Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ID'd this as a prehistoric shelter some years back and I always check it out when I'm in NE New Mexico, to make sure it's still intact. Although it's only 50 feet from a well used trail the general public and the officials don't know about it as far as I can determine. I'd like it to stay that way. On this visit, I spotted this point on the slope below the shelter. This would be a side notched point, and it broke at the notches, so it would extend maybe another 1/8". Most people call this a bird point. (Complete misnomer, but ok) In Oklahoma, it would be called a Washita point and be about 600-1000 years old. It's still there tamrock if you want to go find it, haha! Warning! Appears to be a possible burial at this site and it hasn't been messed with. It's obvious to even a casually trained eye, but maybe it will stay unmolested.

Attachments

• nm17.jpg
    nm17.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 83
  • nm8.jpg
    nm8.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 96

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....so interesting...thanks for sharing that. We found one, large one, way down a little dry creek/wash...bat doo everywhere. Found another high up with cougar prints in it...didn't stay there to long. Didn't see or really look for artifacts though. That's very nice of you to leave the point for tamrock...were you making a point? lol

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am very happy you feel that way,but i already knew.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....so interesting...thanks for sharing that. We found one, large one, way down a little dry creek/wash...bat doo everywhere. Found another high up with cougar prints in it...didn't stay there to long. Didn't see or really look for artifacts though. That's very nice of you to leave the point for tamrock...were you making a point? lol
I saw what looked like thousands of bats one time on the road that runs east out of Socorro one evening just before the sun set. It was awesome!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! RGINN, Not sure I'll ever get over that way. I've only been in that area a few times going to Texas. The material that point was made from looks like a red quartzite? Is it that or a Jasper? Nice find!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread