New Hunter from CT

Chuck5211

Jul 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I am sure there is other threads on this topic but I wanted to ask directly. I have been wanting to get involved with MD for a while and have some questions on getting started. I am a huge American History fan and love old revolutionary war/civil war relics and being in New England I think that will be what I am looking to hunt for. Also maybe some beach hunting. I have been looking into some equipment but with the above mentioned what is your advice for starting equipment? I guess I would be looking for middle of the road gear something that I can grow into and not feel the need to upgrade after a few months. Thanks for any info.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright: , you will hear lots of opinions---check out some older posts on the subject--Tom

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend the new Fisher F44.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the fun house ... :laughing7:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Connecticut for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Chuck5211,

Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! I use different machines for various types of hunting. For relic hunting, I use the Garrett AT Pro or Gold for their recovery and iron options, there other quality detectors that fit your price range and performance needed, you need to do some research since we all have our favorite detectors...etc.. You will need a quality pin pointer, digging tools and the knowledge of proper target extraction techniques.

Regards,

Doc

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Chuck! It's a little like Fords and Chevys, you will get a lot of opinions. For mid priced equipment, the Garrett AT Pro or Garrett AT Gold can do well in finding coins, relics and jewelry. They can ground balance out mineralized soil and both are fully waterproof. The new Makro Racer is an exceptional detector for depth and target separation in iron for a little more money. Go on YouTube and watch videos on all the units that you are interested in.

Feel free to give me a call if I can answer any questions or help you in your decision.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend buying used equipment. Metal detecting is not for everyone and there are literally thousands of little used machines on the market as many dreamers get bored of digging mostly junk, finding few items of financial or historical value and sell their gear to fund other hobbies. Craigslist and eBay are good places to look. I found a great used AT Pro for $300, and a used three time Excalibur for $700 on craigslist. My Safari was on eBay for under $800 used only a few times by a dealer and had full warranty. There are many used machines that still have a lot of warranty time on them for a good bargain.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Chuck! :wav:

I've been using the AT Pro for 4 years now and find it an amazing unit for both water and land detecting. :thumbsup:
I started out with the Garrett Ace 350 5 years ago, but quickly found I needed more information about the object prior to putting a shovel in the ground!

The next tool you need to invest in and will find you can't detect without it, is the Garrett AT Pro-Pointer or the new 'Garrett Carrot'! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you in New England,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread