Linsey

Greenie
May 13, 2014
NORTHEAST PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today was the first day I was able to get out and try my new Garrett ace 350 that my wonderful husband got me for my birthday. I have wanted a Metal detector for years, but we couldn't afford one. So we decided to detect near an old stone wall we have on our property that was on the edge of an old field. It hasn't been used as a field for probably 100years. I found the expected shotgun shells, pull tabs, and 22 casing at first. But within an hour of being out I found a cash of coins! Two shield nickels (one 1867, one in rough shape), a two cent piece ( 1866) and an Indian head penny (18-9)!! So exciting! Two of them were about a foot deep! There were more signals there, we just ran out of time. Definitely going back soon (: I never thought I would find coins my first time out!!

Attachments

• image-2409996818.jpg
    image-2409996818.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 137
  • image-1067017930.jpg
    image-1067017930.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Upvote 26

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1930s penny in my yard first time out and tons of pull tabs great finds!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! You not only skipped clad/modern coins you bypassed the entire 20th century as well. Now you have to shoot for a 1700s coins.

OP
OP
Linsey

Linsey

Greenie
May 13, 2014
NORTHEAST PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!!!

I was hooked before I even got my detector. There is something about being the first person to touch an item in years is so cool to me. Like when I found these coins, I was thinking, the last time these were in a pocket together was 100 years ago...... Now the only thing I can think about when I'm daydreaming is how they got spilled there in the first place. What happened to him/her that made the coins fall.... The effect their spill had on the guy/gal...... I would have been detecting years ago if I could have afforded a good MD.

In my search to figure out the year of the penny I saw that it was a '59 and only made that year. The tens place was scratched and I couldn't tell what it was. If it wasn't a '59 I'd still not know the year. Totally made my day (: I'm not sure I'd find 1700's where I live ..... That would be AMAZING though!!

Tin Foil

Jun 10, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ATP, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! What an amazing start! Great post, can't wait for your next. -Tin Foil

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all!!!

I was hooked before I even got my detector. There is something about being the first person to touch an item in years is so cool to me. Like when I found these coins, I was thinking, the last time these were in a pocket together was 100 years ago...... Now the only thing I can think about when I'm daydreaming is how they got spilled there in the first place. What happened to him/her that made the coins fall.... The effect their spill had on the guy/gal...... I would have been detecting years ago if I could have afforded a good MD.

In my search to figure out the year of the penny I saw that it was a '59 and only made that year. The tens place was scratched and I couldn't tell what it was. If it wasn't a '59 I'd still not know the year. Totally made my day (: I'm not sure I'd find 1700's where I live ..... That would be AMAZING though!!

Linsey, Let me assure you there are thousands of 1700s coins in NE PA. I have found hundreds of them in SW PA which was settled a lot later.

OP
OP
Linsey

Linsey

Greenie
May 13, 2014
NORTHEAST PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Linsey, Let me assure you there are thousands of 1700s coins in NE PA. I have found hundreds of them in SW PA which was settled a lot later.

How exciting! I would love to find something from the 1700! Need to scout out some locations. My husband and I own a small logging company, and he finds very old stone foundations in the middle of the woods all the time. I can't wait to get out there and detect some of those places! Thanks Steve in PA!

gearnoggin

Feb 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awsome first finds! My oldest coin so far after detecting for about 8 months is a 1911 wheat penny in rough shape.

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a first hunt, and so successful, congratulations, and you didn't even have to leave home to do it! Keep us posted on your next trip to the "wall":icon_thumleft:

saralo123

Greenie
May 8, 2014
Orangeville Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites coinmaster GT, garrett pin pointer, prism dd 4x6 coil.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congratulations. Awesome first finds. I wish my first finds were that old. Keep on digging. I'm jealous....lol

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's great that you had such an outstanding day on your first hunt. Some folks go a lifetime with ever finding a cache of old coins, and you get it done on Day 1. Congrats, and get back out there and dig the rest of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread