Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received permission to detect a new spot in an 1800's neighborhood. The finds weren't that fantastic yet, but I have a lot to cover still.
I think some one beat me to the silver. :icon_scratch:
My finds today were:

*1900 IH

*1943P war nickel , 1935 & 37 Wheats, 1976 Canadian quarter. :tongue3:

*An old gold gilt pin with what looks like a tiger on it. :icon_scratch:

*A Navy Receiver Switch Box - Bureau of Ships tag dated April 21, 1941.

*A large "Hammer Slammer Cap Special" token. Dated 1994. Any idea what a Hammer Slammer is? ;D

*Lead seal. I can see "R & G ? K" on it.

*A strange looking bullet. (to me anyways :wink: )
Any idea how old it is? It has "W C C 6 7" on the bottom.

* Brass handle, plus many other tidbits.

Thanks for looking,
MM

Attachments

• MVC-283S.JPG
    MVC-283S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 992
  • MVC-292S.JPG
    MVC-292S.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 973
  • MVC-291S.JPG
    MVC-291S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 983
  • MVC-290S.JPG
    MVC-290S.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 982
  • MVC-289S.JPG
    MVC-289S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 983
  • MVC-288S.JPG
    MVC-288S.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 978
  • MVC-287S.JPG
    MVC-287S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 991
  • MVC-286S.JPG
    MVC-286S.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 985
  • MVC-285S.JPG
    MVC-285S.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 990
  • MVC-284S.JPG
    MVC-284S.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 990
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received the following info on the Tiger pin (?) above. Sounds like it could be a pretty good find afterall:

In looking at the photos, I think you may have stumbled onto a real find in our history. The medallion with the animal head on it may be a tiger. Wake Forest's sports teams were called the tigers for a very brief time (two seasons) in the late 1800's. The mascot never really took off and was dropped until 1923 when they became the Demon Deacons. If this is actually a "tiger" it would be the only image of this mascot we have seen. In fact that is where the school colors of "old gold & black" originated.
Very exciting!

What do you folks think, Tiger?
-MM-

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
ModernMiner said:
I received the following info on the Tiger pin (?) above. Sounds like it could be a pretty good find afterall:

In looking at the photos, I think you may have stumbled onto a real find in our history. The medallion with the animal head on it may be a tiger. Wake Forest's sports teams were called the tigers for a very brief time (two seasons) in the late 1800's. The mascot never really took off and was dropped until 1923 when they became the Demon Deacons. If this is actually a "tiger" it would be the only image of this mascot we have seen. In fact that is where the school colors of "old gold & black" originated.
Very exciting!

What do you folks think, Tiger?
-MM-

Doug - that's fantastic news brother! I hope it turns out to be the real deal. Keep us posted... :thumbsup:

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Doug, post an image of the back of the medallian. Very cool story!

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nc-joe said:

Joe,
Here's the back. I haven't cleaned it much but it still has most of the gold gilt on it.
Could have been a pin possibly by the two solder points. :icon_scratch:
What do you think?
-Doug-

Attachments

• MVC-293S.JPG
    MVC-293S.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 464

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
The first time I saw the medallion, I thought tiger. Honestly, think about the profile of a tiger and a lioness.
Definitely looks like a tiger to me. Cool!

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
ModernMiner said:
nc-joe said:

Joe,
Here's the back. I haven't cleaned it much but it still has most of the gold gilt on it.
Could have been a pin possibly by the two solder points. :icon_scratch:
What do you think?
-Doug-

Possibly a pin, or maybe a button from a uniform or something. See what information they have or pictures they have from that peroid and see if you can ID that by either discription or on a person in any photos from those 2 years.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Here's a little more information, but not much!

"From 1895 up till the 1920s, Wake Forest fought under the logo of a black and gold tiger. The team was also known as Baptists and as the Old Gold & Black. Wake had its own Bobby Bowden in the 1920s, a coach named Hank Garrity, who liked his teams "devilish play and fighting spirit." The Demon Deacons name sprang from that observation, and the name stuck. "

"As early as 1895, Wake Forest College was using its colors in athletic competition. The school's literary magazine, "The Wake Forest Student," described them in this manner:

"At last, Wake Forest has a college badge. It is a very neat button designed by Mr. John M. Heck and contains a tiger's head over the letters WFC. The colors are in old gold and black."
As the 20th century opened, those colors became frequently associated with the college, particularly its athletic and debate teams. Most historians believe that their adoption comes from the connection with the tiger mascot, and not, as some have proposed, from any association with the Bible.

Sadly, Heck, who is credited by the magazine with the creation of the tiger/old gold and black badge, died of typhoid fever at the age of 19 -- just one year after making a contribution to Wake Forest history that has lasted now for nearly 100 years.

The tiger mascot, however, remained with the school for just more than two decades. Reports indicate that by the early 1920s, the college's nicknames were most commonly noted as the "Baptists," or simply "The Old Gold & Black."

Sorry I can't find a picture of the badge yet.... Could your's be a debate team pin/button?

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nc-joe said:
Here's a little more information, but not much!

"From 1895 up till the 1920s, Wake Forest fought under the logo of a black and gold tiger. The team was also known as Baptists and as the Old Gold & Black. Wake had its own Bobby Bowden in the 1920s, a coach named Hank Garrity, who liked his teams "devilish play and fighting spirit." The Demon Deacons name sprang from that observation, and the name stuck. "

"As early as 1895, Wake Forest College was using its colors in athletic competition. The school's literary magazine, "The Wake Forest Student," described them in this manner:

"At last, Wake Forest has a college badge. It is a very neat button designed by Mr. John M. Heck and contains a tiger's head over the letters WFC. The colors are in old gold and black."
As the 20th century opened, those colors became frequently associated with the college, particularly its athletic and debate teams. Most historians believe that their adoption comes from the connection with the tiger mascot, and not, as some have proposed, from any association with the Bible.

Sadly, Heck, who is credited by the magazine with the creation of the tiger/old gold and black badge, died of typhoid fever at the age of 19 -- just one year after making a contribution to Wake Forest history that has lasted now for nearly 100 years.

The tiger mascot, however, remained with the school for just more than two decades. Reports indicate that by the early 1920s, the college's nicknames were most commonly noted as the "Baptists," or simply "The Old Gold & Black."

Sorry I can't find a picture of the badge yet.... Could your's be a debate team pin/button?

Thanks Joe.
I spoke with the director of the museum today and I also looked at some old 1800's -early 1900's photos of the football & baseball teams. He said the tiger would have been from the football team back then, and he has yet to see anything in print showing the original tiger. He was very excited about this find. I will donate it to the museum of course because it has more meaning to them. I would love to find something in old print showing that tiger symbol though, so I could make a display out of it. :icon_scratch:

***THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT REPLIES & "Keep the passion high!"***

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And how'd I miss this post for so long! :o MM! Awesome finds! Love the tiger pin! Hope ya can find a picture of the original!

Nana :wink:

I can't believe you aren't going on the FL hunt. Now who's suppose to show us the latest fashion trends? :-\

;D

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Nana40 said:
And how'd I miss this post for so long! :o MM! Awesome finds! Love the tiger pin! Hope ya can find a picture of the original!

I can't believe you aren't going on the FL hunt. Now who's suppose to show us the latest fashion trends? :-\

;D

Nana - Doug is lending Chris one of his "slinkier" numbers to wear... ;D

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DD-777 said:
Nana40 said:

;D

O.K., now that is just sick!!! My kind of humor. :tongue3: :thumbsup: :icon_jokercolor:
I do think Chris could pull it off nicely though IF he shaves his legs. ::)
Looking forward to seeing some beach shots of you two clowns. :wink:
-Doug-

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
ModernMiner said:
DD-777 said:
Nana40 said:

;D

O.K., now that is just sick!!! My kind of humor. :tongue3: :thumbsup: :icon_jokercolor:
I do think Chris could pull it off nicely though IF he shaves his legs. ::)
Looking forward to seeing some beach shots of you two clowns. :wink:
-Doug-

Remeber guys, he likes bikini beach shots, so dust off you 2 piece and be ready to pose!

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
modern miner.......digs nice stuff, period.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I figured out what the lead seal with "R & G" on it is from:

"R & G" is from the Raleigh & Gaston Railroad.

According to the book I read, R & G Railroad started in Forestville, NC in 1840. The train depot was then later moved just down the road to Wake Forest in 1874 closer to the college. By the start of the 1900's, R & G was just a memory, and a new railroad took over.
A neat historical find for sure.

-MM-

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MM, this is an amazing assortment of great finds from an apparent virgin site. Hope you get back there soon. I enjoy your posts. HH and stay warm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread