Newbie, but technical question about detector:

P

PlanetExpress

I'm looking to buy one detector to use in 2 ways. Can anyone let me know if this is possible??

I'm looking for a unit I can use to comb the beach and surf (salt water rejection I think?). I'd like it to be good for silver and gold, so from what I read, this means that I need a higher or adjustable frequency, correct?

I'd also like to be able to use the *coil* underwater, but the electronics don't have to be submersible.

Is there such a detector made??

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go in the surf, I strongly recommend a fully waterproof detector. It is easy to splash salt water on the housing. The frequency is not a big issue. What is an issue, is a detector that can handle the conductive salt water. There are a few VLFs that can do this... Minelab Excalibur and Fisher CZ-20 come to mind... I was not impressed with the DFX in salt water. Most salt hunters use PI detectors, but they have no discrimination.

- Carl

OP
OP
P

PlanetExpress

Good advice, Carl. I woke up this morning thinking the same thing. I mean.. say I was out doing surf detection and found something. To dig it up, I'd have to put the detector back on shore and get into the water to dig. Not an ideal setup. Plus... I did want to dive with it once I got a little better at using the equipment.

Question: I read somewhere that underwater detectors have trouble detecting on beaches and land. Is that true?

I would love to have one that works well on land that I can also dive with.

Will the Minelab or Fisher be suited for that dual use?

Thanks!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course you can use water detectors on the dry beach or even on grass, however they are just heavier and some don't have a pinpoint which is not really needed at a beach. You can use a land detector in the salt water if it has a salt water mode and also is hip-mountable. The ideal is a fully waterproof water detector like the Excal, CZ20, Tiger Shark, or Beach Hunter. These are excellent detectors for beaches as they have great discrimination.

In units like the DFX with the electronics on the handle, you can submerge the coil which you'll have to hold down cause it wants to float. Get a wave wrong and the detector is shot. Also, many units like this have fried when water in the shaft traveled into the electronics. NOT worth the trouble. Get two detectors for best results. Sorta like having two wife's, a blonde and a brunette. One for show and one for brain work. LOL

HH,
Sandman

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ-20 will be hard to get soon, it is discontinued. Right now I would say The Tiger Shark fits your requirements good. For the price it is the one I would buy.

Ed D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread