New hunters,,,Please help

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

County level? city level? state level? In the context of where you read that, was it specifically for "Navarro County" ? Or just an in-general statement for anywhere in the USA? If it was a "general" statement (as opposed to something true for just your county), then let me tell you: for county and city levels, there are very few cities or counties that have such a thing, in the entire USA. A few bigger cities, like NY or whatever, dreamed up such things, and I can think of a single county in all of CA that has such a thing (but that not even the rank and file county parks guys are even aware of it). So odds are, no, no such "permit" exists in most any city or county park you'll ever come to.

And even on the state level (state parks), only a few of the 50 have such a thing (as most just simply say "no", on their state parks .... or "inquire at each kiosk" if you can or can't detect). So most md'rs make it simple, and just don't do state or fed. level parks, and simply go to city and county parks (which as I say, rarely ever have anything that specifically addresses md'ing in any way).

If you're still wondering if your particular county, or cities around you, have something on the books for their city and county level parks, then you can do this: Look up on the cities or counties websites, that you intend to go to. (afterall, seems every govt. entities got a website nowadays :)) On there, there's usually a menu, from which you can check on municipal codes, laws, etc... And often even a tab for "parks", where there should be the rules (ie.: no dogs allowed, closes at sunset, etc...). If you see nothing about md'ing, well there you go, there :icon_thumright: must not be any "permits" :hello:

If the city you have in mind is seeeooo small, that they have no website, there is still probably the charter and rules/laws at city hall somewhere, for public viewing (like on the front counter). Because it has to be available for the public, at some way to view. Best to look this up for yourself, lest your question be interpretted by some desk-bound clerk to be a form of asking their permission, and you risk a "no" (simply because someone had images of geeks with shovels, etc....)

My wife and I are new to metal detecting. We live in Navarro County in north central Texas. We read an article last night stating that we may need permits to hunt on public lands. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread