What's new

New Jersey Copper Coin

melnibe

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
45
Reaction score
97
Golden Thread
1
Location
Southern Vermont
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
DFX
Found this New Jersey Copper Coin today in a hayfield in Southern Vermont. Has no date on it. Any idea what type it is?
 

Attachments

  • 20150822_184740.webp
    20150822_184740.webp
    385.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 20150822_184643.webp
    20150822_184643.webp
    339.5 KB · Views: 222
Upvote 32
Hey that's an amazing find, especially from a hay field! :occasion14:

If that field had been a pasture for cows or horses that coin likely wouldn't have survived!

Dave
 
I a relatively a noob to this obsession, but that's a sweet coin. Congrats on pulling treasure from that hay field. :occasion14:
 
Not sure of the type ....Don in SJ will know, but it's in darn beautiful shape! One of the best I have seen and there and been 3 NJ coppers in just the last week. Congrats! :thumbsup:
 
A ton of detail on that copper except where the date would be unfortunately. There's enough detail there for someone to ID it for you. Great find. I'd be getting back to that hay field if I were you.
 
Your NJ copper is the rarest variety I think ever found and posted on TNet. It appears to be at least a Rarity 6 or 6+ Very Rare. I believe, but waiting for verification that it is a 1787 Maris 71-y Plaited Mane variety. I am certain on the Obverse being a Maris 71 die variety due to the die crack running from between 8 and 7 up to the base of the horse. Slightly possible the reverse is not a Maris y die variety, but all seems to match. BIG CONGRATS! Don
 
Last edited:
It has been verified by a couple of other NJ knowledgeable individuals, so a 1787 Maris 71-y Plaited Mane variety it is. Big congratulations! Rarity 6 or 6+ in the NJ world is much much harder to come by than any CT copper in that range for some reason, so I was very happy to see this find. According to "the book" on NJ Coppers, estimated survivial rate of a 71-y is 17-32, not known remaining a calculated survival rate...thus the rarity of 6 or 6+..... This is the only 1787 Maris 71-y in my survey of over 700 ground founds.... Don
 
Based on Don's attribution I am going to vote Banner on your NJ Copper. It is not only very rare but appears to be in beautiful shape as well -- congrats again! Take extra care in any cleaning/restoration!
 
Congratulations on a rare beauty, hope someone dropped one of those over here in Southern NH and I walk over it!!!
 
Cropped the photos and combined
 

Attachments

  • 1787 M.71-y Plaited Mane type NJ copper.webp
    1787 M.71-y Plaited Mane type NJ copper.webp
    97.7 KB · Views: 142
Is that your coin on the auction block? If so, that pays for your metal detector!
 
Wow, hey that's a nice NJ! I wish mine looked that nice and was rare. Instead it was crusty and common. Lol

Big congrats! If Don is excited you should be!!
 
Ok, wow, that's a rate copper. I just read a little about it and the varieties. Now there are a good amount of NJ coppers found, but this one is the best of the best.

It belongs on Banner, hopefully that still means something. I'm putting a vote in
 
That's a very rare Copper ....I cant believe it didn't make banner when it was posted...My only NJ copper was in amazing condition..But not rare...Your is in decent condition but very rare ....Congrats
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom