Newbie looking to learn anything/everything to do with Rocks/Gems/Minerals!

Aug 1, 2023
Hello! I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas and I've recently started diving into the world of crystal/mineral collecting! I've only just scratched the surface of this topic/hobby, so I'm hoping to learn a lot as I go! I am just curious if anyone else lives in the same state, where you typically go on a weekend to hunt for things, what kind of tools do you need to start, etc. Any tips, tricks, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I live in Hot Springs, Arkansas...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at FORUM: ARKANSAS for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome !
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
CrystalAdmirer - Welcome to TN! Every state has a department of mines and minerals (different states, different names) and they are a prime resource for reasonably-priced (often free) publications (including maps). In your case, there is also the office of the State Geologist:

I took a brief look at that website and there is a wealth of information here.

There is always the U.S. Geological Survey, but I suggest starting at the state level when you are first setting out.

Perhaps you'll find one of those famous Arkansas diamonds!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Welcome from Iowa. I have a place near Clarkridge, Ark. When the water level is low, I like to kayak Lake Norfolk,
Buffalo River, etc and check out the exposed banks and any sandbars/shoals. Good luck!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread