vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard Savie! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to the forum and to the addiction.
You'll never be the same. :)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Have you read The General History of the Pyrates by Captain Charles Johnson? There are several more excellent pirate books in inexpensive Dover paperback reprints.

I'm partial to this title. It took me quite a while to convince Dover to reprint it. Not only has it been a steady seller for them, but they went on to bring back into print several other good titles.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you read The General History of the Pyrates by Captain Charles Johnson? There are several more excellent pirate books in inexpensive Dover paperback reprints.

I'm partial to this title. It took me quite a while to convince Dover to reprint it. Not only has it been a steady seller for them, but they went on to bring back into print several other good titles.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Does anybody know if there is a difference between this book and the one with the same name but author Daniel Dafoe that are listed on Amazon?
Jack

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For those interested, here is the Project Gutenberg scan of a first edition - probably the closest I will ever get to one of those
A GENERAL HISTORY
OF THE
PYRATES,

FROM
Their first RISE and SETTLEMENT in the Island of
Providence, to the present Time.
With the remarkable Actions and Adventures of the two Female Pyrates
Mary Read and Anne Bonny;

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40580/40580-h/40580-h.htm

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
For those interested, here is the Project Gutenberg scan of a first edition - probably the closest I will ever get to one of those
A GENERAL HISTORY
OF THE
PYRATES,

FROM
Their first RISE and SETTLEMENT in the Island of
Providence, to the present Time.
With the remarkable Actions and Adventures of the two Female Pyrates
Mary Read and Anne Bonny;

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/40580/40580-h/40580-h.htm

Thank for the link Ropesfish - very cool

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
enrada:

"Captain Charles Johnson" is the name of the author on the title page. Many experts - including the esteemed Prof. Manuel Schonhorn (a gentleman and a scholar), who edited the edition Dover reprinted - believe it is the work of Daniel Defoe. Robert Nesmith (Dig for Pirate Treasure - 1958) agreed. I understand the theory was first published by John Robert Moore - Defoe in the Pillory (1939).

While others dispute the attribution, I'll happily defer to these authorities.

When you first tackle it, the language can be a little rough to follow. Don't give up! Full speed ahead through the first squall. It rapidly becomes calmer water.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Found this on page #28 referencing the 1715 fleet:

The frequent Losses sustain’d by our Merchants abroad, by these Pyrates, was Provocation enough to attempt something by way of Reprisal; and a fair Opportunity offering it self in the Year 1716, the Traders of the West-Indies, took Care not to slip it over, but made the best Use of it their Circumstances would permit.

It was about two Years before, that the Spanish Galleons, or Plate Fleet, had been cast away in the Gulf or Florida; and several Vessels from the Havana, were at work, with diving Engines, to fish up the Silver that was on board the Galleons.

The Spaniards had recovered some Millions of Pieces of Eight, and had carried it all to the Havana; but they had at present about 350000 Pieces of Eight in Silver, then upon the Spot, and were 28 daily taking up more. In the mean time, two Ships, and three Sloops, fitted out from Jamaica, Barbadoes, &c. under Captain Henry Jennings, sail’d to the Gulf, and found the Spaniards there upon the Wreck; the Money before spoken of, was left on Shore, deposited in a Store-House, under the Government of two Commissaries, and a Guard of about 60 Soldiers.

The Rovers came directly upon the Place, bringing their little Fleet to an Anchor, and, in a Word, landing 300 Men, they attack’d the Guard, who immediately ran away; and thus they seized the Treasure, which they carried off, making the best of their Way to Jamaica.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
From Treasure Island, by Robert Lewis Stevenson:
"Come away, Hawkins," he would say; "come and have a yarn with John. Nobody more welcome than yourself, my son. Sit you down and hear the news. Here's Cap'n Flint--I calls my parrot Cap'n Flint, after the famous buccaneer--here's Cap'n Flint predicting success to our v'yage. Wasn't you, cap'n?"

And the parrot would say, with great rapidity, "Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!" till you wondered that it was not out of breath, or till John threw his handkerchief over the cage.

"Now, that bird," he would say, "is, maybe, two hundred years old, Hawkins--they live forever mostly; and if anybody's seen more wickedness, it must be the devil himself. She's sailed with England, the great Cap'n England, the pirate. She's been at Madagascar, and at Malabar, and Surinam, and Providence, and Portobello. She was at the fishing up of the wrecked plate ships. It's there she learned 'Pieces of eight,' and little wonder; three hundred and fifty thousand of 'em, Hawkins! She was at the boarding of the viceroy of the Indies out of Goa, she was; and to look at her you would think she was a babby. But you smelt powder-- didn't you, cap'n?"

"Stand by to go about," the parrot would scream.

"Ah, she's a handsome craft, she is," the cook would say, and give her sugar from his pocket, and then the bird would peck at the bars and swear straight on, passing belief for wickedness. "There," John would add, "you can't touch pitch and not be mucked, lad. Here's this poor old innocent bird o' mine swearing blue fire, and none the wiser, you may lay to that. She would swear the same, in a manner of speaking, before chaplain." And John would touch his forelock with a solemn way he had that made me think he was the best of men.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread