new sluice box

Nodnor the Wise

Tenderfoot
Oct 15, 2013
east Point, Ga
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All, Just got my new sluice box today, just a 30", starting small. Took it apart and scrubbed it down to get rid of any oil on the rifles or body, washed the exp metal and carpet too.
Now the question, chalk it up to not paying attention, or old age, or dementia..... but I forgot to look at which way the exp metal goes back in. When you run your hand up and down the exp it feels rough in one direction, and smooth in the other. When you put it in the sluice, and run your hand over it should it be rough be pointing to the feed end or the tailings end. Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Paul

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want the raised edge towards the feed end of the sluice, these are just like small riffles so the raised edge towards the front end where your feeding the material in. The diamond shaped area's on the expanded should be high end towards the front or feed end of the sluice and the lower end towards the back or exit end of the sluice.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry wingmaster but I beg to differ. With the raised edge to the feed end it will be like a drywashers riffles. In order to get the riffle eddie effect the high side needs to face the same direction as the big riffles. Other wise they just load up and do not cause the vortex and the gold will just bounce on out.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BHP is right as usual...

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry wingmaster but I beg to differ. With the raised edge to the feed end it will be like a drywashers riffles. In order to get the riffle eddie effect the high side needs to face the same direction as the big riffles. Other wise they just load up and do not cause the vortex and the gold will just bounce on out.

Good job BH.... I saw this thread a couple of days ago but I didnt know how to explain it without sounding like some know it all. Good choice of words.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about each individual diamond shape? you want the low end of each individual diamond shape facing the feed end then? I'm sure mine are facing right it's just hard to explain I guess, but with it turned wrong way the angle of the diamond shapes(riffles) is leaning towards the feed end not away from it, which would pack stuff in front of it but wash away every thing on the back side. I guess I'm not looking at it in whole but yeah you want it making riffles just like the actual riffles in the sluice, my fault as I was just thinking about it a single diamond shape and when mines the right way the high side is towards the feed end but its leaning towards the discharge end like the rest of the riffles. I guess I was trying to explain it like that because the diamond shapes are not flat how there welded together as one side is higher than the other and the high side I believe is facing the feed end I think.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread