New Years Day

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I went back to my parents house on New Years Day and hit the back yard again where the old tavern used to be. This was the best day I have had for coins. The first half hour that I was out there I dug an 1852 Large Cent...now the oldest that I have found to date. I also dug a 1935 Wheat Penny, 1974 Jefferson, 1919 Buffalo, 1901 V Nickle and an 1897 V Nickle, 3 small rings (no markings), cheap piece of jewelry and a 22 casing. The 1901 is in pretty bad shape but the 1897 looks pretty good. Its amazing that the finds are literally in my own back yard. I have hunted this site 3 times and the total is:

1852 Large cent
1 Indial Head
3 Wheats
3 V Nickles
1 Buffalo
Jefferson
(the dates range from 1852 to 1974)

I still think that there is a lot to be found. The property line goes back about 10 feet further than I have searched, so that will be my next target area. Then hopefully I can get permission from the adjoining property owners to hunt there too.

The large cent has a gold speck on the reverse directly below the "T" in CENT. Does anyone know if there was a purpose behind this. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Frt.all.finds.jpg
    Frt.all.finds.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 299
  • Reverse all.JPG
    Reverse all.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 302
  • frt.lrg.cent.jpg
    frt.lrg.cent.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 291
  • Rev.lrg.cent.jpg
    Rev.lrg.cent.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 295
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daniel in NC

Dec 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
lordmarcovan said:
Excellent!

Those nickels, particularly the Buffalo, look to be in exceptional quality for ground finds.

You can bet I'd be camping out on any site that produced a large cent!? I've only found three in many years of hunting.

I have a suggestion re. night hunting, if you're gonna do more of it- get yourself a headlamp with an elastic headband- I have a very bright one with a focusable beam- my wife got it for me outta some camping supply catalog- REI, I think.? It's indispensible for hands-free night hunting.? I do more night hunting than day hunting, because of my schedule.? (Also because summers here are too hot to hunt by day).?

Another thing that makes night (or day!) hunting a lot easier is a handheld pinpointer probe- I use a Tinytec.

You're so lucky to have a little hotspot, there.? I'm out of hotspots at the moment.? Gotta find some more.

Thanks...I will probably have to do a lot more night hunting becasue of my schedule too...its no so bad though.

I use a Whites pinpointer that came free with my detector...it is really indispensable. Its such a good feeling to probe the dirt with the pinpointer and get the vibration...even better feeling when there is a nice coin on the end.

lordmarcovan

Jan 3, 2006
Golden Isles Of Georgia
Detector(s) used
Many models over the years, mostly Garretts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you've already got the probe, then just get a headlamp, and you're all set.

Mind you, friends holding lanterns are good, too, but the last time I took a friend on a night hunt, HE was the one finding a large cent, in an area I'd already hunted.

Maybe I should've gotten a lantern, and made him hold it. :P

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS!! Nice Finds!! Good luck!! HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions