new to the treasure hunting world

losttribe1220

Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone , my name is Gary , I am 45 yrs old and live in connecticut . I have always been a huge history buff and am addicted to the 1800 early 1900s , here in ct we have a lot of history good and bad , several armies fought here , lots of native Americans lived here , and many pioneers of industry were born and worked here. I have always wanted to treasure hunt , mostly I am interested in old coins , militaria. I am getting ready to purchase my 1st metal detector. I have read much on the community of treasure hunters , and it seems lots of folks don't take kindly to folks with metal detectors rummaging through the ground. I want to ask you nice folks for some friendly advice on what to do , what not to do as I start my journey into this world of treasure hunting. What is the best metal detector to buy for the beginner? Are there places that are better to start off at than others? What are the laws I should be most concerned about ? I just need some advice from the veterans before I start off doing this , the last thing I would want to do is tarnish the reputation of the people who have been doing this their whole lives , by breaking the law .... I have read most of the laws concerning where you can and cannot treasure hunt with a metal detector in CT , but some of them are extremely confusing . I am just looking for some friendly pointers for a beginner I guess , Happy to be in the forum , please post with your thoughts ...

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I spent some time in New Haven many years ago. Beautiful place with all the old architecture.
I havent done much metal detecting, so I can't help you there.

OP
OP
L

losttribe1220

Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you baglady , just realized the forum has a welcome new member post , should have put it there , lol , yes CT is very nice , i am in middlebury , about 25 min west of new haven .

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard , tip #1- always leave the grounds you hunt in better condition then when you arrived :icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! :occasion14: Depending on where you are in Connecticut, I have a spare machine and would enjoy getting together before you decide what to buy. There are so many different choices, most of them great!

OP
OP
L

losttribe1220

Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reply to tom

Thanks Tom , Will Do .thanks for the reply

OP
OP
L

losttribe1220

Mar 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry ,thank you so much for the offer , white plains is like 1hr , 20 min from me , I actually have a lot of my family there , so when I got some time here soon , I would love to take you up on it . You really look like you have been doing this for a very long time , where did u find all that gold?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of the gold nuggets in Arizona. I'll PM you my telephone number.

captbo

Jan 1, 2015
Calvert Co Md / Atlantic NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800.Garrett AT Pro,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Garrett Ace 250
Deteknix X pointer
Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the shores of the Chesapeake !

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Mass. Ct has many great areas to detect--lots of history there--I have family all over there--and with lots of history comes lots of trash so a little piece of advise you have to dig a lot of trash but it is worth it. Don't get discouraged-just keep at it you will eventually get your coil over those old coins and relics.. good luck and happy hunting

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby! I'm from northeast Ct. I've been hunting for the better part of twenty years now. My two cents worth would be: 1- gain permission to hunt private property. They can be great places if not hunted to hard. 2- don't hunt any properties of the Army Corp of Engineers. Pretty much off limits. I believe there is a club near your area. Good luck to you!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread