What's new

Vietnam Vet finds.....

civilman1

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
9,388
Reaction score
1,685
Golden Thread
0
Location
PA-MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Vietnam Vet find's.....

Went back up to the 1842 log home where LTC J.J.Hoopert once resided,A few month's back I found his dog tag and some of his medal's from the war.I never met the guy but it's kind of a full circle deal,When I was around 5 or 6 the people across the street from my parent's had kid's that were in there teen's.One of the girls is a romance novelist now under the name of Joey Light.Found out from my buddy who own's the cabin that her first few novel's were written in that very cabin and he has the so called manuscript to that novel,all handwritten,and it was "kinda" revised by J.J. Hoopert.I was talking to my Mom who has some signed novels of her's told me her first novel was dedicated to J.J. Hoopert,"my mentor..my friend"..and so on.I just thought it was pretty wierd that I can relate to all this after almost 40 year's.Never knew until I was invited up to the log home by my parent's mailman(owner of the cabin).It is a small world when you find out something like this,and to find his discarded military belonging's that were lost forever......Discarded no more,they will be remebered....My mother is trying to locate "Joey Light" so I can turn over some of the belonging's from her "friend".Here's a few pic's from some of my find's today,also found a brass plate that has the word's "phillipine insurrection...1898"....NO IDEA...HH!!
 

Attachments

  • 2006_0423Image0007.webp
    2006_0423Image0007.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 605
  • 2006_0423Image0007.webp
    2006_0423Image0007.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 589
  • 2006_0504Image0001.webp
    2006_0504Image0001.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 599
  • 2006_0504Image0002.webp
    2006_0504Image0002.webp
    22 KB · Views: 586
  • 2006_0504Image0003.webp
    2006_0504Image0003.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 594
  • 2006_0504Image0004.webp
    2006_0504Image0004.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 590
Upvote 0
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Very cool finds and a great story as well! Good luck getting them back to someone who will really treasure them!
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

That's really cool civil...it is a small world.

HH!
TBGO
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Every Life Lived, Leaves Something In Its Wake, Interesting Story and Finds. trk5capt...
 

Attachments

  • guardin-rain.webp
    guardin-rain.webp
    10.7 KB · Views: 574
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Amen Capt......
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

way cool..........
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

awesome finds hope you get them to the friend

ice
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Nice finds! Good luck in your quest and HH!
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Wow, really super historical finds,congrats! The object in the second photo is quite large, what exactly is it?
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Your mom should write a letter or call Joey Light's publisher. They should be able to contact her for you.
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

The pilipine insurection most likely refers to the Fillipino-American "war" that was waged shortly after American's posesion of the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine-American_War . sorry, can't help with the plate...maybe for a picture album?

Hope this helps
-GC
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Hey Civil, great finds & awesome story! You are doing a very good thing by trying to return these items & someone will be very happy that you did. I wish you much luck in all your endeavors!
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Awesome story, great finds. Congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Jerry Joshua Hoopert died November 1 in Sharpsburg, Maryland, of cancer. He was born January 5, 1935. Hoopert served in the U.S. Army and in the Vietnam War. He retired as a Lieutenant Colonel. He was a member of Vietnam Veterans of America-Cumberland Chapter 172.

Well the name an location fit.

http://www.vva.org/TheVeteran/2003_01/taps.htm

Trying to locate: Maj J.J.(Jerry) HOOPERT
Branch of Service: Army
Unit was: IO USAADC FT BLISS, TEXAS (last knowen 1973 -)
Where served: USA, VIET NAM, GERMANY, AUSTRALIA
When served: AUSTRALIAN STAFF COLLEGE 1972
Message is: I had the pleasure of knowing Jerry when students at the Australian Staff College. Fort Queenscliffe If anyone knows of him could you get him to contact me. jhull@mortgagechoice.com.au. Thank you
Please contact: Colonel A. James Hull Rtd.
Mailing address: L 4 182 186 Blues Point Road
City, State, Zip: NORTH SYDNEY NSW AUSTRALIA 2060
Or send email to Colonel A. James Hull Rtd. using this automatic email form"

http://grunt.space.swri.edu/army096.htm
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Excellent work Jason!!!....I was told he took his own life,but I can be wrong.I,m going to follow up on the E-mail when I get a chance.Thank's again for the info,really appreciate it..Oh yea..welcome to the forum and TN..you're gong to like it here...HH!!
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

as usual...awesome finds civil!

great research too...just think, if it wasn't for people like us, they would be lost forever

hopefully there is more there for you to find!

HH
 
Re: Vietnam Vet find's.....

Really good story and great finds. Good luck!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom