New to CRH...How did I do??

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been on T-Net for years mostly sticking to Today's Finds and General Discussion but every once in awhile I will pop into CRH. Since I work Monday through Friday the wife usually does all the banking so I don't find myself in many banks. On this past Saturday my daughter was going to sell Girl Scout Cookies but we had no singles for change so I ran into the bank. Got changed then asked if they had any halves. The teller said yes so I checked my pockets and only had $10. I took one roll. While driving away I looked through it and found one 40% JFK. Now I know they were not searched.

Now as the day is going it really starts to bother me that I did not get all of the halves. I look at the time and it is noon so I have an hour before the bank closes. It also dawns on me that it is Feb 2nd and my tenant never dropped off the rent check. I go pick up the rent then drive back to the bank. Make the deposit ask how many rolls they have left and the answer is four. Walk to ATM take out the $40 then purchase the rolls. As I'm leaving the teller tells me there are more in the vault but it is locked and will not be open until Monday. Search the four new rolls while drive and find three more 40% JFKs.

When I get home I tell my wife she should go on Monday and buy whatever they have left. She looks at me sideways then just laughs. Then explains that she is not dragging three kids out in this cold weather to a bank that she will have to go into so I can get my silver fix. Not going to happen. She may have said it a little nicer but that is how it sounded to me.

Monday comes and I'm at work. I know there is no way I can make it to the bank since I work an hour away from where i live and the bank closes at 4pm. Damn bankers hours. At 3:55 I call the bank to find out how many more rolls they have in the vault. They tell me 20 more so I say hold them for me I will be in first thing in the morning. At 9am today I was at the door as they unlocked it with 200 dollars in hand. Search all of them while driving to work and turned up another 3 40% and 1 90%- all JFKs.

Although I love detecting for my silver fix this may become my winter hobby.

So my questions is how did I do?? Good, bad or average??

Final count from $250 worth of halves was: 7 40% and 1 90%

I deal with investments all the time so with a $250 investment I was able to get $40 worth of silver which is a 16% one day return.
If I could do that every day on a much larger scale I could stop working...lol.

Thank for inspiring me to get out there and CRH. I have not order any boxes yet but I'm sure I will soon.
NJ

(I'm at work and I'm sure you all know what 8 JFK halves look like so I will not be posting any pics.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really good. Most people search boxes upon boxes with nothing to show for it. Nice haul.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may pick up for you - but will eventually slow down. 8 keepers for 250 searched is WAY above average. we are happy for you.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to keep my expectations in check what would you say is average?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to keep my expectations in check what would you say is average?

If you're ordering boxes, I'd say about 1 silver per $500 box would be very close to average.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for your feedback and congrats.

I think I may have been spoiled. This is the first time I found a large amount of coin rolls but a few times over the years I've come across tellers with $5, $10, $15 in lose halves and now from what your telling me I've done very well in the past. I usually find some silver. The bank from this weekend was in the suburbs by my house but the other few times it was in some very urban areas. I'm starting to think that the urban areas may not have any CRH'ers and those lower income people maybe more likely to cash out old halves that grandma or grandpa may have been holding on to.

Thanks again
NJ

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Customer rolled ones i find are much more giving of silver than machine rolled. Just keep asking and am sure you will keep finding them, don't forget to ask if they have any "big dollars" or Eisenhower dollars, "Ikes", you may luck into some morgan or peace dollars in the mix =)

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a really good find. I am getting all of my silver from tellers and any rolls they have in the vault these days. Since November, searching a minimum of 2 boxes a week, I have gotten 1 40% silver coin from a box. But, I think my district is just in a dry spell. Also, if the few big hunt posts are true, you will have a LOT of dumps added to your region in the next month and will probably take at least half a year to cycle out. NJ seems to be getting hit real hard right now. I would suggest just doing like you did this past weekend, and hitting up tellers and asking if they have any in the vault too, and stay away from boxes for a bit. Of course, this may be totally wrong, and with all the high volume CRHing going on in NJ you guys may blow through the coin distributors supply and they may have to tap into the stacks back at the Fed and open up a really nice vein. Wow, that was a total 180 wasn't it? lol

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW When I was picking up the halves yesterday the teller said she hates getting them so I gave her my business card and wrote halves and older coins on the top. I said if she gets more to just call me and I will come pick them up. Has anyone done this before and had any success. For all I know the card went right into the garbage.

The more I read the more I think I may like CRHing.

Thanks again
NJ

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey NJ, how have you been? Welcome to the addiction! Above average results from those customer rolls, IMO. One bit of advice. Don't clue the tellers in to the difference between silver and non-silver halves. Many tellers keep the AG for themselves once they realize their value. Always just ask for all halves. You may already know that but i just want to put it out there in case you didn't. Good luck to you, MM2

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.......so with a $250 investment I was able to get $40 worth of silver which is a 16% one day return.........

Your findings were well above average, and your gain should be based on a $4 investment (not $250) since you will be getting $246 back once you cash in the halves that were not silver.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey NJ, how have you been? Welcome to the addiction! Above average results from those customer rolls, IMO. One bit of advice. Don't clue the tellers in to the difference between silver and non-silver halves. Many tellers keep the AG for themselves once they realize their value. Always just ask for all halves. You may already know that but i just want to put it out there in case you didn't. Good luck to you, MM2

Thanks for the advice. I may just stick to tracking down customer rolled halves and maybe even branch out into other customer rolled coins.

I've been well but not getting out detecting in this deep freeze. Last time out was January 21st and found a nice 1854 Trime in great shape. May try to go out this weekend with the hammer and chisel...lol. Most likely will just wait until it gets above freezing for a few days plus I'm hearing something about a big storm this weekend. Between my work and personal schedule I never know when I will have time to detect but once it warms up I would love to try to get together for a hunt. Be well.

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your findings were well above average, and your gain should be based on a $4 investment (not $250) since you will be getting $246 back once you cash in the halves that were not silver.

Thanks...I know what your saying but since I still have the $246 dollars in halves not earning any money for me it was a $250 investment. I will change that tonight when I dump them at another bank. I like to have all my money working as hard as I do at all times..lol. The $40 profit was also based on deducting my $4 actual investment from the melt value of the 8 silver coins.

Happy hunting

NJ

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I you have a good standing with your bank you could just simply trade halves for quarters for dimes for nickels that is what I did when I first started.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks...I know what your saying but since I still have the $246 dollars in halves not earning any money for me it was a $250 investment. I will change that tonight when I dump them at another bank. I like to have all my money working as hard as I do at all times..lol. The $40 profit was also based on deducting my $4 actual investment from the melt value of the 8 silver coins.

Happy hunting

NJ

It sounded like you got $10 from your pocket (not a lot of earning potential in there), $40 from a cash machine (again not earning much at all), and $200 from an unknown source which im guessing, since it was gotten so quickly, was not taken away from a big money maker.

It is a $4 investment, and one that you should thoroughly enjoy because you did well.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sounded like you got $10 from your pocket (not a lot of earning potential in there), $40 from a cash machine (again not earning much at all), and $200 from an unknown source which im guessing, since it was gotten so quickly, was not taken away from a big money maker.

It is a $4 investment, and one that you should thoroughly enjoy because you did well.

True...the interest I earn on this account is so low it might as well be zero. Although it is from my securities account so I'm just waiting for the next hot stock to make me rich...lol.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.2 silvers per box over the past 20 weeks (500 boxes) is my average, but there are a LOT of skunk boxes. Probably 70% of my boxes are skunks. But the ones that aren't often have dozens of silver halves.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Welcome back Cards! How is CRH going?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread