New Orleans Metro area Hunting Club

Ants

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Hello Ken glad to hear someone's out there. I was reading an on line posting of a mding hunter being kicked out of the city park in Baton Rouge. What is the situation here on Nola and especially here on the west bank. I'm thinking of maybe hitting Westwego park and maybe one in Belle Chase, but I want to be sure I do this right. Will you help me to understand the situation here?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be fine over there, to my knowledge there is no rule against detecting here in the parks. Or at least if there is no one has bothered me about it. Get in touch with NewOrleansRelic, he's on that side of the river and would know better than me what's up there, but over here it's no problem.

Ants

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Thank you Ken, just got home from work and will hopefully make contact with Mr. Relic. Question: during the hot periods here why not hunt? Is it due to some type of conductivity problem, or just the heat. I work outside all day and have become quit used to the heat, it's the winter wet cold that I don't like. Thanks again.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the big problem is just how hard the ground gets in some places, sometimes near impossible to dig without tearing it up. Plus when the ground is really dry you do lose some signal depth, not much but it can make finding the good stuff difficult. I do hunt in the summer but I usually go out after a good rain softens the ground up foe me.

Ants

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I know I've got some learning ahead of me. I'm excited my BH should be in between now and Friday. I've already read the owners manual about three times-not enough, I know. I live in an apt. So my first try will be in mother-in-law's yard. I'm in construction, a carpenter, so I'M already thinking about manufacturing some simple tools I can dig with.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:Hi Ants!! Welcome to TNet! RR here from the North Shore. What NOLA_Ken says about summer hunting is true and then again if the humidity & mosquitoes don't do you in...you're good to go. I've never hunted any of the city parks of BRLA or NOLA just the parks in my area. Never no problems @ any of them. Look on the good side of it, you're a carpenter and probably doing some work on older constructed sites in the area. Here's a good opportunity for you to get permission from the owners to detect the grounds...just liable to find some old relics. Good luck & happy hunting!!

Ants

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
Thanks RR. You're reading my mind. Just gonna read that employee hand book and make sure I'm not violating any company rules, these guys treat me pretty good. Well she didn't come in today, but it gives me time to get my gear bag together. I'll be reading that little manual again too.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Construction sites are great hunting here, I found an Indian penny on the surface in the bobcat tracks at a job I was on last year. I think I need another remodeling job......

Ants

Greenie
Oct 14, 2012
I've heard of some treasures being found here and back home in Colorado, do I am excited about the possibilities, but listen it maybe a conflict of interest for me: doesn't mean it would be for either of you two. I'm on the river noe but expect to Benin an historical area soon. Can I keep you both in mind?

Jimbo282

Tenderfoot
Aug 25, 2013
Kenner,La.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone ! If you would just take the time to go to my last post here in the Club section and read the post it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe we can get the ball rolling along with a meeting. Please leave a reply if you choose so on the other post about the meeting.

Thanks,
Jimmy Stewart
Jimbo282

heckaroo

Aug 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Ken. \I would like to see one too. I know a couple of guys in this area that has been doing this for years. would love to connect up with them. you may be one of them. They worked for Entergy (Ken and Bob) They are like me, retired now. Gene.
Big Ken;2219758]I find it hard to fathom that with all the Th'ers around this area that there is not a club within' shooting distance. If I am wrong please let me know. It may be worth the time to form one from the hunters I know personally. Just not sure if I could do it solo. Let me know what you local guys think. Thanks, Ken[/QUOTE]

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing is to find someone who has private property to hunt, so I am usually asking co workers or whoever i feel comfortable asking if they themselves have land or know of someone who may be willing to allow a few people to dig. Just concerned that groups of people digging in these public spaces at once may draw unwanted attention, as it is the state asks that anything found (city park) worthwhile be turned over to them.

SwampDog35

Tenderfoot
Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone still active here in the NOLA area? Getting back into this again as some things came up in the past couple of years that didn't allow me to hunt. (Rasing 2-teenagers during highschool). Feel free to contact me.

Chad

Joe504

May 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too! Actually, the wife and I were hoping to go out this weekend, but we have never been. Anybody want to meet up and show us the ropes?

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still looking for new spots, outside of city park

Donald70448

Feb 22, 2014
Mandeville, La
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm always looking for hunting partners, I'm in mandeville by lakefront but don't mind traveling road trips ! Let's hunt !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread