What's new

New to site, I think I found a nice gaming stone? Need some help please

bobcat1967

Tenderfoot
Joined
Mar 12, 2013
Messages
7
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Mississippi
Primary Interest:
Other
Two weeks ago I had an incredible day hunting. I found 3 really nice points, a grinding stone or chipping hammer. And my question and what I need some help with. I think I found a game stone? It is as polished as any banner stone or celt that I've ever seen. The rock is beautiful. My pictures aren't that great. Can someone please tell me what I have found? Thanks so much.
 

Attachments

  • PIC_0001.webp
    PIC_0001.webp
    225.1 KB · Views: 139
  • PIC_0002.webp
    PIC_0002.webp
    86.3 KB · Views: 136
  • PIC_0003.webp
    PIC_0003.webp
    77.9 KB · Views: 154
  • PIC_0004.webp
    PIC_0004.webp
    77.8 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
Nice patina on those points..nice points too.
Looks like water did that...the same water that polished and put patina on that stone.
I think that's all it is.
Welcome to the site...where are you hunting? The points and patina look Georgia/N. Florida..ish.
The larger one looks like Mabey a Levey and other Mabey Bolen...what are you calling them?
 
Last edited:
The biggest and smallest point did come out of a creek. The other point, chipping hammer, and polished stone came out of the field nest to the creek. They were not in water. I would have thought that same thing if they had come from the creek.
 
Creeks turn into rivers when they flood.. they also change course over many centuries.
Pretty sure that's river patina.
B.T.W. its hammer stone you mean.
 
Thanks for the info. I was really hoping I had found something unique. The rock looks like its marble or granite maybe? I was hunting in central MS. The rocks in this small area are a little different from what is usually found there. Thanks again
 
Your welcome.. I might be wrong..I'm just looking at a photo.
 
that big red one would satisfy me....
 
I'm proud of all of them. The biggest and the smallest are the best two points. Thanks
 
nice finds congrats HH
 
That is a very nice haul!

Don't know what to say about that nice red one other than it would have gone home with me. Stuff that highly polished and symmetric likely had some purpose if it was found on a known site. Thanks for sharing, and welcome aboard!!!

Joel
 
I don't know either, but I was as excited about it as any rock I've ever found. Just because I've never seen anything like it. But, I'm not an expert, trying to learn as I go. My friend that was with me found half of a beautiful banner stone and couple nice points as well. Thank you.
 
Well it might be natural IDK. But on the other hand it could be a Mano or even if you had Dinos in your area it could be a stomach stone. I cant remember the proper name for them but they appear to be polished when you find them. They would swallow rocks I believe for their gizzard just like some animals do today. Either way it looks like a keeper and your pics just dont do it justice due to them being blurry.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom