New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
My only big "complaint" so far is this:

I think I speak for many members when I say that it seems like all the text for every title is BOLD!

It looks horrible...

I don't know why it bothers me so much but it really looks bad. I understand that the bold text is supposed to represent a thread with a new reply. But why have bold text and an icon to indicate the status of a thread?

I have been reading a lot of the complaints from members on various threads started to lodge a "complaint". This seems like the main problem that people have is that it looks cluttered and jumbled and this translates to people posting "it looks confusing". There are too many conflicting colors that just all sort of jumble together. Simpler is better.

I have very good eyes but I find myself having a hard time focusing on thread titles because they are all in bold with various colors of backgrounds in the table frames.

2nd: This wouldn't be so bad on its own but it gets compounded by too much text in thread titles.

"Started by Mach 1 Pilot, Mar 25, 2012 07:13 PM" This appears below thread titles and it looks horrible. It all jumbles together and it is very difficult to focus on a title and decide what links to read or open.

Please consider this and take some action - please! Try some things out, there has got to be a better way.

Last edited:

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know why?The other day I got fet up with this & not been back.But I done a scan to clean my computer with norton 360 the other day.Now since coming back on
here I was curious so I ran another.Each time it seems I run one with out going anywhere else but here I find all these risk.Something else that never happened before for me.Is there a
reason for this?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 87

Pa.Billy

May 10, 2008
Indiana Co. Pa......... finds include,confedera
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Also, I notice the banner can only be viewed from the top of the Home, Forum and Active Topics main board. Was it the same way before? I seem to remember it was at the top of the child boards too. Thanks.

We are starting to forget things about the old tnet. The banner was on all forum pages. This was easier to see the banner. Now I rarely look at it as I just bookmark my favorite sub-forums and access them like that.

yes this is idiotic, I frequent the "today's finds"forum, the birth place of banner finds and you can't see it from there ? what in the world are you thinking ??

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know why?The other day I got fet up with this & not been back.But I done a scan to clean my computer with norton 360 the other day.Now since coming back on
here I was curious so I ran another.Each time it seems I run one with out going anywhere else but here I find all these risk.Something else that never happened before for me.Is there a
reason for this?

None of those "risks" seem like anything other then normal internet browsing to me.

Also, I notice the banner can only be viewed from the top of the Home, Forum and Active Topics main board. Was it the same way before? I seem to remember it was at the top of the child boards too. Thanks.

We are starting to forget things about the old tnet. The banner was on all forum pages. This was easier to see the banner. Now I rarely look at it as I just bookmark my favorite sub-forums and access them like that.

yes this is idiotic, I frequent the "today's finds"forum, the birth place of banner finds and you can't see it from there ? what in the world are you thinking ??

This should now be in more places on the site, including threads and child forums.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible for members to block other members from having access to certain threads? And if so, how do you do it?

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know what i liked about the old look was that at the banner you could put your mouse over one of the images and it would say what it was and that is how i figured out which banner find i wanted to read. could you please put it up on the new looking fourms again please.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've noticed certain pages are very slow to load, especially ones with many replies (this one for example), is this going to be a normal thing? It's 6am so the traffic isn't heavy yet.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Bug report (using Firefox):
As of this morning, I cannot stay logged in, after logging in successfully and then closing my browser. It asks me to log in every time I open a new browser.
Pages are loading very very slowly.

Looking for some follow up on my previous post...
Looks like some changes were made to the "parent" pages and actual posts.
However, when browsing topics in today's finds, I am still having a hard time looking at the titles. It looks too cluttered when combined with the BOLD text.
Are you considering altering this in any way? As it currently appears, it is very hard to focus or zero-in on the topics that I want to open.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
The banner as we knew it at the top of every page seems to have been dumped in favor of advertisements instead. I took a break for a couple weeks or so & came back to find lots of changes and to be blunt they suck so far. I guess with the new owners it's ALL about the money...

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The banner as we knew it at the top of every page seems to have been dumped in favor of advertisements instead. I took a break for a couple weeks or so & came back to find lots of changes and to be blunt they suck so far. I guess with the new owners it's ALL about the money...

I believe they changed the banner back to the way it was. Of course they bought this forum to make a profit and deserve to do so. I don't work for free and I doubt you do either. They have been working very hard to tweek things and make the forum easier to use and have made great strides in the last few days. It will never be the old tnet but give it a chance. It grows on you.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you know what i liked about the old look was that at the banner you could put your mouse over one of the images and it would say what it was and that is how i figured out which banner find i wanted to read. could you please put it up on the new looking fourms again please.

We should be able to add this functionality back in...

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of this morning, I cannot stay logged in, after logging in successfully and then closing my browser. It asks me to log in every time I open a new browser.

However, when browsing topics in today's finds, I am still having a hard time looking at the titles. It looks too cluttered when combined with the BOLD text.
Are you considering altering this in any way? As it currently appears, it is very hard to focus or zero-in on the topics that I want to open.

I have no idea why some are having slowdowns... we are still optimizing the site as we are getting bursts of traffic that are loading the server down. So that's a work in progress.

And yes, we are working on offering a different version of the thread lists that have less information.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firefox Bug report

Bug report - Firefox browser showing members avatar photos (Tuberale and Ivan Salis I believe)on "go to first post" and "go to last post", Here is a screen shot so you kinow what i'm talking about. Running Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7

firefox screen shot.JPG

Last edited:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bug report - Firefox browser showing members avatar photos (Tuberale and Ivan Salis I believe)on "go to first post" and "go to last post", Here is a screen shot so you kinow what i'm talking about. Running Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 7

View attachment 621076

I'm not seeing that at all. Can you hit ctrl-f5 and that will do a hard refresh (may have to do it twice) -- looks like a browser bug.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 621076

I'm not seeing that at all. Can you hit ctrl-f5 and that will do a hard refresh (may have to do it twice) -- looks like a browser bug.
Just opened firefox up to do that and it's not showing it anymore.
:thumbsup:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, titles need to be by theirselves and thread starters need to be in column just like last post by is. If they do that,people will start coming back to this site.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The New Forum: Gripes, Issues and Other Mentionables...

Feel free to add to this thread.

I was going to add this to the New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread. but decided to make a post on it's own so others could add their own concerns to it. I don't know how this will be taken (constructively I hope) but here are my issues after the first week or so of the new forum.

1- I think it was mentioned before, can we get the green check mark back on the "what is it" forum to show whether a post has been solved or not. That was a unique and integral part of that particular forum. Right now I see you've utilized the green check to show "subscribed threads" or to "subscribe" to a forum. Bad move.

2- Also how come we can't see what child forum our "subscribed threads" are posted in when viewing them from their perspective page under quick links? Had it before.

3- After replying to a post, I am still on the same thread versus returning to the child forum board itself.

4- You can't see the topic when moving your cursor over the banner as you could before.

5- I think the gold TN coin (double-click this icon to mark this forum and it's contents as read) on the left side of each subject board is kinda of useless. I mean who has actually read every subject in an entire forum and why would they need to mark it read to begin with? And why are some of them silver?

6- RSS feeds- who cares? except maybe the 20 (or a few 30) somethings. Maybe you are trying to attract a younger type member to the site? The "old" guys are your main member base.

7- Certain pages (especially ones with pics and a lot of replies) are still very slow to load in IE8 and Firefox. I do weekly maintenance on my PC's so it's not caused from a build up of anything. Happens on my laptop too which is 4 times the machine my desktop is.
There is a glitch somewhere.

8-What about all of our old bookmarks? I guess they are gone for good? I wish we would have been warned of this so we could have saved them.

9-Switch places with those generic looking smileys and put the "imported" ones to the top of the list instead. No big deal, but since i'm letting it all out I figured i'd mention it.

I'm starting to agree with some of the others, this place is a little too complicated, way too many unnecessary options and not enough of what made this site what it was, simplicity in layout and context. This place has yet to start "growing on me". I've been trying this past week or so and it isn't getting any better for me and the negatives do outweigh the positives as far as the changes go. Don't forget the average age of the person on this site is probably early-mid 50's. At 45 i'm one of the younger ones, I can only imagine how the septuagenarians on here feel. They don't care about all this new fangled social media BS, neither do I for that matter. That's what FB and Twitter is for. I no longer feel like i'm on treasurenet anymore when I am on here. I feel like a visitor in a cold foreign land. I don't know, maybe i'm just missing my old (what I considered) "home" so to speak. I'm done venting.:dontknow:

Last edited:

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
" since i'm letting it all out I figured i'd mention it."

:icon_salut::icon_salut:

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

Last edited:

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to log in each time, even after checking "save"....what am I missing with that? Nothing was changed on my cookie/security settings.

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for expressing most of my thoughts on this new format, DGMP. I will add a few more, if it hasn't been mentioned above already---
My trouble is I can't tell which post I have read before, sometimes the icon turns gray and/or the lettering is not bold. Then the next time I check in, like 3-8 times a day, it's reset and I'll have reread old posts.( I rather be out detecting, reading history, working my gardens or playing music!) The tech team has tried to explain the solution to this, but this geezer just don't get it, or they haven't set it up right yet.
As far as posting new threads with photos, I'l be trying that later this morn and find out how difficult that will be.

-HEY, T.N.-- please read these grips and get it together-you really don't want a bunch of 'mad pirates' to abandon ship--- da Prof♬♬

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread