What's new

New finds!

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
I'm still walking last years plows and a little bit of water. We are still under coastal flood watch so there's not much to look at. I had a day off yesterday so I headed out in the rain. Ended up with a few goodies but nothing special. Did find another broken ax. The bit end and the 6 th for this field. Better start finding the butt ends when they plow again. This one was broke right in the groove. The grey and white point was found while working on a customers yard.
 

Attachments

  • image-3443347965.webp
    image-3443347965.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 143
  • image-540423254.webp
    image-540423254.webp
    104.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3439805384.webp
    image-3439805384.webp
    42 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3430936107.webp
    image-3430936107.webp
    55.3 KB · Views: 149
  • image-3556268646.webp
    image-3556268646.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 147
  • image-1538161401.webp
    image-1538161401.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image-4039366782.webp
    image-4039366782.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image-379214818.webp
    image-379214818.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 127
  • image-2357302943.webp
    image-2357302943.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 113
  • image-500271637.webp
    image-500271637.webp
    36.1 KB · Views: 131
  • image-3892604558.webp
    image-3892604558.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 118
  • image-594380933.webp
    image-594380933.webp
    25.1 KB · Views: 122
  • image-1307469636.webp
    image-1307469636.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image-91559464.webp
    image-91559464.webp
    114.5 KB · Views: 127
  • image-3610606040.webp
    image-3610606040.webp
    16.7 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
Great day you had Ben. To bad about that axe. Damn plows showed that no mercy.............
 
Just confuses me how it's been 6 bits with no butts. This year ill be looking for grooves instead of sharp edges. Haha. Check out that piece of cortex I found with just a small section of edge. Fits in the hand like a box cutter or scalpel. Pretty neat.
 
Nice finds all in all. I know the feeling of finding busted axe heads. Bitter sweet. I can't say I have found one busted along the groove as yours is. It looks like it may have been a raised ridge. I wander if broken bits that could not be resharpened were broken deliberately away from the poll.?? The poll end of an axe would make a great hammer or maul. Just a thought. Six broken axe heads, you have to find one. After finding my first grooved axe, I went months with few points being found. If you aren't careful, you will catch yourself being drawn to larger pieces. Good luck!!
 
I ticked quite a few old timers off when I picked up my first ax 3 months into hunting. Sitting on a river bank and perfect. I have a few whole ones and lots of brokes. I tend to scan my areas twice especially in tidal and creeks where this alot to look through. I'm allways behind everyone but I think they move too quick anyway. Scan once for points and once for stone.
 
That very first white, looks like good quality quartz point. What type do you think that is? I have one almost identical.
IMGP0014.webp
 
It very good milky quartz. It's easier to work with. Mine is a stemmed point with the base broke off. Yours looks to be a type of triangle they have different names in different areas. Flat based like that here would be called a susquehannock tri.
 
Cool finds! Re: too bad about the axe. I see that the vegatation is already growing.
 
It's been growing. They should plow in the next two weeks. Hopefully.
 
Thanks all! I've got permission for a farms fields which are spread out all I've south eastern pa. Can't wait till he plows them up for me!
 
Yes, the one I posted is a triangle variant of some kind with the tip missing. Southeastern U.S.
 
If it had a concave base most would call it a levanna. More then likely it's a Madison. Search your states point types and a guide will come up.
 
@ bist, so when they plow do they plant at the same time? Where I have been hunting he is going to plow soon for the next crop and I dont know how it works. Can you walk on it after it is planted? I dont want to look like a idiot by asking him lol.
 
@ bist, so when they plow do they plant at the same time? Where I have been hunting he is going to plow soon for the next crop and I dont know how it works. Can you walk on it after it is planted? I dont want to look like a idiot by asking him lol.

Rock,
I think it could depend on a few things - climate, what your growing, etc. I'd say your in the south if he's doing continuous planting like that. He might not let the soil "rest" between crops, fertilize, etc...
As for me, I'm in the mountains with a short growing season and lucky to get and early crop and late crop in. I plow first "turning over the soil" and don't plant right away. I fertilize with some good ol' animal poo and then much to my dislike (hard on the artifact) my hubby takes the discs to it....poor, poor me can't watch this part. But he is good to me and waits til it's suppose to rain to plow and gives me time to hunt before tearing up the soil with the discs. We do this about this time of year, let the poop compost some and don't plant most crops until there's no chance of frost - which is usually in may.

But again, this fellow may plow and plant together or closer together. You can walk in it as long as your staying off the planted area - and you'll be able to see the row. I think if you play it as polite - letting him know you don't want to disturb his crops, asking when he will be planting - but would also like the opportunity to hunt after planting too. Just ask if its ok to hunt as long as your staying off the planted row and walking between them. If you're in the south they'll sprout fast and then be very careful not to step on anything - if he's serious about his garden he will never let you back...lol
 
@ bist, so when they plow do they plant at the same time? Where I have been hunting he is going to plow soon for the next crop and I dont know how it works. Can you walk on it after it is planted? I dont want to look like a idiot by asking him lol.


what is he planting?
if it is moden grain or corn or sunflower the planting and fertilizer is done all at once with a no till operation
where a plow is not used but it still turns the top two inches of soil over
 
nice finds congrats HH
 
Rock, brandy wine laid it all out just like they do here. If they are just disturbing the surface dirt it will be pretty hard find alot. Good luck. And thanks wildman!
 
what is he planting?
if it is moden grain or corn or sunflower the planting and fertilizer is done all at once with a no till operation
where a plow is not used but it still turns the top two inches of soil over

Corn and Cotton. So probably no till again. I was hoping maybe one deep till but I dont know now. There is still cotton all over from the last crop. The weeds are coming up fast and its like walking through a grass field. Hard to see anything rite now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom