New to hobby which two detectors to buy?

timelab

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband and I have decided to get into metal detecting. Our son got a basic detector for Christmas and we've had so much fun helping him that we'd like to get our own. We're looking to buy two detectors in the 200-400 range. We'd like machines that we won't outgrow really quickly. We're not near the beaches and don't think we will be. Mostly we'll be hunting old farms, fields and store sights. Should we get two identical detectors or one each of different types? Thanks for your suggestions.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Timelab! In that price range, you should look at the Ace 250 or Ace 350 from Garrett. It's easy to use, has preset modes and is very lightweight. If your budget moves up to $600, look at the Garrett At Pro. It's a great machine for hunting relics, has a lot of extra features, but still easy to learn and use. You will get better depth and more target information with the At Pro.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales and Rentals | Fisher, Garrett, Minelab, Lesche and DetectorPro

OP
OP
T

timelab

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Wayne, I'm thinking maybe we should just buy one AT Pro and see if we're serious about detecting before buying a second one.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get two the same make sure they have frequencies adjust
so you can get close to each other when hunting
or buy two different detector just make sure they operate on a different frequency

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

timelab

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tip, liftloop. I hadn't even thought of that.

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Check out tesoro detectors. They make great detectors in that price range and are hard to beat for the money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread