new sluicebox design??? help please???

mattisdell1983

Mar 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, I have a question. I have a royal 30" sluice box and was wanting to make a homemade highbanker with a recirculating water supply using a 1000gph pump in my garage. My question is... I think 30" isnt going to be quite long enough for the material to travel without losing some gold in the process and I was wanting to increase my chances of finding some gold so Here are a couple of pictures to see if anyone has any good feedback on which of these might work the best or maybe a different idea all together. I am wanting to add another 30" +/- onto my sluice box but Im not sure if I should just add it to the end of my existing box to make it 60" long or maybe make it at an "L" shape? any suggestions? and any other pictures and suggestions will be great. Maybe start off with my normal sluice box then add 30" of black "V" groove matting to catch the finer stuff then add an underflow after that to get the feally fine stuff and have 3 to 4 different ways of cqatching gold? lol Or maybe just make a homemade "blue bowl" for the finer gold. PLEASE HELP thank you guys alot fot the input, Matt isdell

Attachments

• 2012-12-10_20-12-33_676.jpg
    2012-12-10_20-12-33_676.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 193

specksandflecks

Nov 13, 2009
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What sizes of gold do you have?
What sizes of classifying screen do you have?
It's probably best to have the low profile matting before the larger riffles. Your 30" box is probably long enough if you can change out the riffles. The key is to classify down. It takes some time in the smaller sizes but really is key to recovery.
Your box will need different types of riffles/matting, slope and water volume to efficiently concentrate different sizes of gravels IMO.
Blue bowl is a great investment also.
Posting a photo of your sluice and what size of gold you are trying to recover should help in getting you more/better advice.

My smallest cut for my recirc sluice is 20- mesh and I should probably go 1-2 sizes smaller with some of the areas I work. Clean 20- gravels will generally get you decent results sluicing finer gold.

This video shows my LeTrap running 20- concentrates, it does a pretty decent job and you don't necessarily need a 5' recovery area. Getting a laminar flow of water is important though and that might take some extra length depending on how you do it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/275284-letrap-recirculating-sluice-video.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread