newbie and full of questions

diggin bubba

Greenie
May 22, 2010
west virginia
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Being new to the hobby of gem hunting I find myself full of questions as to how and what to do. :icon_scratch: I have gathered up some nice stones (i think) of all different types. I have a amethyst stone I would like to keep in its rough form but would like the shine (wet look) like a smooth polished stone has. I would also like to drill a hole through it if that is possible. ???

thanks for your help

diggin bubba

sorry for no pics, looking for usb port to my camera to upload my photo's

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not being a rock collector myself I can only suggest you find some fine gem books online for pointers as How to and the drilling.

Upvote 0

Ozzygold

Jan 9, 2008
Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites PI Surf
If you can access a pedestal drill you'll need to buy a diamond drill bit, plenty at gem shops or ebay, then make sure your gem is under water as you drill, you must not use pressure, just enough for the drill bit to do it's job, I use a container with some wood in it then place the stone under the drill bit and away I go, but remember easy does it else you'll break the bit or the stone.The only way you may be able to get a shine on your rough is to dip it into liquid glass or whatever you call it over there, it's a two part mix that when cured is very glossy and may solve your problem...Make sure the amethyst is thouroughly clean before you do this, isopropol alcohol is what I'd use.

Upvote 0

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
guys I am also new to this but I seen this on youtube.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlDQvgM4pKM[/youtube]

lets you break up rock without explosive.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread