Newbie update and question

N

Northwoods guy

Hello- The used CZ5 I bought from Bob Kerr arrived late today. It looks new, not a scratch. I'm impressed. I went with the better jolly roger headphones for a few bucks more. I have some hearing loss, so I need all the help I can get :)

I took it out in the dark and figured out how to ground balance with the bobbing method. I think this glacial till here would be classified as mineralized. It balanced with a ground setting between 2 and 3. If I understand how this works that would indicate heavy mineralization, right?

What do you loose when you turn the sensitivity down to a low number? I would think you want it as senstive as possible, but Fisher has "2" marked in red on a 1-10 scale. I had the sensitivity cranked way up, but I think that was causing some false signals.

My nocturnal trial run didn't last long-fingers going numb. I will get better gloves and go down to the river tomorrow with a pick and sledgehammer for digging equipment. It won't be easy waiting for spring... Northwoods Guy

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't use the CZ5 but with all detectors using a sensitivity control you want to get as close to 10 (or past it) as you can.

The sensitivity control is your depth control.

On some detectors, a setting of 2 would mean a max coin depth of maybe 2 to 3 inches. That's maybe why the red color is there.

I figure some false signals are worth a working depth. If you get a signal you can always tune the sensitivity down to check for falsing.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
the red numbers on the CZ series are factory presets, "turn on and go" if you will. After balancing, you do want to go as high in sensitivity as the ground will allow. If you get a lot of false signals, back it off til it stabilizes. Did you get the manual with it? here's the link if you didn't, your manual is in the lower right hand corner, you will need adobe to read it. http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/op_mans.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread