Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is an house abandoned house that I have been drooling over for 2 years now. A couple of months ago I did some research and I was able to trace the deed back to at least 1804. The foundation is still in great shape, there is the remnants of an old barn, and behind the house there is still a servant's quarters. The problem is, I have not obtained permission, however, the owner of the property lives mile away. I know I know, always seek permission first, however, I was itching to get out and only went to the hug field that was in front of the house. The grass was at least 2 feet high so it was very difficult to swing. I found several modern shells, mostly 30/30, one .22, and one large caliber rifle, not sure what it is. I also managed my oldest wheat and oldest found coin so far. When I found it, I knew it was a penny and I was hoping it was my first Indian Head. It was in really bad shape, but I could see the 'erty' next to the profile, so I knew it was a Lincoln. I got it home and tried electrolysis, which I haven't used in months. Well, it worked wonders. It cleared all of the crap off and I was able to read the date: 1914. Now I know for you long-time treasure hunters, this is obsolete, however, it is my best coin so far. I forgot to take before pictures, however, I will definitely be sure to post the finished product. Hopefully I will be able to gain permission from the property owner and dig up some more keepers.

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad....the person probably doesn't care and if you can't reach 'em them,then they certainly don't care. I went to an abandoned house one and i found a silver neckless.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go over with a weedeater and do both of you a favor. He can't complain much if he can see for himself that you are actually improving the place. Good luck, sounds like a great spot

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
goldencoin said:
Don't feel bad....the person probably doesn't care and if you can't reach 'em them,then they certainly don't care. I went to an abandoned house one and i found a silver neckless.
i don,t want to make you mad or anyone else but i would ask frist, sure in my young days i went to places and did not ask. sometimes i got the cuss out and some people would let me hunt. i want to tell you i dont like the bottom of the page , your page: its not illegal if no one saw you :( that just me :)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jon43 said:
goldencoin said:
i don,t want to make you mad or anyone else but i would ask frist, sure in my young days i went to places and did not ask. sometimes i got the cuss out and some people would let me hunt. i want to tell you i dont like the bottom of the page , your page: its not illegal if no one saw you :( that just me :)

it was supposed to be funny.....but i'll change it

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
goldencoin said:
jon43 said:
goldencoin said:

it was supposed to be funny.....but i'll change it
you dont have to change it on my part. everyone has a right too there own views :) i just told you mine. i do want to say sorry if i offended you in anyway , i did not know it was supposed to be funny :)

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
I have been tempted to go in without asking, but I agree with Jon you should get permission, The worst they can do is say no, thats happend to all of us-or will at some point.. If they say no just move on there is alway someplace else. in the meantime you can try to get permission Through proper channels your county tax appraiser has the owners name on file and that is a public record

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
No "D" under the date, huh? Doggone it! Still a keeper, site shows promise- but I'd definately check with the owners of its not too much trouble. ;)

OP
OP
Kiros32

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
No "D" under the date, huh? Doggone it! Still a keeper, site shows promise- but I'd definately check with the owners of its not too much trouble. ;)

Actually Jeffro, I posted another topic. I am nearly positive that it is in fact a 1914D, however, it is still difficult to read. I am going to take it to a professional to have it cleaned and graded. Wouldn't that be something, the oldest coin that I have found so far turns out to be a valuable one? I am exicted to find out the results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread