New To Tres. Hunting Looking For Help In Deciding On A Detector

Kabal

Mar 22, 2009
Hello All,

As stated above I am new to the forums and to metal detecting. I have been trying to decide which metal detector i should buy. I have read a bunch of different reviews but, it seems like everyone seems to think that one is the best. So, it does not really seem the reviews are very objective. Or, maybe that particular metal detector is the best for what they want it to do. I have attempted to email a treasure hunting store looking for a little advise but got no response. I attempted to look up detecting society's/clubs to see if i could get some advise and came to find that none of them had an email address readily available. So, i turn to these forums to see what kind of advise i can get. No offense to anyone, but i am looking for qualified and detailed opinions that will be useful in helping make a purchase. the reason i ask for a good solid detailed opinions is that i will only be able to purchase one and its going to have to last for some time. i cannot afford to make multiple purchases. so, well thought out, qualified opinions only please.
So, i guess i should give an idea as to where and what i want to use a metal detector for, thinking that information is pertinent. I live in Up State New York and am looking to get into treasure hunting / cache hunting. The thought is to be looking mainly for old coin/gold/silver i do enjoy the research that goes into deciding a hunting location. I DO NOT see my self going down to the local beach and finding things that others have dropped a few days before. I can see the enjoyment of it but, as i said i enjoy the history and research so, i just dont think the beach will be for me. Seeing, as i am looking for things that have been buried in the past I'm assuming I'm going to need something thing that is capable of reaching some good depths. I understand that some time is going to have to be spent learning the proper and good use of the instrument and that is fine. Seeing as i can only afford this purchase once i would like to buy the best i can with the money i have to spend. Speaking of money i am looking to spend between $300.00 to $1200.00.
If i have left out any pertinent information let me know and ill try to answer any questions regarding what information i have left out. any information anyone can pass along regarding treasure hunting and how to get started off on a good foot is greatly appreciated as well because at this point i am kind of at a loss seeing as there is so much information and all claim to be the best.

thank you

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
There are several detectors to meet these needs as I am sure that you are aware. Also a consideration is do you want a screen to view or not. Tony at TC Metal Detectors is very helpfull and sells many brands. He has a website and he is very helpfull. Good luck.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well since you say that you are: " ......... looking to get into treasure hunting / cache hunting. " then you need a 2-box detector. There are various types and models, all of which are basically the same: they won't find anything smaller than a soda can or toaster sized object. So you won't find individual coins, only "treasures and caches". I'm sure they're lurking everywhere, so you'll not be bored :)

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
well there are many opinions out there, you will have to decide how much you are going to spend, lots of good machines out there, many are personal preferences through past exp. with what is important to the individual, soil conditions, what you are searching for. Ive always looked for the most bang for my buck.
i relic hunt, and do some coin hunting. my big thing was handling my ground, and a good iron disc, with a fast target recovery speed. hence my Teknetics t-2 which is related to the fisher f-75,f-70 they are light, fast and have good depth, other good machines are the whites Mxt, minelab xt-70, there are many others, its up to you to go over peoples reviews and make your choice, you have to look at the reviews with your own filters to pick through it all. wish you luck and its a great hobby, and has really peaked my intrest in history

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kabal,
I would suggest you call our newest sponsor, KellyCo Metal Detectors, for starters. That's why they came on-board. There are many people here, myself included, who will tell you what's best. KellyCo's website and staff are in the business of setting you up with a look at more than anyone here can describe. THEN add the opinions found here. No offense to anyone here for comments made about certain MD's but we ALL own the best for OUR purposses and price range. Welcome aboard! TTC

OP
OP
K

Kabal

Mar 22, 2009
thank you all, i think you all have some good points for me to consider. i do appereciate the points of view,information, and quick responses.

thank you

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The detectors Thompy mentioned are good. If you want the best depth, a larger coil is preferred, except they will be useless in a very trashy location.

Kellyco sells some detectors that aren't so great, along with all the good ones. Who you talk to there might be the factor as to if you're satisfied. On another forum, they thought JW (John White) was a good person there to help decide.

You may have a nearby dealer for 1 to several brands. You can find out who/where by visiting mfrs websites www.whiteselectronics.com www.fisherlab.com www.detecting.com www.minelab.com www.tesoro.com www.garrett.com they tell features ,prices, nearest dealer & may have field tests.

You can read professional Field tests at www.losttreasure.com & amateur reviews can be found at the site http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

There is a site that allows no mfrs or dealers ads, that has a bunch of engineers, field testers and other long-time detectorists http://members5.boardhost.com/MetalDetecting/

Your budget allows you the choice of 1 $1,200 detector, 2 $600 detectors, or 3 $400 detectors. You also have to decide if you want new or used, if you want larger than stock coils for max depth & smaller than stock coils for places where not so deep old coins are normally masked by trash.

If you're in or near a metro area, there's probably a club there. Most are listed on this site. Hope this has been of some help. HH, George (MN)

OP
OP
K

Kabal

Mar 22, 2009
thank you george. i will be looking into the links you have provided as a resource for further information. i have been reading the keelyco site and doing review searches. seems there is alot of mixed feelings with the garrett gti 2500. i think i am going to be going for depth (thus looking at 2 box units) as my main goals will be the treasure/cache hunt. thank you again for the information.

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought from Kellyco a fisher F - 70 so far im very happy with it very light to swing uses only 4 AA batteries for about 40 hours detecting time ...

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go used until you master the hobby. Usually Whites and Garrett are good ones to start with, easy to learn etc.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may seriously think of a midrange detector and pick up one of those huge coils for max depth. From some of the posts I've read over time, some of those 15" coils will hit 24" on larger objects fairly easy.
A cache is going to be a larger object. Caches probably aren't going to be much deeper than that, I wouldn't think...for easy digging back up by whomever burried it in the first place.

My first detector was a midprice TR back in 1980 and it would go 12" on a burried beer can with the standard coil.

I suggest this an an option incase you get frustrated searching for caches and decide you want to coinshoot for a change. You won't have that option with a 2 box detector and you can always buy a smaller coil to add to your hunting arsenal. If you decide to hunt in some woods for a cache, a 2 box might be hard to swing around. Some of the old house foundations I hunt are pretty overgrown now with dense weeds and trees.

Al

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rather than suggest specific models, I'll throw out what I think the machine you choose should have. First and foremost, either a manual or true automatic ground balance. A true all-metal mode and a good selection of different coils. At least one larger than the stock and one smaller one for trashy areas. Target ID (display) is nice, but machines that have it will detect and give an audible signal considerably deeper than the display will handle and if you're really looking for older coins, caches etc. you're probably going to dig pretty much everything so you really don't need it. I happen to like a machine with an audible threshold hum while hunting as deep. barely detectable targets often give just a slight bump in the tone, rather than a solid, no doubt about it, signal. Also, a detector with a quick response/retune makes pinpointing and nosing out goodies mixed in with trash much easier than a sluggish machine. All the major manufacturers have machines in their lines that fit the criteria I mention and I'm sure you'll get plenty of specific suggestions. When the time comes to buy, pick a solid machine that you can afford to add additional coils and be sure to purchase decent headphoness. Other than that, jump in and have fun.
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread