New Mexico interpretation

sneeky

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2007
Hi,
New to the forum and it looks amazing. I'm not sure how I didn't find it sooner. I need some opinions of what a few things mean. It would be best from someone in New Mexico, but anyone's thoughts would be appreciated.
Two pieces of background information. First, we are talking about the area around Truth or Consequences, second, the gentleman who wrote this information down came from Italy as a boy. He spoke and wrote fluent Italian, and he spoke and wrote Spanish fairly well. This was written in Spanish.
First, in describing an area, what do you think he meant by "bad ground". As in a crude map he drew and one section he put an arrow with these words. What could "bad ground" mean?
Second, does anyone know of, or have ever seen rock formations that could be described as umbrellas or mushrooms, somewhere between the size of a car and a house? If so, where? Are these kind of rock formations popular in this area or rare?
I've never been to New Mexico and really don't have a clue about the terrain. Any help from people familar with the area would be great.
Thanks
Todd

K

Kentucky Kache

Hello and welcome to the forum. I've been to NM., but I don't know enough about it to help you. Those are Interesting questions. Can you share more of your story without giving too much?

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Go to Cache Hunting and try to reach cptbil. He's probably the most knowledgeable person on that area.
Aquanut

OP
OP
S

sneeky

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2007
Thanks aqua, I will.
The story is one that has probably been told a million times. An older friend of mine had her dad die last year. He was in his 90's. They open the safety deposit box and find a hand drawn map from the 30's he had drawn. Of course he oultlived everyone from that time period and no one knew anything about the map. My friend knew that I did a little research and looking in the Uintah's, Utah, so she gave it to me, said no one in the family wanted it. It's pretty cool actually, seeing an original map that no one else has ever seen. I've had it completely interpreted into English and some of the clues and descriptions are pretty good, but some, like these, are pretty tough. I think sometimes he mixes Italian with Spanish, at least in the way he thinks about things. There were two Spanish words that no one could interpret. There is no absolute known land mark, like 20 miles north of the so and so river, or this mountain, canyon etc. But he lived his entire life in that area so it most likely is around there. It also doesn't say what it's a map of, a mine, cache or good hunting spot. Because some research I've done, I think it is a cache. It was also written on a business letter head that he worked at from the area.
Todd

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Bad ground could mean that it isn't good for planting crops. Just a thought.

Also go to the general discussion-New Mexico board.

I do know there is "bad ground" in Alamogordo, NM as my ex-wife is from there, ;D

just look

Nov 4, 2005
AZ
The spanish word malapi means bad land's. Today the word malapi refers to a black rock,that can cover acres of land making it impossible to cross by any means. As for the rock formation [mushroom umbrella] I've seen what your talking about more than once though not as big as a house. Good luck=]

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on Just. Malpais/ malpie is a volcanic rock similar to lava, with sharp edges. It can cut a shoe or foot up very quickly.

Don Jose de La mancha

Aero you said --->I do know there is "bad ground" in Alamogordo, NM as my ex-wife is from there,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After we take up a collection, where do we send your flowers and the R.I.P. headboard ?

louserna

Dec 22, 2007
I'm from northern New Mexico... and I agree with the "malpais" interpretation... it is ancient lava flow and "gaseous" eruptions from eons ago, where the hot stuff came to the surface... over eons, the lava has weathered and is treacherous to walk on as it is very sharp and irregular... This would be "bad ground".... As for the "mushroom" lookin oddities, they are soft dirt where rocks and boulders had rested on level ground.... over more eons, rain and rushing water washed away much of the dirt and left these odd looking "peaks" with a single rock on top.... You could say they look like a giant golfball sitting on a golf tee. Very unusual and there are some here in New Mexico in the Central area.... They are referred to as "Bisti" formations.

PS. Was your Italian fellow named "Gongora"? If so, I may have more to your story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread