New to the Forum/Have Questions

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
This is one interesting site!
As this is my first day here, I have lots of questions, but I didn't see any heading that said 'Damn-fool questions from newbies', so I posted here. (Moderators can move this post if necessary) I've been thinking about metal detecting for a while, so here goes:
Equipment: What are some quality metal detectors. I've heard Whites, Garrett, Tesoro and Fisher are good. Any others I should consider? I will be looking for coins and meteorites. Are any made in America?
Price: Most detector for the buck? What should I expect to pay?
Used equipment? Am I asking for trouble in buying used? I'm a technician, but have no experience in fixing metal locators. Are they 'factory repairable' only? Do manufacturers sell parts/service information?
Accessories? What do you consider essential to take along on the hunt?
Buying: Do you get your metal dectectors locally (hobby shops, sporting good stores) or mail order?
Thanks in advance for your replies and any other advice. John.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnnysan,

that is one bunch of a question. ;D :wink:

Let the answers begin...............
Read the past posts on this forum.

- you named the major ones, try staying with them.
( ;D a few folks use Minelab detectors :wink:)
- Garrett is made in the USA.
- Price is what you want to pay. Don't sell everything you
own; get the best you can afford.
- Repairs best left for factory
- Tesoro lifetime guarantee
- Other equipment needed for the hunt ;D, whatever
you can carry and feel comfortable. :D
- Nice if you have a shop around that sells them, but,
much done by mail order.
- Check if ther is any type of Club in your area; excellent
place for informantion for getting into the hobby.
- Go back over old post here and you will find
all your answers and then have 10,000 more
questions............. ;D :D :wink:

have a good un......
SHERMANVILLE

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Profanity, and just being mean to members will not be tollerated on here. We are all "Family" and a professional group of people. I know what you mean, though. I was on a few sites and now I never go back on them. I won't get into that as you know what I am talking about. It's easy to hide behind a computer in your own home and talk trash to someone you no nothing about. Not here :icon_sunny: Welcome to TNET Ron. I can't answer your questions but there are plenty who can. Good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shermanville answered your questions pretty good. Stick with the name brands and you can't do much wrong. Read all you can from the manufactures websites to find which type of hunting you want to try first as there is no one detector that excels at all types of hunting just as there is no one golf club that works for every shot.

There are some nice used detectors out there if your careful and know what to look for. I won't buy used myself because I figure if the used detector is so good, why don't they keep it for a backup or for a relative to use. It is best to buy from a local dealer where you can hold the detectors in your hands to choose the one that is right. Plus you don't have to rely on UPS to throw the box around. Sometimes mail order is the last resort. Take note that some places "offer FREE goodies" with an order of a detector. Most of this stuff is cheap or supplied free by the manufactures anyway from any dealer.

What to take with you on a hunt is up to you. You'll need a nail apron at least for holding the goodies in one side and the other pocket for junk you dig up. A screw driver or knife for popping the coins out of the ground. In the weeds or woods a small spade works well for some. It depends on what fun you want.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Got a bunch of questions for you.
Just coin hunting to start is not unusual, may not stay just a coinshooter for long!
What kind of ground you hunting in?
What type of sites you going to be hunting?

Check in over at the state forums area to get to know what your local hunters find works well for them.
Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
J

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies!
I've done a little research in the past few hours, based on your replies, and Whites seems to have good products. I'm kind of leaning towards their model 5-ID (classic). There is a company called Kellyco that has them on sale for about $300.
Does anyone have anything to say about the 5-ID or Kellyco? They have 'free' shipping, but charge for shipping the coil--I guess nothing is really free.
Any opinions, pro or con, are most welcome. Thanks. John.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Johnnysan, I have a preference for Tesoro metal detectors, but also use Fisher and Garrett.

You can't hardly go wrong with a White's metal detector.

Kellyco is among the largest of distributors, has been for a long time, and is also a Tnet sponsor!

I'm not clear about your connection between coin hunting and meteorite hunting...
Boy would I like to find a meteorite! ;D

There's tons of excellent information here on Tnet!
Welcome aboard, and hope you enjoy reviewing all the good stuff.

Good luck!
rmptr

smurf-42

Sep 22, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
Don't know nothing about White's metal detectors.

You did ask about dealing with KellyCo and that I can answer.

I ordered my sons MD through KellyCo for Christmas. They were really nice when ordering and didn't pressure me into getting another brand or upgrading within the brand I wanted. I also found out that if you call, they might have other deals being offered that they don't show on ther website. That is how I got my pinpointer for Christmas. My sons MD was broke when he opened it, I never looked at it before he did, I just wrapped it. When I called, got another nice gentleman and explained the detector and they are paying to have it shipped backed to them and they will be shipping my son another detector next week. They have been awesome working with me and there customer service is A+ in my book. Also, if you have any questions, KellyCoChick, who is a member in TNet can help you too. She has helped me with questions about my order.

Welcome to TNet!
Sue

OP
OP
J

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info about Kellyco; it's good to hear that they're a reputable company. I won't go into the morbid details, but I've had a few dealings with less-than-stellar companies that think 'customer service' is taking your credit card number and hanging up (NOT metal detector retailers).
I think I'll place an order on Monday; that 5-ID sure looks nice.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
WHITES WHITES WHITES . i have a dfx 300 with the 300 dfx coil that is a little pricey but whites does have some good machines that are able to be bought on a budget. lesche is a wonderful dig tool fiskars makes one also ,and a garrett pro pointer pin pointer would be a good investment . the best place to start for research is the reference section of your local library ,old newspapers,and talk to older folks that can give you history of old fair grounds, tent revivals, circus spots,social gathering spots and at the court house for maps and owner information.and remember ALWAYS get permission and even better get it in writing trust me.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
IMO, If budget is not a problem , buy new. However, if you become addicted to this hobby as many do, more than likely you will soon want to upgrade. One option, buy used and spend the savings on other items you are going to need. Make sure there is not a quality shop within driving distance. I found one that takes about a 45 minute drive each way but worth it. They stock all the brands you listed plus minelab and prices are as good or better than anywhere on the net. Good Luck and keep us posted!

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
I bought a used whites mxt last year at a pawn shop, it was in like new condition & has worked fine. For my first year I found over 1500 coins and several rings, along with some good relics. At first I was looking at the ace 250 but got the chance to try a mxt that a friend had. I'm glad I bought the mxt it is easy to use and is a overall good machine. I would not hesitate to buy a used machine and there are several in the classified adds here on Tnet. Sometimes people buy a machine thinking they are going to use it all of the time then find that they just don't have the time or that it just is not their thing.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonnysan, Welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting ! This forum is top flight and

the guys and gals who make up this extended family , have so much experience and knowledge

collectively , that I am confident that you'll be swinging with the best of them in no time . I too

am a newbie ( 2 years now) - and these folks have helped me immeasurably. Argentium.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard Whites, Garrett, Tesoro and Fisher are good. Any others I should consider? I will be looking for coins and meteorites. Are any made in America?

Minelab is also something to consider.
Though I think some detectors will have a problem with finding coins and meteorites as some would simply say their mineralized rock...
So an "all round" detector like the DFX, Explorer would not be suitable I think, I see some use prospecting machines to find meteorites; but I don't think I've ever seen one use a coin/jewellery/relic machine. ???

Garrett and White's are made in the states I think.

Price: Most detector for the buck? What should I expect to pay?

With the combination of meteorites and coins I think you'd be looking for 2 detectors, mind you no detector is a magic wand and does it all equally well. :thumbsup:

For general hunting I'd say the Explorer, E-trac are a great bang for the buck.
For meteorites many like the minelab prospecting series.. (I.e. GPX 4000)

If you can't buy that either used or new look for a unit that has TRUE all metal mode at least then you might have a chance.

Used equipment? Am I asking for trouble in buying used? I'm a technician, but have no experience in fixing metal locators. Are they 'factory repairable' only? Do manufacturers sell parts/service information?

No it is possible to buy used without any trouble, been there done that. But be vary that some might try to fool you.
Most are better to let the factory handle it since you say you have no experience with this field.
That depends on what kind of parts your looking for, i.e. washers and similar smaller parts are often available though electronic components probably not.

Accessories? What do you consider essential to take along on the hunt?
Diggers,
some thing to put dirt on when digging (I use a plastic bag),
something to put your tools and finds in (no need to carry them then i.e. carpenters belt),
pinpointer,
headphones,
also good to bring water and a watch to keep track of time... ;D

Buying: Do you get your metal detectors locally (hobby shops, sporting good stores) or mail order?

Depends on what your after.. Often do local dealers worry more about service since their reputation can improve if you talk highly of them but you might have to pay a bit more for this. So that question can only you answer; do you prefer service or a cheap price?

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Johnnysan said:
Thanks for the replies!
I've done a little research in the past few hours, based on your replies, and Whites seems to have good products. I'm kind of leaning towards their model 5-ID (classic). There is a company called Kellyco that has them on sale for about $300.
Does anyone have anything to say about the 5-ID or Kellyco? They have 'free' shipping, but charge for shipping the coil--I guess nothing is really free.

WAIT I own a classic 5-ID and I absoulty love that detector it is light weight and goes resonable deep, I have had alot of detectors.

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm a newb, too, and would like to add my questions to these. Don't mean to hijack the post, but figured we're all in the same place for newb questions, so why not ask?

Olepossum said: a garrett pro pointer pin pointer would be a good investment.

Is this something everyone needs, or if I'm running a machine with pinpointing feature, is that all I need?

Thanks for any advice.

Wildheart

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wildheart said:
I'm a newb, too, and would like to add my questions to these. Don't mean to hijack the post, but figured we're all in the same place for newb questions, so why not ask?

Is this something everyone needs, or if I'm running a machine with pinpointing feature, is that all I need?

Thanks for any advice.

Wildheart
Well that depends I think that a pinpointer helps ALOT and esp. if you have never done alot of detecting it helps me so I dont have to dig more than i have to. Now if you get a sunray probe one that mounts on your detector you will never need a hand held probe again. But thats another story, Never owned a garret but here they are the new heat, I have always had teh bullseye 2 made by whites and the sunrays. Hope this helps

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the 5-id is a good machine after white canceled the classic line kellyco ask whites to build this for them, but it runs at a little higher frequency that the standard classics[6.59KHz] it runs on the prizms 8.? frequency. one draw back has been that only a 8 and 9.5 in. coils have been available, whites is testing a smaller coil for them now from what ive read. and believe the 5id could be modified down the road like the classics di,idx idx pro and classic III, a great machine to start with and they pinpoit very well

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnnysan said:
Thanks for the replies!

I bought me a last minute Christmas special at Kellyco online...a few days before, got it here on the Monday following Christmas.

Got a Garrett Ace 250 plus accessories package, headphones (no volume adjustment) with FREE shipping & handling...for a total of $212.45

Air testing, the Ace 250 seems to be better than the old Garrett GTA 1000...especially when using discrimination, much less depth loss, was due probably to filter stacking on the older machines. The volume was too much, so plugged in my Accusound headphones...adjusted the sound to a much lower level. Like the new 3 tone level id.

But then it couldn't detect a flat .4 grain test nugget, that's what my Fisher Gold Bug-2 is for...other than hunting for tiny gold nuggets, Ace 250 is a great machine! :thumbsup:

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
wildheart said:

Thanks for any advice.

Wildheart

Hand held pinpointers really help speed up the target recovery. I found Tiny-tec is a great pinpointer and they start around $40.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions