What's new

New guy!! Scraper?

crj1968

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2014
Messages
816
Reaction score
696
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all-
I found this in Granby Colorado when I was a kid....never thought much about it. (I was always mad I could never find a whole arrowhead!)

Anyways, I've always held onto it.... scraper of sorts?

There is this smooth groove in it where my thumb fits perfectly. Not sure if it is broken on one end, however, seems like if it was longer on that end it would dig into my palm and be uncomfortable to hold....and that end looks like it is intentionally tapered off.

Hopefully I got the pics uploaded correctly. Much appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Chris

P1000881.webpP1000880.webpP1000877.webpP1000876.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yes. It is a unifaced tool with secondary edge work to serve a purpose. What that purpose was is anyones guess. You were right in keeping it.
Welcome to T-Net. Nice post!
 
Thank you! I found it when I was maybe 10 years old. (I'm 45 now)

I always thought it was interesting.
 
...yes, welcome "newbe" :) Know what you mean about it "feeling" like it fits in your hand, I've found pieces like that also. So it probably is "something" that was used at some time, as Tn said! And the material it's made of is pretty to!
 
Last edited:
Thanks Kat...yeah most everything we found in Colorado as kids was either this color of chirt or reddish stuff. My dad was the kind of guy that would stop to take a leak while walking a trail and uncover an arrowhead.... true story.

Bums me out thinking how much stuff we found back then that we just sort of tossed aside as "not an arrowhead."

This site amazes me, that people can go out and find something nearly every time they hunt. ??
 
That's a good scraper:thumbsup:Just keep looking and you will find some. Welcome to Tnet:hello:HH
 
hey hey welcome to the tnet
you have a neat little cutting/scraping tool possibly made of jasper
 
Nice one! Granby huh? That's where we stay when we go colo Elk hunting. Nice country, and nice town.
 
welcome to tnet. nice tool!!
 
Nice one! Granby huh? That's where we stay when we go colo Elk hunting. Nice country, and nice town.

Thanks all- appreciate the feedback. Yeah my granddad had a cabin at lake Granby when I was a kid. I have a couple other pieces I will post from there.
 
Welcome aboard and nice artifact
 
Welcome to the net !!!! Nice little scraper
 
This tool has the flutes on the back which indicates this flake was removed from a core. I think it was not used as a scraper. Scraping results in step or hinge fractures. This flake doesn't appear to have those hinge fractures.

It was used as a knife. I think it would be best categorized as a flake blade or simply a "blade." Blade sides don't have to be perfectly parallel.

blades_trio.webp blades_trioB.webp
​
 
Funny you say that..as I was holding it last night I noticed that the divot in the backside is a perfect spot for my forefinger to rest/grip.
At first I thought it was sort of an imperfection, but now I can see how you could really choke up on it and it will not move much.

Not sure what you mean by "flake removed from a core" (I'm new) :)

I have another that I think is a "blade" I will post it as well.
 
Keep looking and you will find your first Arrowhead. Nothing like it! I have boxes of stuff that I am not sure of. Wish I could post it all. You never learn it all. I have been hunting for over 60 years.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom