Newbie needs help selecting detector

n8huntsman

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brand new here! I spend a lot of time in the desert; black mountain foothills in Arizona near Oatman. Usually just taking the family out in the side by side but might as well be productive while I'm out there. The kids love rocks and playing in the dirt so I think it will be fun to get them involved in something like this. Ultimately I want a gold metal detector, dry washer, and a power sluice/concentrator. Got my eye on a used Keene 151 dry washer that I might pick up this weekend!

I've done quite a bit of reading and really wanted a Gold Monster 1000 for my price range. Then I came up on a $400 gift card to Cabella's/Bass Pro. Unfortunately they don't carry the GM1000. So I've got a choice to make, I wouldn't be apposed to a multi-function detector (Equinox 800?) because it might be handy on the beaches along the river where we also spend a lot of time in the summer. I don't want to sacrifice too much gold finding ability though because it's going to be difficult enough for a newbie as it is.
1.) Choose a different detector (In order or price)
a) Equinox 800 (11" coil) - *I'm leaning towards this one but dont want to have to buy a 6" coil $950
b) Teknetics T2 (11" and 5" coils, never heard mentioned on the Gold related forums) $900
c) Gold Bug 2 (6.5" and 10" coil) $850
d) X-Terra 705 Gold Pack (10" elliptical, 18.75khz) $730
e) Gold Bug Pro (5" DD Coil) $650
f) Garrett AT Max (8.5 x 11 coil) $720
g) Garrett AT Gold (5x8 coil) $640

2.) Use the gift card for a sluice (non-powered) Seems over-priced at $250 with no pump. Fairly poor reviews...Never heard of Stansport brand name.

3.) Buy the Soteger M-3000 12 gauge shotgun I've had my eye on and get the GM1000 elsewhere, even though I can't find shells to save my life. This option will be the least popular with my wife for spending more money, lol.

Thanks for any feedback!

Upvote 0

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to Tnet .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. :hello:

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
of the options you listed...i would say equinox 800 or the gold bug 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold only........the Gold Monster. Mixed use.....Equinox, and get the new 10 X 5 Coiltek coil.

ranoldd

Apr 10, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett detectors work pretty nice but I haven't used the 400 but if it works like the pro at all then grab it. I'm actually looking at one of these for my son, he's grown but wants a turn on and go type.

Last edited by a moderator:

ranoldd

Apr 10, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett detectors work pretty nice but I haven't used the 400 but if it works like the pro at all then grab it. I'm actually looking at one of these for my son, he's grown but wants a turn on and go type. .

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a $1000 budget, no way I would buy any Garrett machine. There's nothing they can do that an Equinox can't do better.

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First welcome, being new to hobby, you probably should find the best machine that can have success quickly, and with that I think who have or used one would agree with me, Gold monster 1k. Equinox is an excellent choice with a small coil for gold, and of course you can use it in all other ways, BUT it will likely take much learning and will likely take longer to be successful. Forget bout gold bug2. Only manual ground balancing. (I'm sure ill regret that statement, but I stand by it for someone with no experience)

OP
OP
N

n8huntsman

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input. I went with the Equinox 800. Probably would have gone with the GM 1000 if Bass Pro had it but I think a multi use machine may end up being the better choice for me. Ive had it for a few days and only used it in the front yard of my 33 year old tract home. I know the yard is dirty. With my old cheapy detector every hit was a roofing nail or soda can tab so I gave up. With the Nox 800 I found one can tab, 3 pennies, two dimes, a nickel, piece of cutoff copper pipe, an old tuna can and some other misc. items.... but NO nails! That was all with stock settings in Park 1 mode, auto ground balance, and sensitivity down around 15. I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly. Anxious to go find some nuggets. I am considering a new coil as well... maybe the above mentioned coiltek or the 6" from minelab? What would the difference between the two be?
Thanks

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the 6 inch coil mainly for prospecting nuggets but it’s very useful in trashy areas as well, the difference between the 2 is mostly size

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 10 X 5 Coiltek coil gives you better coverage, but, will still fit in a tight area. It's brand new and has limited availability at the moment. You may want to wait to get more feedback as it's advantage or disadvantage over the Minelab 6" round. Both should be a good option for trashy areas and tiny nuggets.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know this is a fairly old post but figured i would give my opinion

I fill you will be vary disappointed if you go with a ATP over a gold monster or a Xterra 705 i own all three still

The Xterra 705 in my opinion has always been one of the most underrated machines ever produced i purchased the ATP and the Xterra 705 at the same time in 2010 the ATP i never did Mesh with, anyone that tells you they dig anything over 5-6 inches with an ATP would have to show me in person to make me believe it, it is a fantastic detector on things buried under 6 inches but over that forget it, to me it was always one of the most overrated machines ever produced,
The Xterra 705 has been my go to detector since 2010 i have never felt a need to up grade it it does have some pretty steep learning though an can and will be vary frustrating at times but if you are willing to take the time and learn all of its capabilities it will not disappoint you,

the GM 1000 which I also own is probably the funnest of all three of those machines though in my opinion, even as a coin detector it is pretty much a turn on and go detector when you get over a non ferrous target it bangs really hard on it, all common clad coins come up on the gold chance side of the meter on the GM 1000 it is vary deadly on small non ferrous targets it pretty much only has two setting on it a volume and sensitivity everything else is pretty much automatic you do have to ground balance and occasionally re ground balance

the Equinox intrigues me and the Vanquish also which are the only other machine i would consider if i were in the market

i have a PI machine that is new to me that i purchased two years ago a TDI, I have yet to be able to take it out and dont really know if i will ever be able to get out again but it is what it is

OP
OP
N

n8huntsman

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a fairly old post but figured i would give my opinion

I fill you will be vary disappointed if you go with a ATP over a gold monster or a Xterra 705 i own all three still

The Xterra 705 in my opinion has always been one of the most underrated machines ever produced i purchased the ATP and the Xterra 705 at the same time in 2010 the ATP i never did Mesh with, anyone that tells you they dig anything over 5-6 inches with an ATP would have to show me in person to make me believe it, it is a fantastic detector on things buried under 6 inches but over that forget it, to me it was always one of the most overrated machines ever produced,
The Xterra 705 has been my go to detector since 2010 i have never felt a need to up grade it it does have some pretty steep learning though an can and will be vary frustrating at times but if you are willing to take the time and learn all of its capabilities it will not disappoint you,

the GM 1000 which I also own is probably the funnest of all three of those machines though in my opinion, even as a coin detector it is pretty much a turn on and go detector when you get over a non ferrous target it bangs really hard on it, all common clad coins come up on the gold chance side of the meter on the GM 1000 it is vary deadly on small non ferrous targets it pretty much only has two setting on it a volume and sensitivity everything else is pretty much automatic you do have to ground balance and occasionally re ground balance

the Equinox intrigues me and the Vanquish also which are the only other machine i would consider if i were in the market

i have a PI machine that is new to me that i purchased two years ago a TDI, I have yet to be able to take it out and dont really know if i will ever be able to get out again but it is what it is
I went with the equinox and a 6" coil. I've taken it out a few times for short periods and haven't found anything but I really don't even know where to look yet. Now that the whether is cooler I'll get it more. Now I see Cabela's carries the Gold Monster 1000. It would have saved me some money but I don't know that I regret the equinox at this point.

Mac22

Nov 2, 2021
Brand new here! I spend a lot of time in the desert; black mountain foothills in Arizona near Oatman. Usually just taking the family out in the side by side but might as well be productive while I'm out there. The kids love rocks and playing in the dirt so I think it will be fun to get them involved in something like this. Ultimately I want a gold metal detector, dry washer, and a power sluice/concentrator. Got my eye on a used Keene 151 dry washer that I might pick up this weekend!

I've done quite a bit of reading and really wanted a Gold Monster 1000 for my price range. Then I came up on a $400 gift card to Cabella's/Bass Pro. Unfortunately they don't carry the GM1000. So I've got a choice to make, I wouldn't be apposed to a multi-function detector (Equinox 800?) because it might be handy on the beaches along the river where we also spend a lot of time in the summer. I don't want to sacrifice too much gold finding ability though because it's going to be difficult enough for a newbie as it is.
1.) Choose a different detector (In order or price)
a) Equinox 800 (11" coil) - *I'm leaning towards this one but dont want to have to buy a 6" coil $950
b) Teknetics T2 (11" and 5" coils, never heard mentioned on the Gold related forums) $900
c) Gold Bug 2 (6.5" and 10" coil) $850
d) X-Terra 705 Gold Pack (10" elliptical, 18.75khz) $730
e) Gold Bug Pro (5" DD Coil) $650
f) Garrett AT Max (8.5 x 11 coil) $720
g) Garrett AT Gold (5x8 coil) $640

2.) Use the gift card for a sluice (non-powered) Seems over-priced at $250 with no pump. Fairly poor reviews...Never heard of Stansport brand name.

3.) Buy the Soteger M-3000 12 gauge shotgun I've had my eye on and get the GM1000 elsewhere, even though I can't find shells to save my life. This option will be the least popular with my wife for spending more money, lol.

Thanks for any feedback!
What an adventure…
Definitely go with a Garrett metal detector and definitely don’t forget a pinpointer (Garrett).
You have chosen a great outing for you and the family!
Happy Trails

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread