. How do you keep track of what you have walked and what you havent? I am having trouble keeping track when I walk the fields. I was thinking on bringing little markers next time I go. What do you use?

Thanks but every where I go there is lithic. I do know the hot spots. But I am talking about walking the main sections as in the whole field and the rows. I have a habit of walking 5 rows at the same time and me being in the middle row cause the field is so large. The rows shift from time to time. And if I see something I tend to lose track as to which row I was in before I saw it.

i don't keep track to much on this 30+ acre site
the owner john usually walks the rows made by the duckfoot after a rain, then the tops and sides is where to look mostly as the rain will wash new pieces and expose them, but not so much in between the ridges as that is where things can get covered up pretty easy
i, russy ,and T Witko just pick anyplace and stop and thoroughly look every inch of dirt over, then take a couple steps and repeat, i usually pick spots without foot prints but we find plenty of stuff no matter where
my friend bruce walked behind me and picked up a bone birds head from my foot print.........i found a celt in between johns footprints
but i think the odds are better to choose where there are no foot prints.....at least until it really rains hard, then any place can be worth checking again
also a small hump could be a midden (trash heap) where all kinds of stuff is continualy being exposed
if the area you have has any slope to it there is a good chance that after a real hard thunderstom cloudburst type rain that small gullys will be frshly formed, we like to walk those right after they were formed,
they can be any where from 4 to 6 inches wide or an awful lot bigger than that and they are always worth checking in my opinion
make sense?
hope this helps rock
 
Last edited:
Hunting sites like that, the system is...... you just go from artifact to artifact and forget the nice straight rows! :-)

Isn't that what you are trying to say Larson??? LOL!!!!!
 
Use the force
 
Hunting sites like that, the system is...... you just go from artifact to artifact and forget the nice straight rows! :-)

Isn't that what you are trying to say Larson??? LOL!!!!!


yup....that's what i'm talking about!
 
Nice pics looks like a nice rise in that last pic.
 
Yeah it made sense Larson. I am thinking about some places rite now. I will check those little hill spots. And I am the only person hunting that property.
 
We got rain early this morning so next time I will check. I was really looking forward to it but didnt happen.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom