New kid to CRHing

K

Jul 17, 2011
MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New kid to CRH'ing

Hey guys I'm 15 and have been reading a lot of topics on this very neat forum and went and bought 2 nickel rolls 1 dime roll and 6 penny rolls. Nickels and dimes were both skunk but out of the pennies I got 3 wheats. I know its not much but I was happy to see my first catch :tongue3: , if you guys have any tips or tricks it would be highly appreciated and thank you for showing me this is a great hobby, and hey it pays for itself :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
Re: New kid to CRH'ing

The biggest thing to remember is be patient. Especially with such a small quantities. Glad to see the next generation coming along, good luck.

Thanks AZ, I know I need to get some more money to buy bigger quanities. Good luck to you! :wink:

You don't really need any more money if your able to get to a decent amount of banks easily. Just keep swapping them out for different denominations.

keep at it and welcome to the forums and your new addiction. ;D

Thanks for the welcome Bigheed :notworthy: and I like that " My new addiction"

Hi K,
It's great to see young people getting into the coin collecting hobby. You will
have a great time starting up your collection. The best advice I can give you
is to be "patient" and "persistent". Also, always be kind to the bank tellers.
They will help you and always look out for you. Best of luck and I can't wait
to see your first big score. "It's out there for the finding....trust me."
Welcome.
rileyboy

Thanks rileyboy, I think this would be a better hobby than getting in trouble and things of that nature. :icon_salut: but what ways can I be nice to the tellers other than saying thank you?

One of the most important things to remember is there are no absolutes in this hobby. You could search hundreds of rolls with nothing, find several solid rolls of keepers at one bank, or anything and everything in between. Also remember, Pennies earlier than 1982 are 95% Copper and carry a premium over face value. Some 1982s are also 95% Copper, but you'll need to weigh them to know for sure. 95% Copper weighs 3.1 grams, 97.5% Zinc weighs 2.5 grams.

welcome!! next time, if you can dump your coins easier and have good funds, try for a box of coins- $25 in pennies which are fun and affordable- I am averaging 18 per box of $25, or a $100 box of nickels, fun too and buffalo nickels I am averaging 1 for every 3 boxes. dimes, $250- i do not reccoment, I was averaging 1 silver every $500(2 boxes) hh!

Thanks for the welcomes guys! mleblanc138 believe me I know there are no absolutes but I don't really know about keeping the pre-82's, you can't melt them, well legally. :wink: BuffaloBoy I know I would love to get a box. But I would like to keep searching dimes because I love those Mercs. :love10:

mercs are dry in my area- silver is. 15 boxes of dimes searched = 6 silver roosevelt dimes

@BuffaloBoy - I'm sorry to hear that :( so are you doing more pennies and nickels now? And also I think there aren't many CRH'ing people in my area so I feel pretty confident about Mercs, but there is no way I can afford $250 so should I just buy as many rolls I can?

You might be searching for a very very long time to find a Merc. I've found 26 Silver Roosevelts and a 1943 Silver Canadian and still no Merc. The only reason I have my one Merc is because I cheated by buying it at a coin shop. Yes, just buy as many rolls as you can, I once found a Silver Roosevelt in just $15 searched, and once found 2 in $25 searched. Customer rolls are best, but you can do sealed as well if you have a way to drop the loose coin. Plastic rolls can be searched in seconds without opening them. And always ask for Half Dollars, just yesterday I found 2 40%s in $70 of sealed rolls.

Thanks for the tips Buffalo and mleblanc, And should I ask them for customer wrapped or just take what they give me I don't if it's just me but I think that would look bad and I don't want to make the tellers mad or anything.

Welcome. Here is the best piece of advice anybody can give you in my opinion that i wish i had somebody told me at your age. You want a bank roll...period. You obviously understand what is going on and what is at stake...ie money among others. Why you want a bank roll is so u can do more. Some of us are rolling 5-10k cash around and around. Now granite more than likely you don't have access to that kind of cash and if u do be thankful and put it to use. But more than likely you are like most 15 year olds and pretty much broke with a little cash flowing through your hands. So I would encourage you to become a saver. The more you save the more u can roll and go through. And u just keep building that roll to do more coins...it's a numbers game. Personally if I had a son such as you, I would encourage him to sell ALL collector coins he finds for whatever profit he can get and keep ALL silver. The profit gets rolled back into the roll...and the roll grows. And then the second part is go out there and make money and keep growing that roll! U feel me so far :wink:

Because I'm 37 and have always been motivated to make money, started mowing lawns and had my own TLC lawn care business at 12. Had I known about this at 15 I would have retired by now with the run of the bull market in the last 10 years, as i would have been heavy into silver and gold 500% back. But anyway I hope that helps and that u take advantage while u can. And be encourage starting out, the good stuff will always find it's way into circulation!

How I wish I would have known about this Coin Hunting thing at 15. I'm 21 so still pretty young, but Silver made a crazy run just this past year. Anyway, I like to place priority on customer rolls, but just do whatever you can as fast as you can if you have a bank with a coin counter. And there's nothing wrong with asking a teller for customer rolls. When I walk into a bank, the first thing I ask for is Halves, then customer rolled Dimes, then sealed Dimes. I've actually made some pretty good teller friends by just being nice.

Thanks StevoCBR, everyone is telling me I am lucky to have found this hobby early and I'm happy I have. That's good mleblanc138 because I feel like customer rolled rolls are much better anyways, even though i got my wheats from clear plastic :-X I just wanted to know if I could ask for CR rolls because I started actually CRH'ing about a week ago and don't want to step on anyone's toes at the bank.

Welcome, great that you are starting young. Keep up the pennies, they are cheap and you always find good ones. Just make sure that you can dump them in a machine, they are a pain to wrap. I also recommend getting some of the coin folders. They are fun to fill as you CRH. Keep it up pal.

to make it easy to hunt -- hunt dimes and quarters for silver --once you get some sell them to raise "capital"-- a working set of money to fund your efforts * -- save up till you get say $100 bucks worth of silver to cash in -- that will be your working funds * -- by using money earned by cashing out silver --your not tying up ANY PERSONAL FUNDS -- and the value of the coins bought will always be worth "face value"--so there is no risk of loss. -- theres only --up side .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back