PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just signed up some new work on Friday and secured a permission at the same time. It's a fairly new beach side construction site without many homes on it yet. The super told me they did a lot of infrastructure work so a lot of sand had been stored and then replaced after culverts and pipes were installed. Most of this type of work occurs towards the center part of most developments while the periphery stays relatively untouched.

Sphillips and I hit it Sunday, early-early while it was still cool. Me on the northern fence line heading east and him up the middle to the eastern fence and then turning south. We hit the normal amount of modern trash but he found the first modern coin spill of the day (clad and cents). I decided to go east and found this bike frame.
BikeFrame2.JPG

About 15' away from the bike, up under some seagrapes, I got a bunch of mid 60 signals on my ATMax which turned out to be my own modern coin spill. It seemed to be in a sweeping arc like some intentionally scattered a bunch of cents. After the seventh zinc cent with many more to go, I got a mid 80 signal which can be in the clad range. So I was looking for a nice change and found a modern plastic jar with the lid on it. I grabbed it expecting to add it to my trash pile when I noticed something inside moving. I assumed it was water that had leaked into the jar. When I shook it something solid moved inside. My mind switched to being excited about a possible Geocache someone might have hidden. Here is a picture after I removed it from the hole and placed it back for the photo after discovering something was inside.
Handgun-Insitu1.JPG

My mind shifted from excitement about a possible Geocache to alarm when I realized it was a firearm someone had intentionally protected and buried.
Handgun-Extracted2.JPG
It turns out it is an American Arms 25 cal. handgun the size of your palm.

What I thought was rusty moisture around the handgun turned out to be old oil. I'm glad I had my gloves on for this find so I could take it out and get some images.
Here are a some more images.
Handgun-OpenJar2.JPG Handgun-OpenJar1.JPG Handgun-OpenJar4-PartialExtraction.JPG
Handgun-Extracted3.JPG Handgun-Extracted4.JPG
Handgun-Extracted1.JPG

Anyone remember the series "Lost in Space"? In situations like this my mind thinks of the robot saying "Danger Will Robinson". I did a quick scan to confirm more cents in the area and extracted myself from the seagrapes. When I looked for Steve to share my find with, I realized he was the one calling me in the middle of my find to tell me he had to leave. Turns out there was no rounds in the clip but I haven't a clue about the chamber.

My mind is racing at this point about possible illegal activities associated with this gun but I was leaning more towards stolen and buried. I reasoned that if it had been used in a crime they wouldn't have taken such care in preserving it.

Late yesterday, Monday, I got some time and took it to the local police station. I left it in the van when I went in since I didn't want to activate their SWAT team. :laughing7: Their cautious reaction is another part of the story for another day but they did tell me this was the second buried handgun found in the same general area. It seems like there was a homeless person camping out in this area that they believe had the previous one stashed for protection. They processed it, made a report, said they would check serial #'s and send it off for testing. I told them I was interested in getting it back if that was a possibility.

Thanks for looking and I'll post a mysterious second find I made the same day in another thread.
EDIT- Here's the link- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/651517-24-30-mystery-sphere-access-port-end.html#post6712096

ps. I'm extremely buried with work so be patient with me getting back for replies or to answer questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 27
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember in a crossword puzzle of all places that the word orange is the only word that doesn,t rhyme with any other word,I,m not asserting that as true just relating what I read since you mentioned it.

That's what I remember as well, that the word "orange" doesn't have another word that rhymes with it. One of those random things that does stick in my memory. Go figure.

And yeah, exactly. Be careful where it is pointing.

Last edited:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I remember as well, that the word "orange" doesn't have another word that rhymes with it. One of those random things that does stick in my memory. Go figure.

And yeah, exactly. Be careful where it is pointing.

My Mom once described my brain as a vast storehouse of useless knowledge,I love her any way!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread