New to the site and sport..need some advice

jose159

Jul 15, 2021
SW Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greeting ladies and Gents! I'm getting close to retirement and am ready to take the metal detecting plunge. I do need some advice on a detector. I plan on detecting old turn of the century logging camps, old abandon homesteads, some nearby parks and an occasional trip to the beach. I have some experience at work using a Fisher m-66 for utility curb boxes and manholes. I plan on spending between $500 to $700 for a detector. From the research I have done I have narrowed my choices down to The Minelab Vanquish 540 or Equinox 600 , Garrett AT pro, or Teknetics Omega 8500. Any advice or other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the Equinox. It is a more advanced detector than the Vanquish and has variable frequency which the Omega and AT Pro do not. That means it will handle salt water and salt water beaches which these detectors and many others cannot.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T Net!

Sandcrab

Jun 14, 2021
Oceanside CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Coiltek 10x5 and 15, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and Tnet.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where you are hunting you are going to need a few other things. For land, a good pinpointer and digger. For beaches a good sand scoop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions