New update Southren California Field Test of the Minelab/Garrett/Whites

Bebop

Jul 14, 2006
Thompson UT.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100/Explorer XS/ Garrett GTI-1500/GTA-1000/Grand Master Hunyer III/White Goldmaster II
New update Southren California Field Test of the Minelab/Garrett/White's

Here is a new update to my field test. I got a Sun Ray Stealth X-5 for my Explorer XS and here is the result, ten cent piece at 6" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 5" deep, and the 7 grains gold coin at 4" deep. With this coil I could run the power all the way up to 32 with very little false signals but for the test I ran the power at 25 so there were no false signals, Iron mask set to 0" and the discrimination is blackout from the far left to the mid way as far as the zero iron mask go to, and from top to bottom.
Code:
Field test, of the Minelab detectors. Explorer XS and a SD2100 and the Garrett detectors, GTI 1500 and GTA 1000, and the Whites detector, Goldmaster II. This test will be done in southern CA. at Daggett CA. I will dig a hole that is about 5" OD. and as deep as the detector can detect the target. As doing a normal search method, the coil being swept about 1" to 2" above the ground and getting a fair to a good target signal. After placing the target in the hole I will bury it to more simulate natural conditions. With larger coins the detectors will go deeper. But this is a test, of some of the smaller target. The target will be a 1905 USA silver ten cent piece, 17.9mm, OD. and 2.50 grams in weight, and a home made gold coin at least 90% pure gold, that represent a USA 1 dollar gold coin, 13mm OD. and 25 grains in weight. and a 24kt. gold coin, 10mm OD. and 7 grains in weight, and a piece of gold 0.9 grain in weight. See photo of the hole and test coins.
Code:
Testing the Minelab Explorer XS. I pressed and held the power button until the factory presets setting is return. Then I set the Audio volume, (Max limit at 10) (gain at 10) Tone, (Th tone at 5) (Variability at10) (Limits at10) Sounds set to (Conduct) Options (Noise set to 5) (Response to audio 1) (Recover set to Fast and Deep) Sensitivity set to manual, and the power set to 25 were there is, very little false signals Iron mask set to 0" and the discrimination is blackout from the far left to the mid way as far as the zero iron mask go to, and from top to bottom.
Code:
Testing the 18" Excelerator E coil for the Explorer XS, Target result are, ten cent piece at 7" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 6" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 5" deep.
Code:
Testing the 14" Excelerator II coil for the Explorer XS, Target result are, ten cent piece at 9" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 8" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 7" deep.
Code:
Testing the 10.5" Factory DD coil for the Explorer XS, Target result are, ten cent piece at 9" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 8" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 7" deep.
Code:
Testing the 8" Explorer FBS coil for the Explorer XS, Target result are, ten cent piece at 7" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 6" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 5" deep.
Code:
Testing the 5" Excelerator E coil for the Explorer XS, I had to lower the sensitivity to power # 7 to stop all of the false signals. Target result are, ten cent piece at 4" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 3.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 3.5" deep. Then I blackout or added discrimination on the # 16,17,18,19, little squares on the the far right and up from the bottom on the LCD. Then I could increase the sensitivity up to power # 15, with out having false signals. Target result are, ten cent piece at 4.5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 4.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 4.5" deep. The discrimination is blackout from the far left to the mid way as far as the zero iron mask go to, and from top to bottom, and that little bit on the far right, squares # 16,17,18,19 up from the bottom.
Code:
Testing the Minelab SD-2100, the detector was set to factory setting, and I used a Gold Rush Depth Master audio amplifier to increase the target signal.
Code:
Testing the 18" Factory coil for the SD-2100, Target result are, ten cent piece at 11.5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 7.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 6.5" deep.
Code:
Testing the 11" DD Factory coil for the SD-2100, Target result are, ten cent piece at 9" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 7.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 6.5" deep.
Code:
Testing the 8" Factory coil for the SD-2100, Target result are, ten cent piece at 9.5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 8" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 7.5" deep.
Code:
Testing the Garrett GTI 1500, The setting were set to, Sensitivity, set to 11, Search modes, set to Zero. The rest was set to factory setting.
Code:
Test the Garrett 14"x10" Power DD coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 6.5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 4.5" deep.
Code:
Test the Garrett factory 9.5 imaging Scorcher coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 4" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 2.5" deep.
Code:
Test the Garrett scorcher 5"x10" elliptical. coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 4" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 3.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 2.5" deep.
Code:
Test the Garrett scorcher 4.5" coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 3" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 2.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 2.5" deep.
Code:
Testing the Garrett GTA 1000, The setting were set to, Sensitivity, set to 11, Search modes, set to Zero or all metal mode, and the Audio Boost was on. The rest was set to factory setting.
Code:
Test the 10.5" Hot Head coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 3.5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 3" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 2.5" deep.
Code:
Test the Garrett factory Crossfire 8" coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 4" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 3.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 3" deep.
Code:
Test the Garrett Crossfire 5"x10" elliptical. coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 4" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 3.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 3" deep.
Code:
Test the Garrett Crossfire 3"x7" elliptical. coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 3.5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 3" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 3" deep.
Code:
Test the Garrett Crossfire 4.5" coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 3.5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 3" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 2.5" deep.
Code:
Testing the White's GoldMaster II, The GEB Coarse control knob set to # 7.75 and the GEB Fine control knob set to # 5.75 and the Fine Fine control knob set to # 12.5 and the Mode Control set to non-motion mode, and Sens Control set to # 8,
Code:
Using the factory 5.5"x10" coil, Target result are, ten cent piece at 5" deep, and the 25 grains gold coin at 4.5" deep. and the 7 grains gold coin at 4" deep. and the 0.9 grain piece of gold at the surface.

Attachments

• Test coins.JPG
    Test coins.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 3,322
  • Test hole and USA silver ten cents piece  at 9 inchs deep.JPG
    Test hole and USA silver ten cents piece at 9 inchs deep.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 3,350
Re: Southren California Field Test of the Minelab/Garrett/White's Detectors and Coil

What were the results? Please keep it short! I have a short attention span. Thanks.

Re: Southren California Field Test of the Minelab/Garrett/White's Detectors and Coil

Read the topic for the results.

Interesting test, but inconclusive. Does not take into consideration ground moisture, sweep speed, gain settings, head phone quality, operator hearing and skill. An what color socks your wearing at the time. But it is interesting reading.

HH,
Sandman

Jeez Bebop...
You stated it was just a test...you weren't trying to sell anything or any one detector.
You stated what machines and coils that were used and how each were used in your test...
and posted your results..........that's pretty conclusive to me.
I'm sure you learned something from it, just as I.
Good job and interesting...I love those tests.
Thanks.

I don't really care about the color of your socks...wind direction, size or angle of the grains of sand, whether they had a chelated iron molecule attached to them, whether they received adequate moisture in the last 2 weeks, or were they hydrophobic at the time of the test.

I understand what you tried to do and you did it well enough for even me to understand...
Some apparently didn't get it:o that's the part I don't understand. ;D ;D :D
Nice job Behop.

Trez

Sandman- you just don't think its possible to compare anything do you. Who cares about moisture content as long as they are all tested in the same soil? This isn't any national geographic funded research here, just a general comparrison. I think that it's safe to assume the sweep speed was close enough to the same, I think that it's safe to assume that one person running the test would have the same operator skill and hearing for all the models.. I would like to see more models tested- I think this is helpful information and am glad to have it. The only problem would be the color of the socks ;D

as long as the tests are done By "Owners" !

and not the Dealers, Manufacturers or their hand picked "Field Testers"

I have to believe the tests are done with an open mind.

And Fairly Accurate.

Thanks Bebop

Here is my socks, and I am just a jo blow, nothing to sell.

Attachments

• IMG_3461.JPG
    IMG_3461.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 3,100

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Way to go Behop. ;)

Re: Southren California Field Test of the Minelab/Garrett/White's Detectors and

Thanks for the test info, very informative. Though any head to head comparison isn't going to be perfect, I think I got all I needed to know out of this one.

I'm pretty bummed out that my Explorer XS is broken right now. :'(

Put the results into a Table Format that is easier to compare. The data should be unchanged.

john

Attachments

• Detector Results.JPG
    Detector Results.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 4,290

Look's GOOOOOD!!!

To make this conclusive in my mind, I need 3 more bits of info that I hope you took into account.

What direction was the wind?
Was your tongue in or out?
And lastly
What was the terminal velocity of your average barn swallow at the time of these tests?

You did a great job on the tests and the results work for me.
WTG!! HH

rvbvetter said:
To make this conclusive in my mind, I need 3 more bits of info that I hope you took into account.

What direction was the wind?
Was your tongue in or out?
And lastly
What was the terminal velocity of your average barn swallow at the time of these tests?

You did a great job on the tests and the results work for me.
WTG!! HH

LOL! ;D GREAT! I finally found someone else with my brand of sarcasm! ;D

Well done!

The wind was blowing out! My tongue was flopping around, my barn swallow were at a crawl! When I get the time I will try to put my topice in a cell forum.

Re: New update Southren California Field Test of the Minelab/Garrett/White's

LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE LIKE'S THE EXPLORER. I LIKE GARRETT BUT I WOULD NEVER SAY IT IS THE BEST.
JUST MY THOUGHTS.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back